Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Anyone used Norwegian Air?

Anyone used Norwegian Air?

Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone used Norwegian Air?

I just remembered a year or two ago I was sat next to somebody on an airport-parking bus at LAX. She was on the phone to somebody or other and was bemoaning having to deal with irate passengers again. Turns out she was a ground agent for Air Berlin and she was fed up with the daily pile of baggage that never made it to LAX - an apparently rather large pile every single flight. I can't imagine there were significant weight restrictions and I don't recall her saying why.

Seems they don't fly any more.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
FT is behind a paywall.

Is Norwegian about to go belly up?
ETA : Link removed could get it from a google search but not from the link.

Looks like they are selling aircraft to raise cash.

An abbreviated cut and paste to keep within BE rules

Norwegian Air Shuttle is raising fresh capital, selling off some aircraft and putting its frequent flyer scheme up for sale as the fast-growing low-cost airline tries to shore up its finances. Norwegian also announced deepening estimated losses for the first quarter despite rapidly increasing revenues. The low-cost carrier, which has targeted the long-haul market with flights from Europe to the US, Asia and Argentina, will raise NKr1.3bn ($165m) through a private placement, it announced on Tuesday. It will sell five Airbus 320neo aircraft that will lead to an estimated gain of $15m-$20m, while it has started a strategic review of its Reward programme that will look at “its incorporation and possibly ownership”. A subsidiary has also signed a sale-and-leaseback deal for six aircraft that will boost its liquidity by $250m.

Last edited by lansbury; Mar 21st 2018 at 4:57 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

EmmaDel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Not encountered this as only have Brit passport but I really like Norwegian air... Oakland to gatwick. Will only fly with them now
Agree. My parents only use Norwegian from UK in to Oakland to visit me as they've found it to be cheapest and had no problems. Also sometimes Norwegian quote prices that include two checked in bags each (plus food) at a cheaper price that 1 or 0 bags with others... And it's still also the cheapest price with them as it's on some special offer thingimigig. This tends to be an off-season deal but great if you can find it. If price is a priority, then they're good.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 3:11 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Did those of you who have flown with them fly cattle class? That's what I'm looking at for the prices, but some online reviews say that the seats are extremely uncomfortable and cramped. That's my experience with pretty much all airlines, with the 767s being even worse. How would you rate their economy seats against other economy seats? Worse? Better? The same?
Old Mar 25th 2018, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Did those of you who have flown with them fly cattle class? That's what I'm looking at for the prices, but some online reviews say that the seats are extremely uncomfortable and cramped. That's my experience with pretty much all airlines, with the 767s being even worse. How would you rate their economy seats against other economy seats? Worse? Better? The same?
I flew economy from Oakland to Gatwick on a Norwegian 787. I thought it was much more comfortable than the flight I took on a BA 777 on the same route. Check where the reviews that talk about cramped seats flew - Norwegian has both short and long haul flights and they also fly a lot of 737s and A320s.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 4:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I flew economy from Oakland to Gatwick on a Norwegian 787. I thought it was much more comfortable than the flight I took on a BA 777 on the same route. Check where the reviews that talk about cramped seats flew - Norwegian has both short and long haul flights and they also fly a lot of 737s and A320s.
It's Chicago to Gatwick, so must be a 787.

The reviews are all over the place so I don’t know what to think, but really, how bad could it be?

Can you check in online and all the usual things?
Old Mar 25th 2018, 4:24 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here on Norwegian at the back of the bus in December 2016. My dad came to visit in October 2017 also at the back. It was my fifth long-haul flight with them and never had any problems with the seats but they don't provide pillows or blankets. I am very short, just under 5 ft if I stretch, so I need a pillow behind my back otherwise my knees don't reach the edge of the seat. Or if I put my knees on the edge of the seat so that my legs are comfortable there is a big gap between my back and the seat. So I bring my own pillow and blanket. Other than that, no complaints. The food is awful but I always bring my own snacks when I fly.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I moved here on Norwegian at the back of the bus in December 2016. My dad came to visit in October 2017 also at the back. It was my fifth long-haul flight with them and never had any problems with the seats but they don't provide pillows or blankets. I am very short, just under 5 ft if I stretch, so I need a pillow behind my back otherwise my knees don't reach the edge of the seat. Or if I put my knees on the edge of the seat so that my legs are comfortable there is a big gap between my back and the seat. So I bring my own pillow and blanket. Other than that, no complaints. The food is awful but I always bring my own snacks when I fly.
The OH is 6' 4", but he's not comfortable in any economy seat and won't be coming on this trip anyway. My son and I are more average height and build.

