Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

apps and travelling....

apps and travelling....

Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default apps and travelling....

Just back from a couple of weeks in Europe and the UK.

T-mobile data service was absolutely fine and didn't cost me anything extra.

I deleted FB app from my phone and tablet months ago. Didn't miss it and didn't need it once. There was the odd time I thought it would be nice to post a photo but actually, my abilities as a photographer are limited to say the least. My sister, my dad, my son and my daughters either don't have FB accounts or or don't post to them much. I quite liked not having the distraction.

Messenger was vaguely useful but not much.

Whatsapp was great for messaging and calling those I needed to. No cost involved.

I got a google voice number before I left and downloaded a hangouts dialler. This was free. To call back to the US from EU was free using google voice. To call mobiles and phone numbers in the UK/EU was 1 cent a minute. Using t-mobile would have cost me 20cents a minute. I had to call the airlines customer service line a few times with waiting times of 20 minutes+ so google voice saved me quite a bit there.

I could have got an EU sim but continuing with my own US sim meant that I got the calls from the USA that I needed.

The star of the show for me was google maps. In the cities, the public transport option was fabulous as were the walking directions.

Netflix for those first jetlagged nights when I couldn't get to sleep!

Kindle app on my tablet for reading.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: apps and travelling....

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Whatsapp was great for messaging and calling those I needed to. No cost involved.
Unless you're travelling to Dubai. My mother recently discovered that Whatsapp calling is banned there.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Anytime I travel I go completely cell phone free, we don't get service outside of Canada, I like it as people can't bother me on my vacation namely co-workers....

I used google voice or whatever it's called sometimes, but have always found it somewhat unreliable, and try not to use it for important calls or calls where there will be a hold time since they seem to drop a fair amount of the time.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Unless you're travelling to Dubai. My mother recently discovered that Whatsapp calling is banned there.
And China.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I got a google voice number before I left and downloaded a hangouts dialler. This was free. To call back to the US from EU was free using google voice.
I think you mean using Google Hangouts (which is a VOIP App). Google Voice would actually use your cell phone carrier to place the call. A good explanation here in the replies:

https://productforums.google.com/for...ce/Mok6XVcztyA
Old Aug 21st 2017, 10:10 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I think you mean using Google Hangouts (which is a VOIP App). Google Voice would actually use your cell phone carrier to place the call. A good explanation here in the replies:

https://productforums.google.com/for...ce/Mok6XVcztyA
yes, you're right.
The app displays my google voice number for hangouts. When I make calls using my cellphone, I am given the option of using google voice or the device number.