Beer and Travels!

Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

ols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the rough
Default Beer and Travels!

Hi all

A friend and I are planning an RV trip for later in the year. As we pass through several states I wondered if there were any laws we should be aware of as we would like to have beer and liquor in the RV for when we stop each night!

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Ollie
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:12 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beer and Travels!

Originally Posted by ols-london
Hi all

A friend and I are planning an RV trip for later in the year. As we pass through several states I wondered if there were any laws we should be aware of as we would like to have beer and liquor in the RV for when we stop each night!

Ollie
Colorado - no open containers.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Ollie
It would help if you tell us which states you will be driving through.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

ols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the rough

Jerseygirl thats a pretty obvious point that I missed!!

Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Colorado!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Most states have the open container rule, so no beers while driving (or even as a passenger)!

There's nothing to stop you keeping beer, wine and spirits in the RV itself as long as there's no suggestion of drinking and driving.

Remember that you will be driving a large vehicle on unfamiliar roads, so there are more chances of attracting police attention than in, say, a car. Make sure that if (when!) you drink the night before, if you don't give enough time the next day, you could still blow over the limit, so make sure you're not going to spend part of your vacation in jail!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Most states have the open container rule, so no beers while driving (or even as a passenger)!

There's nothing to stop you keeping beer, wine and spirits in the RV itself as long as there's no suggestion of drinking and driving.

Remember that you will be driving a large vehicle on unfamiliar roads, so there are more chances of attracting police attention than in, say, a car. Make sure that if (when!) you drink the night before, if you don't give enough time the next day, you could still blow over the limit, so make sure you're not going to spend part of your vacation in jail!
Sensible advice thanks!

I was worried about transporting liquor laws or something like prohibition!!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

It's not all Draconian here, but small-town America *can* be backwards and even downright corrupt! No matter how right you are, remember, it's 'Yes, sir, no sir, three bags full, sir' if you get stopped. Watch your speed (which I'm sure you need to in an RV anyway) and just be polite.

Don't forget, the police, as well as many private individuals (especially in Texas) carry guns!!!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sensible advice thanks!

I was worried about transporting liquor laws or something like prohibition!!
Nah, you can carry alcohol across state lines for your own consumption. For commercial quantities its different with taxes coming into play, but you'll have no problem. ..... But be sure you have truly stopped and set up camp for the night before drinking, because simply being in a vehicle with keys to drive can, under certain circumstances get you arrested. ... Also watch out for camp rules; I have never been camping/ RVing, but I hear some camps are "dry".

Another thought, I have a sneaking suspicion that states neighboring Colorado and Washington may be making more "random" checks of RV's that have come out of/ through those states.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 25th 2014 at 1:05 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Nah, you can carry alcohol across state lines for your own consumption. For commercial quantities its different with taxes coming into play, but you'll have no problem. ..... But be sure you have truly stopped and set up camp for the night before drinking, because simply being in a vehicle with keys to drive can, under certain circumstances get you arrested. ... Also watch out for camp rules; I have never been camping/ RVing, but I hear some camps are "dry".

Another thought, I have a sneaking suspicion that states neighboring Colorado and Washington may be making more "random" checks of RV's that have come out of/ through those states.
There won't be any consumption of that type!!

I also hadn't thought of full set up. One of my friends got pinched in Austin for sleeping behind the wheel parked up so good point!

Also had not considered dry camps. Will have to bear that in mind when booking / looking at sites!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There won't be any consumption of that type!! ....
I wasn't suggesting there would be, just that the risk of being stopped in neighbouring states might be increased. So just remember, like Guindalf said above, be super polite and respectful if stopped/ questioned.

.... Also had not considered dry camps. Will have to bear that in mind when booking / looking at sites!
The word "family" in the name or description is a good clue, like "family restaurants".

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 25th 2014 at 1:19 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

I wasn't suggesting there would be, just that the risk of being stopped in neighbouring states might be increased. So just remember, like Guindalf said above, be super polite and respectful if stopped/ questioned.

The word "family" in the name or description is a good clue, like "family restaurants".
All good reasoned advice thanks! Still in the planning phase so useful to know and be aware of.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely recall that some states require alcohol to be stored in the boot/trunk (so even unopened alcohol can make you fall foul of the law). The exceptions are vehicles like trucks (where you don't want the beer to be out in the open) and station wagons (where there is no trunk).

If the RV has a separate boot/trunk area, it might be safer to store it there. If not, maybe store it in a closed compartment rather than having it out in the open. Also, maybe get rid of empty bottles whenever you can rather than having them in a garbage can inside the vehicle. Just don't throw them out of the window while you are driving along.

Always better to be safe than sorry.

Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
...... Just don't throw them out of the window while you are driving along. ....
Why on earth not? ..... In my neck of the woods, that appears to be the preferred method of disposing of empty beer bottles and cans while driving.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:49 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth not? ..... In my neck of the woods, that appears to be the preferred method of disposing of empty beer bottles and cans while driving.
It's also a way of gauging the "classiness" of the neighborhood...always breathe a slight sigh when the discarded cans turn from Red Stripe to Bud Light....
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind the water bottles full of trucker piss ...

Now that's how to make a highway look classy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.