I don't really expect to be comfortable, just don't want to be in agony. And I do want all the check-in systems to work.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I flew cattle from Denver to LGW. It’s better than BA as they’re still using the knackered old 747’s on the Den to LHR route and the interiors of those are ancient and the seats are made up of mostly dust.

I wouldn’t say the seats on Norwegian were uncomfortable. If I wanted comfort I’d have paid to fly with someone else in a different class.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by BenK91
I flew cattle from Denver to LGW. It’s better than BA as they’re still using the knackered old 747’s on the Den to LHR route and the interiors of those are ancient and the seats are made up of mostly dust.

I wouldn’t say the seats on Norwegian were uncomfortable. If I wanted comfort I’d have paid to fly with someone else in a different class.
That's not something I'm in a position to pay for, but at the moment I'm more concerned about the many horror stories of lengthy delays of hours to days, canceled flights, and unavailability of customer service to sort it all out.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's not something I'm in a position to pay for, but at the moment I'm more concerned about the many horror stories of lengthy delays of hours to days, canceled flights, and unavailability of customer service to sort it all out.
Some latest reviews of Norwegian Air
Norwegian Customer Reviews | SKYTRAX
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Airline_...ghts-Norwegian
https://www.kayak.com/Norwegian-Air-...8.airline.html
Old Mar 26th 2018, 12:56 pm

Those about match what I had been reading, mostly on Yelp. When they are good they are very very good, but when they are bad they are horrid.

And don't call them on the phone. It's pricey.

"Service charge - phone and airport bookings
There's a service charge (25 USD per person, each way) for bookings and changes made by phone and at the airport."

Ouch. I really wanted this airline to work out but it looks a bit dodgy if you can't afford to risk being delayed by a few days.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.norwegian.com

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Mar 26th 2018 at 1:38 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Those about match what I had been reading, mostly on Yelp. When they are good they are very very good, but when they are bad they are horrid.

And don't call them on the phone. It's pricey.

"Service charge - phone and airport bookings
There's a service charge (25 USD per person, each way) for bookings and changes made by phone and at the airport."

Ouch. I really wanted this airline to work out but it looks a bit dodgy if you can't afford to risk being delayed by a few days.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.norwegian.com
Check out the reviews on here... Norwegian actually gets a higher overall rating than does BA. If you want an airline that truly has abysmal service, look no further than WOW air:

A-Z Airline Reviews | SKYTRAX
Old Mar 26th 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Check out the reviews on here... Norwegian actually gets a higher overall rating than does BA. If you want an airline that truly has abysmal service, look no further than WOW air:

A-Z Airline Reviews | SKYTRAX
I read those too. This entire thing has left me in a state of abysmal indecision.

Mostly, I just don't want the flights to be cancelled and have either myself or my son stuck somewhere for ages and have to buy other tickets on other airlines and attempt to get refunded by Norwegian.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had more issues with the established airlines. I point blank refuse to fly United, I couldn't care if their flight back to the UK was $5, I will never fly with them again and I've also had a number of issues with BA which is frustrating as my aunt has worked for them for over 20 years and can sometimes wrangle us a small discount.

I've not had any issues with Norwegian yet and until I do I'll be continuing to fly with them. Of all the times I've flown with them we were delayed once leaving Denver by about 6 hours and that was due to a blizzard that came in unexpectedly. Certainly wasn't Norwegian Air's fault and other airlines were grounded too. They provided us with meal vouchers which was a nice touch considering in my eyes they didn't have to as it was a weather issue, not an airline issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.