British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   British vs. American Spelling (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/british-vs-american-spelling-755991/)

Primula Apr 24th 2012 1:53 am

British vs. American Spelling

I've noticed that a lot of people on this forum (who live in America) use British spelling. Am I the only person who has always used American spelling since I first came here? It never occurred to me to keep spelling words the British way, but now I am wondering whether, after almost 36 years here, that was really necessary.

robin1234 Apr 24th 2012 1:59 am

Re: British vs. American Spelling

When I first came here I tried to be consistent; I used standard English spelling when writing to family or friends who were British or Canadian, but always used American spelling at work in memos, reports etc. Now I deliberately mix and match, just to keep everyone on their toes.

Primula Apr 24th 2012 2:31 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 10022031)
When I first came here I tried to be consistent; I used standard English spelling when writing to family or friends who were British or Canadian, but always used American spelling at work in memos, reports etc. Now I deliberately mix and match, just to keep everyone on their toes.

That makes sense. I don't write letters now (who does?), but when I used to write home, I would always use American spelling, which now, on reflection, makes no sense.

md95065 Apr 24th 2012 3:06 am

I mostly use US spelling although I will sometimes write things like "colo(u)r" or "labo(u)r" and I can't even remember which of "-ize" and "-ise" is US or British ...

Primula Apr 24th 2012 3:19 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10022099)
I can't even remember which of "-ize" and "-ise" is US or British ...

I get confused too with some spellings. I only recently realized that Brits spell curb as kerb (at least I think they do).

SultanOfSwing Apr 24th 2012 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Primula (Post 10022109)
I get confused too with some spellings. I only recently realized that Brits spell curb as kerb (at least I think they do).

Yes, we do spell it 'kerb'.

I still use the spellings I used before I came here. I send off emails with things like -our and -ise in them all the time and I honestly don't think anyone notices :lol:

GeoffM Apr 24th 2012 4:30 am

American spelling for Americans, British for the British. Simple as that. Mind you, I can't be arzed :-) to switch the phone's language so the autocorrect on that goes a little OTT.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 24th 2012 4:31 am

English vs American Spelling?

I use English but sometimes my spell checker gets me.

Primula Apr 24th 2012 4:33 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10022164)
I send off emails with things like -our and -ise in them all the time and I honestly don't think anyone notices :lol:

Another strange thing, which I only found out recently, is that wedding invitations and such like here are always printed in British English. "We request the honour of your company; the reception will be held at such and such theatre," etc. etc.

And only recently did I find out that glamour is spelled glamour here. For 36 years I have been using my own spelling of glamor!

SultanOfSwing Apr 24th 2012 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Primula (Post 10022213)
Another strange thing, which I only found out recently, is that wedding invitations and such like here are always printed in British English. "We request the honour of your company; the reception will be held at such and such theatre, etc. etc.

That's coz us Brits are dead classy, like ...

rebs Apr 24th 2012 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Primula (Post 10022109)

Depends on the meaning - curb for curtail or limit and kerb for the edge of the pavement.

robin1234 Apr 24th 2012 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10022099)
I mostly use US spelling although I will sometimes write things like "colo(u)r" or "labo(u)r" and I can't even remember which of "-ize" and "-ise" is US or British ...

"-ize" is correct in both British and American standard spelling. However, "In the last few decades, the suffix -ise has become the more common spelling in the UK." In the UK, Oxford University Press, among others, still insists on the form "-ize."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_spelling

TimberHut Apr 24th 2012 1:11 pm

I often use American when mailing some friends - just to p#ss them off.

Some bite more than others.

Weeze Apr 24th 2012 1:42 pm

I used to make an effort to change the autocorrect from US spellings back to English on my iPad. Now I generally can't be arsed and get lots of " you are spelling like an American" responses. Actually I'm just lazy.

ChocolateBabz Apr 24th 2012 1:47 pm

I like to use both, preferably in the same post or e-mail, it makes me feel bilingual !