Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Bee/Wasp Inside Home?!

Bee/Wasp Inside Home?!

Old May 16th 2015, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bee/Wasp Inside Home?!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
WTF are you talking about? Cans of wasp spray are sold specifically for the purpose in the US (they produce a 20-25ft jet of spray) and I have used them successfully a number of times, including a few weeks ago. A have a can of spray I keep "just in case"

I have never been stung while spraying a nest, or even threatened. I used spray once on a nest about the size of both my hands cupped together. Obviously you have to spray after dark, when the wasps are all back in the nest.

In short: indoors = bug bomb, outdoors = wasp spray (after dark)
An angry hornet or hornets will take little notice how far away you are and will attack. You have been warned.
Old May 16th 2015, 12:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
An angry hornet or hornets will take little notice how far away you are and will attack. You have been warned.
I have read the warning on the can, and use it as per the directions. I have used the spray maybe a dozen times, and never experienced a hint of a problem.

I don't recall seeing this type of spray in the UK ..... then again I never saw the types of wasps I see in the US in the UK either! So maybe you are unfamiliar with the sort of jet spray that a can of wasp and hornet killer produces? It is not a gas/aerosol (fine mist) spray; the effect is more akin to hosing down the nest with liquid insecticide.

Also most nests here in my area at least, are "open", not having an outer shroud, so you can see, and spray directly, all the wasps. I have a couple of nests on the shelf in the garage, so I will post a picture later. The large nest I referred to above was shrouded, but I was able to get enough spray into the nest entrance to wipe out the inhabitants.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 16th 2015 at 12:42 pm.
Old May 16th 2015, 1:01 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

On the odd occasion I've used them, there has always been an evacuation route prepared in advance, and after hitting the nest, I'm pretty sure even the Husain Bolt of the hornet world couldn't have got to me. Probably not even the HB of the human world! I must look like a right dildo when I do it, but I hate hornets....sneaky little bastards got me right between my shoulders a couple of years back when I was cutting some Palm fronds.....didn't even have the decency to buzz me or anything
Old May 16th 2015, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

I have read the warning on the can, and use it as per the directions. I have used the spray maybe a dozen times, and never experienced a hint of a problem.

I don't recall seeing this type of spray in the UK ..... then again I never saw the types of wasps I see in the US in the UK either! So maybe you are unfamiliar with the sort of jet spray that a can of wasp and hornet killer produces? It is not a gas/aerosol (fine mist) spray; the effect is more akin to hosing down the nest with liquid insecticide.

Also most nests here in my area at least, are "open", not having an outer shroud, so you can see, and spray directly, all the wasps. I have a couple of nests on the shelf in the garage, so I will post a picture later. The large nest I referred to above was shrouded, but I was able to get enough spray into the nest entrance to wipe out the inhabitants.
Thank you for the explanation. I however do not live any longer in the UK. Like you I am a retired Military Commissioned Officer and have lived and travelled extensively around the world including the U.S.A.

No offence was meant

Cheers
Attached Images  
Old May 16th 2015, 1:07 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Cans of wasp spray are sold specifically for the purpose in the US (they produce a 20-25ft jet of spray) and I have used them successfully a number of times, including a few weeks ago. A have a can of spray I keep "just in case"

I have never been stung while spraying a nest, or even threatened
I've used them a few times too....always just when I've found them starting to build a nest...hit it early before too many of them start to call it home. If I found anything that looked like it might be a multi family nest, I'd be calling in the pros ( see earlier post for measurement of my yellow streak when it comes to stinging bugs)
Old May 16th 2015, 1:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I've used them a few times too....always just when I've found them starting to build a nest...hit it early before too many of them start to call it home. If I found anything that looked like it might be a multi family nest, I'd be calling in the pros ( see earlier post for measurement of my yellow streak when it comes to stinging bugs)
Yeah, catching them early is the trick. The one I got a few weeks ago was a single cell/ single wasp, right over the door! It was the only time I recall dealing with a nest during daylight.
Attached Thumbnails Bee/Wasp Inside Home?!-20150516_100546.jpg  

Last edited by Pulaski; May 16th 2015 at 2:35 pm.
Old May 16th 2015, 2:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. Sometimes it was hard to keep up with the pesky things...they were building nests all over the place. They got their building materials nearby...water from the pool...wood from the deck. One year we didn't open the pool...I don't think we had one nest.
Old May 16th 2015, 2:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the explanation. I however do not live any longer in the UK. Like you I am a retired Military Commissioned Officer and have lived and travelled extensively around the world including the U.S.A.

No offence was meant

Cheers
Careful...insubordination will get you court marshaled.
Old May 16th 2015, 2:12 pm

Yeah, catching them early is the trick. The one I got a few weeks ago was a single cell/ single wasp, right over the door! It was the only time I recall dealing with a nest during daylight.
I do my own pest control, so include a regular inspection of the house, and, touchwood, nothing has grown too big so far...I've always managed to catch them early. Further out from the house I don't inspect so closely....that's my danger zone....plus the travel trailer....I found a large one being built under one of the back beams of the travel trailer when I activated it for first trip of the year a couple of years ago. It obviously wasn't built to hurricane code, because I just ignored it and when we got to that nights destination, it was no longer a problem
Old May 16th 2015, 2:39 pm

I do my own pest control, so include a regular inspection of the house, and, touchwood, nothing has grown too big so far. ....
Me too. The only exception I experienced, referred to above, was one that a neighbour let get to a fair size and shrouded. I agreed to go after dark and deal with it. I don't remember what happened to the nest; I wish I had kept it.
Old May 18th 2015, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Manjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Were they bees or wasps? Bees are nice so you should get them relocated professionally, plus they're diminishing in population. Kill all wasps.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manjo
Kill all wasps.
So you are a waspist ?
Old May 18th 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Manjo
Were they bees or wasps? Bees are nice so you should get them relocated professionally, plus they're diminishing in population. Kill all wasps.
Oh, they were definitely wasps.

I have never seen swarming bees. We do get some carpenter bees, which are solitary and destructive. The spray that the "pest services" use discourages them.
Old May 18th 2015, 11:42 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, they were definitely wasps.

I have never seen swarming bees. We do get some carpenter bees, which are solitary and destructive. The spray that the "pest services" use discourages them.
I've seen swarming bees. It's terrifying. I remember being a late teenager and my dad was outside cutting the front grass. It was like a huge cloud started dropping into the back garden. Then they started hitting the windows at the back of the house. I went screaming to the front of the house to get my dad and the dog in. By the time he came in (he was very slow) they had mostly settled. They had coved a huge stone ornamental bird bath and made it about three times the size. We phoned someone for advice, don't remember if it was the council bug people or a pest control company. They said their hive would have been disturbed so the worker bees would be helping the queen move by protecting her. They said to avoid the area for a few hours as they would be resting before moving on. We went out for a while, came back a few hours later and there were only a handful of bees left. For a few weeks there were always bees in the bird bath, presumably because a queen bee had been there.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 5:24 pm

A couple of nights ago I dispatched another wasp nest, this time up under the eaves, about 18ft above the ground, but inconveniently located above the porch. I considered climbing up on the porch roof to get closer, but decided against it becuase of the inherent difficulty in making a rapid departure in the event that became necessary.

I waited until after dark, proped a ladder against the porch, and equipped myself with a torch in my left hand and wasp spray capable of projecting a 20ft jet of insecticide in my right hand. It just took a few seconds, and most of the wasps on the "open" nest, perhaps a couple of dozen of them, were left dying on the porch roof.

So that's another successful mission completed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.