Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Being a doctor in UK vs USA

Being a doctor in UK vs USA

Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being a doctor in UK vs USA

Originally Posted by expatdoc
I dont think medical insurance is much better with that regard but dental for sure seems more bunch of cowboys.

Looks like I will get my teeth done next time in Blighty by my mates from dental school who were there when I did medicine.

Again I paid squat for med school in england but I worked there for a few years but I still feel a loyalty there for giving me the education and I still feel medical education is FAR superior there to here, undergrad wise.

Looking back I came to the US looking for that golden ticket. I may have seen bright lights etc etc but have been disappointed in so many ways.

Hence those people that come on here saying want to live near disneyland, nyc, hollywood think again the reality here is very different.
Then I don't quite understand why you are here wondering what others would do in your situation. You keep making it clear that you aren't happy in the US, so escape the misery and return to the U.K. As you say, the US isn't for everyone and life's too short to be somewhere you don't want to be.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdoc
Just out of curiosity forget about the 5k but how on earth did you get a machete injury?!!

Fighting to save a kitten from savages.

But in reality...check the end of the hurricane Irma thread. Tiredness during a hurricane cleanup, plus basic violation of boy-scout wood-cutting rules, plus inadequate safety gear (flip flops) equalled a nasty gash on my leg, to the bone.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
.... My machete injury had me waiting in ER for 7 hours before I was seen (OK, not insurance related); the final bill will run into the teens I imagine, .....
If it only runs into the teens consider yourself d@mn lucky. I had a couple of skin ulcers that had to be excised as I was developing blood poisoning - and after the most minor surgery imaginable, and three nights on a drip for the blood poisoning the bill came to over $20,000. "Luckily" my share was only $2k. And that was nearly nine years ago, so assume that it would be a good bit more today.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Hmm I don't think that's all dental insurance though. Mine has a price list I can refer to.

My medical insurance on the other hand is a joke. My machete injury had me waiting in ER for 7 hours before I was seen (OK, not insurance related); the final bill will run into the teens I imagine, because I had an operation to clean the wound. My share will probably be around 5k.
Perhaps petitief might consider finding another dentist. In my experience dental offices are fully aware of how much they will likely receive from a particular insurer - the good ones have it down to a science. I have never been surprised by a bill so I gently suggest the issue lies with the competency of the dental office business staff.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 8:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Perhaps petitief might consider finding another dentist. In my experience dental offices are fully aware of how much they will likely receive from a particular insurer - the good ones have it down to a science. I have never been surprised by a bill so I gently suggest the issue lies with the competency of the dental office business staff.
no. I don't think so. If you read what I wrote you will see that I phoned my insurance company myself.
My dentist's staff are first class and as a very experienced dental hygienist who was also a practice manager at one point, I think I know good staff. I also confirmed this information on dentaltown - it is the norm in the USA and a constant source of irritation for dentists in the US.

Like most excellent dentists, mine is out of network for all insurance companies. He refuses to be told how to work and what to charge. For this reason, they will not tell him or me what they will reimburse. Your practice must be in-network and are charging what they are told to in order to be in-network.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
no. I don't think so. If you read what I wrote you will see that I phoned my insurance company myself.
My dentist's staff are first class and as a very experienced dental hygienist who was also a practice manager at one point, I think I know good staff. I also confirmed this information on dentaltown - it is the norm in the USA and a constant source of irritation for dentists in the US.

Like most excellent dentists, mine is out of network for all insurance companies. He refuses to be told how to work and what to charge. For this reason, they will not tell him or me what they will reimburse. Your practice must be in-network and are charging what they are told to in order to be in-network.
Fair enough, I guess that's the choice when you go out of network. Although there is always the other side of the coin for professionals who are not accepted by insurance companies its not a one sided view (well I suppose it always is for some). Perhaps they don't meet the requirements of the Insurance company? Claiming, refusing to be told how to work/ what to charge may possibly be obsfuscation for a different reality - just saying....
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:17 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, I guess that's the choice when you go out of network. Although there is always the other side of the coin for professionals who are not accepted by insurance companies its not a one sided view (well I suppose it always is for some). Perhaps they don't meet the requirements of the Insurance company? Claiming, refusing to be told how to work/ what to charge may possibly be obsfuscation for a different reality - just saying....
actually, it mostly comes down to money. The insurance companies don't pay enough and most practices that are in-network are often new start ups or struggling to get enough new patients.

