Attack in London

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attack in London

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
You know that Brexit (article 50) is due to be triggered next Wednesday? Tomorrow in London there is a huge march organised against Brexit.
Saturday - but here's the information for those interested.
https://www.uniteforeurope.co.uk/

There is also one planned in Rome on the same day, if that's nearer to attend.
Let's #MarchForEurope2017 - News - ALDE

Brussels (https://www.facebook.com/events/1812530828971846/)

Berlin (https://www.facebook.com/events/1308889392492652/) taking place from 12.00, starting at Bebelplatz in Mitte

Madrid from 18.00, starting at the Plaza del Callao

Paris (https://www.facebook.com/events/1801586183437933/) taking place from 12.00 to 15.00, starting from Place du Palais-Royal

Warsaw from 12.00, from Orzedstawiecielstwo Komisji Europejskiej W Polsce

Last edited by Red_Wine_Fairy; Mar 23rd 2017 at 9:24 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:28 pm
Banned

albanks2542 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Brexit, right?
The government could stop it I am sure if they really wanted to but they have no stomach for that backlash from the voters.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
Saturday - but here's the information for those interested.
https://www.uniteforeurope.co.uk/
Ohhhh! I was thinking today was Friday. I've got the wine in the fridge chilling ready to wind down from a busy, busy week... and I'd really convinced myself today was Friday

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 23rd 2017 at 11:03 pm. Reason: Fix quotes - BTW It is already Friday for me. :-)
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I was on the women's march back in January, from Grosvenor Square to Trafalgar Square. It was a lot of fun, but I was very conscious that for a lot of the route, we were marching in half of the road, and the other half of the road was normal traffic - sometimes travelling fast. I did think of terrorist danger. With the march this weekend, maybe they'll actually close more roads to reduce this danger to pedestrians. The logistics of traffic planning for a march must be prodigious...
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
I was on the women's march back in January, from Grosvenor Square to Trafalgar Square. It was a lot of fun, but I was very conscious that for a lot of the route, we were marching in half of the road, and the other half of the road was normal traffic - sometimes travelling fast. I did think of terrorist danger. With the march this weekend, maybe they'll actually close more roads to reduce this danger to pedestrians. The logistics of traffic planning for a march must be prodigious...
When did you come out?

Time to change the photo
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 10:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
When did you come out?

Time to change the photo
There were dogs, children, men, all sorts there ...
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:07 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's already happened, and a number of men have been stripped of their British citizenship, though I think it has only been applied to a small proportion of the known cases. One of the problems is that it is only being applied to dual citizens, in other words the British government won't strip someone of their British citizenship and leave them stateless.
As if anyone should lose a night's sleep over that.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
As if anyone should lose a night's sleep over that.
For once, I agree with you. .... Though personally I am inclined to prefer "lifeless" over "stateless".
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:11 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Police who are positioned around the houses of parliament which is a high security area should be armed at all times just as police at Heathrow are.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

What this does show is that firearms are probably difficult to obtain in the UK otherwise I'm pretty sure this guy would have been armed with something other than a knife.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
True. Looking at the distance he drove on the pavement, were there no street lights or other more substantial obstructions?
Like on many bridges, the streetlights are attached to the outer bridge railings. Looks like this guy took at least a minute looking at Google Streetview...

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 24th 2017 at 1:37 am.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
What this does show is that firearms are probably difficult to obtain in the UK otherwise I'm pretty sure this guy would have been armed with something other than a knife.
As was also illustrated by the "Brexit" murder of MP Jo Cox.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
He wouldn't have been able to get a firearm legally as he would have failed the background check, but I dare say that illegal firearms are easy to get hold of - especially in London.

If one is a law abiding citizen then firearms aren't too difficult to acquire via the proper channels.

As appalled as I am to say, I think the terrorist could have done more damage than he unfortunately did with relative ease.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 1:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
.... As appalled as I am to say, I think the terrorist could have done more damage than he unfortunately did with relative ease.
Bizarrely, that is usually the case with terrorist attacks - horrific though the 9/11 attacks were, it is a miracle that "only" just over 3,000 people were killed, and nearly 10% of those were firemen who went into the twin towers after they were hit.

With some notable exceptions IRA bombs on the mainland often seemed to be designed to cause damage, inconvenience, chaos, and yes, terror, more than to actually kill people, with the Bishopsgate, St Mary Axe, and Canary Wharf bombs in the 1990's being examples.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 24th 2017 at 3:02 am.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 2:52 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
As was also illustrated by the "Brexit" murder of MP Jo Cox.
She was shot and stabbed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.