Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Being forced to wheel fat people

Being forced to wheel fat people

Old Nov 8th 2013, 5:59 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being forced to wheel fat people

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Yes. Ironically, I don't. I'm the 'at will' employee.
That's interesting.

I work in the medical field and job "descriptions" constantly change and goal posts are constantly moved. Generally, if employees can't adapt they are dispensed with.

Recently, there was a situation where new responsibilities were added to a certain position that required manual dexterity and hand eye coordination (working with tiny things using tiny tools, etc.). One person who had held that position for many years, and is over 70 years old, simply couldn't/wouldn't/didn't learn some of the new requirements due to arthritis and poor eyesight. These duties were basically left (forced on) another person, who was more able, but it wasn't their responsibility, per se. It came to a stand-off where they were basically going to force this person out. I thought it smacked of age discrimination but, apparently, they weren't going to sack her because of her age but rather because of her abilities, so everything was legally hunky-dory. Eventually it all got settled and the company decided to get more help and work with the elderly employee rather than be complete dicks.

Incidentally, another person who couldn't do something else that was required because they were too fat was unceremoniously canned.

Another problem we have is that they keep adding more difficult and complex duties, that require some intelligence and thought, onto positions that they've filled with stupid people. My argument is that they should stop hiring stupid people. Management's argument is that stupid people should stop being stupid. It makes me want to stab myself.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:00 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Ignorant? For finding people who eat themselves into a wheelchair offensive? Society might condone the fatties here, I don't.
People are obese for all kinds of reasons. My Mum had a friend whose daughter had emergency appendix surgery at the age of 19. The surgery went wrong and due to it, she had all kinds of medical problems which resulted in her becoming clinically obese. A supposedly simple operation would have addressed the problem, but the poor girl was terrified of being operated on again. She was dead by 25

You can often be wrong jumping to your judgmental conclusions
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:01 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Maybe I'm used to California since it is quite common for hospitals close down due to striking medical staff.
She doesn't work for a hospital.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Are you for real??????

there are MANY reasons that some people are obese and "eating themselves into a wheelchair" is just one of them!..... .
There are many reasons, but when 30% of the population of the US, UK, Mexico, and a number of other countries, are categorised as obese, the only logical conclusion is that most of them are obese only because of voluntary over-consumption and/or a lack of exercise.

Originally Posted by N1cky
.... You can often be wrong jumping to your judgmental conclusions
He might be wrong some of the time, but I bet that statistically he is right most of the time.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 8th 2013 at 6:06 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

What happens when she injures herself at work which could potentially change her life forever? Would you care if she was pissed with you then for interfering to stop it?
I think your wife has to make a choice. Continue to work in an environment where she doesn't feel comfortable, or leave.

I am an RN. I have practiced in the US for nearly thirty years. There are many aspects of my job that I don't particularly like. However, nursing is a career I chose, it is my job, and I do it to the best of my ability. Who will take care of these patients if I don't?
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:05 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

What happens when she injures herself at work which could potentially change her life forever? Would you care if she was pissed with you then for interfering to stop it?
She's a grown up. She doesn't need me to come barging into her business.

Having said that, I think you should do it. Let us know how it goes. Post pics.
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Are you for real??????

there are MANY reasons that some people are obese and "eating themselves into a wheelchair" is just one of them!

I bet you're all for killing off mentally retarded people as well?

While you're at it, why not join the nearest White Supremist group?

You're sick. Go get help.
Don't talk such nonsense. You are once again thinking everyone in a wheelchair who is obese isn't there because they have a huge appetite. All because of your own personal family experience.

To you I say this: get real. 99% of those fatties in wheelchairs are there because they stuffed their faces.
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are many reasons, but when 30% of the population of the US, UK, Mexico, and a number of other countries, are categorised as obese, the only logical conclusion is that most of them are obese only because of voluntary over-consumption and/or a lack of exercise.
Yeah, come on - let's be honest, the medical reasons are much fewer and farther between. I know I voluntarily over eat, I love rich often fatty food and I love sweets. I hate health food and excercise pisses me off as do most of the people who do it and constantly bang on about it.

Therefore, I'm a fatty and I don't give two shits.

Why do people constantly need a 'disadvantaged' group to wring hands over
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:06 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear Horace.

Just.... oh dear.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:06 pm
WTF?

Ignorant? For finding people who eat themselves into a wheelchair offensive? Society might condone the fatties here, I don't.
See, this is where you're going to blow your own argument up. It's not a matter of what society condones. The fat people, that you find so offensive, are paying customers.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:07 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
People are obese for all kinds of reasons. My Mum had a friend whose daughter had emergency appendix surgery at the age of 19. The surgery went wrong and due to it, she had all kinds of medical problems which resulted in her becoming clinically obese. A supposedly simple operation would have addressed the problem, but the poor girl was terrified of being operated on again. She was dead by 25
That's the 1%.

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Therefore, I'm a fatty and I don't give two shits.
Maybe two shits would make you less fat?
Banned

Originally Posted by Leslie
See, this is where you're going to blow your own argument up. It's not a matter of what society condones. The fat people, that you find so offensive, are paying customers.
They're paying for a medical service, NOT to be wheeled to and from their mode of transport.
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:08 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Nutek
She's a grown up. She doesn't need me to come barging into her business.

Having said that, I think you should do it. Let us know how it goes. Post pics.
+1

(I'm a coward but I live vicariously through people who have no filters)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.