My own dental insurance pays out the same whether the practice is in network or out of network but we have good insurance.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

actually, it mostly comes down to money. The insurance companies don't pay enough and most practices that are in-network are often new start ups or struggling to get enough new patients.

My own dental insurance pays out the same whether the practice is in network or out of network but we have good insurance.
If I stay in network, the costs are split 20:80, if I go out of network, its 50:50.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I suppose my dentist who owns three highly regarded and awarded offices in a city of 1.4 million and has been in business for 25 years must be still be considered a start up in the dental world then??

I truly believe a dental business office that cannot accurately predict costs in or out of network is being less than honest with its clientele. After all, it is the lifeblood of the business ...However, some of them do seem to have rather expensive and idiosyncratic tastes to support:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...ting-zimbabwe/

Which less than honest accounting would certainly help fund.

Last edited by vikingsail; Sep 22nd 2017 at 6:46 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Well I suppose my dentist who owns three highly regarded and awarded offices in a city of 1.4 million and has been in business for 25 years must be still be considered a start up in the dental world then??

I truly believe a dental business office that cannot accurately predict costs in or out of network is being less than honest with its clientele. After all, it is the lifeblood of the business ...However, some of them do seem to have rather expensive and idiosyncratic tastes to support:
Cecil the Lion Died One Year Ago—Here's What's Happened Since

Which less than honest accounting would certainly help fund.
I think there may be a perfectly good explanation. I practiced for many years and have dealt a lot with dental insurance. A simple routine dental cleaning is usually covered 100%. A deep scaling which usually requires local anesthesia and is much more involved ,has a different procedure code and is covered differently by insurance companies usually 80 %. A front desk person could easily confuse the two.
If the good doctor OP ever goes into private practice he will quickly understand problems of dealing with patients and their insurance providers.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

actually, it mostly comes down to money. The insurance companies don't pay enough
You mean "as much as he wants". You won't find any dentists who are struggling to pay the bills unless they have no patients, it's not one of the underpaid professions.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:15 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Anian
You mean "as much as he wants". You won't find any dentists who are struggling to pay the bills unless they have no patients, it's not one of the underpaid professions.
really?

paying for their education to become a dentist, paying for the practice start up costs - all that equipment is not cheap, paying for staff, paying for the premises, mandatory ongoing dental education, insurance.

I know plenty of dentists that struggle for years and years to make a decent living and provide good treatment for their patients.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

really?

paying for their education to become a dentist, paying for the practice start up costs - all that equipment is not cheap, paying for staff, paying for the premises, mandatory ongoing dental education, insurance.

I know plenty of dentists that struggle for years and years to make a decent living and provide good treatment for their patients.
Exactly. Then you have to deal with patients who make an hour long appointment then leave in a huff over a simple
Misunderstanding about their insurance making no effort to discuss or clarify with staff costing the office an hour of lost production.
Most dentist I know, myself included would much rather the patient paid upfront, given a detailed receipt and deal with the insurance company themselves. It is after all their insurance and the dental office is doing them a big favor to file it for them at a great cost of time, money and aggravation.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 12:39 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Most dentist I know, myself included would much rather the patient paid upfront, given a detailed receipt and deal with the insurance company themselves. It is after all their insurance and the dental office is doing them a big favor to file it for them at a great cost of time, money and aggravation.
Just an aside, but that's how it worked in France. The system was set up so that it was possible for the dentist or doctor to be paid by the insurance companies and this was widely publicised as the great advantage of the carte vitale smart cards with all our health insurance on them. The reality though was that they took 6-12 months to pay the dentist or doctor, so the patients had to carry on paying it out. The insurance companies refunded the patients by the end of the month ( which was mandatory).