Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Anyone Remember These?

Anyone Remember These?

Old Jul 14th 2022, 4:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone Remember These?

I was cleaning up my curio shelves today and washed a miniature piggy bank I've had since I was a child. Out fell three tiny silver thruppenny bits, which I'd totally forgotten about. One used to be put in the Christmas pudding and the person who found it had good luck for a year (the good luck probably being that they didn't choke on it!). Silver sixpences were used when the thruppenny bits ran out. Here they are: from 1932, 1935, and a Victoria coin that appears to be from 1878.

Old Jul 14th 2022, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Remember These?

My mum had a couple of those from a Christmas pudding, she said, but I don't know where they are now. I think they were the George V ones.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 4:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
My mum had a couple of those from a Christmas pudding, she said, but I don't know where they are now. I think they were the George V ones.

My mum did too. They were used every Christmas in the Christmas pudding.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 4:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I obviously snagged them, so they didn't get recycled the next year!
Old Jul 14th 2022, 4:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I remember silver sixpences, not least because as a small child, after I aged-out of the free school milk program I had to take 6d to buy 1/3pt of milk at school. But I don't remember silver 3d coins - there were some brass 3d dodecahedron coins floating around at home when I was very small, but they would have already been out of circulation by the time I saw them. I think I still have some somewhere in a jar of old and foreign coins.

I must admit I do enjoy telling any Americans, if the subject of imperial measurements ever strays in the direction of currency being "always" decimal, that the UK used to have a 2½p coin!
You must have been poor, I am fairly sure that putting silver sixpences in the Christmas pudding was the usual tradition.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 14th 2022 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 5:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I

You must have been poor, I am fairly sure that putting silver sixpences in the Christmas pudding was the usual tradition.
No, the thruppeny bits pre-dated the sixpences. The sixpences started to be used when the thruppenny bits went out of circulation and were no longer available. And then of course they disappeared, too. What goes in the pudding these days?!
Old Jul 14th 2022, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I remember silver sixpences, not least because as a small child, after I aged-out of the free school milk program I had to take 6d to buy 1/3pt of milk at school. But I don't remember silver 3d coins - there were some brass 3d dodecahedron coins floating around at home when I was very small, but they would have already been out of circulation by the time I saw them. I think I still have some somewhere in a jar of old and foreign coins.

I must admit I do enjoy telling any Americans, if the subject of imperial measurements ever strays in the direction of currency being "always" decimal, that the UK used to have a 2½p coin!

Nope they were certainly silver thrupenny bits. You can clearly see it marked in the 3rd coin in post #1.

Old Jul 14th 2022, 5:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Nope they were certainly silver thrupenny bits. You can clearly see it marked in the 3rd coin in post #1.
Yes, I can see they're threepenny bits. But my post wasn't about the coins in the pictures, it was about the "usual tradition".

The Royal Mint certainly thinks it was/ is a sixpence that goes into a Christmas pudding and makes no mention of a threepence alternative.

I even Googled <threepence tradition> and it pretty much turns up a blank, finding a Wikipedia page on the threepenny bit, which makes no mention of "tradition", and then a series of hits most of which seem to relate to traditions surrounding the sixpence, and none as far as I could see, for the threepence.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 14th 2022 at 6:05 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 6:48 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Yes, I can see they're threepenny bits. But my post wasn't about the coins in the pictures, it was about the "usual tradition".

The Royal Mint certainly thinks it was/ is a sixpence that goes into a Christmas pudding and makes no mention of a threepence alternative.

I even Googled <threepence tradition> and it pretty much turns up a blank, finding a Wikipedia page on the threepenny bit, which makes no mention of "tradition", and then a series of hits most of which seem to relate to traditions surrounding the sixpence, and none as far as I could see, for the threepence.
From the article linked below:

The first coins used were silver farthings or pennies. After World War One, it became a threepenny bit and then a sixpence.

Today we use a five pence piece, but it’s courteous to warn people it’s in there before they tuck in, or they may break a tooth!

https://www.rumwellfarmshop.com/the-...stmas-pudding/

And another:
https://coincraft.com/5-silver-three...istmas-pudding

Last edited by Nutmegger; Jul 14th 2022 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
From the article linked below: ....
You, and JG, are correct, I hadn't realised that the sixpence was a relatively recent usurper of the role of the threepenny bit in Christmas puddings.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 14th 2022 at 7:45 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You, and NJG, are correct, I hadn't realised that the sixpence was a relatively recent usurper of the role of the threepenny bit in Christmas puddings.
if I remember correctly, they were smaller and thinner than the sixpence.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 7:49 pm

if I remember correctly, they were smaller and thinner than the sixpence.
They would be, because they were precisely half the weight of a sixpence.

To this day, coins in the UK can be "counted" by weighing them, so coins such as 1p and 2p have the same value per unit weight, as do 5p and 10p, and I think 20p and 50p, and then the pound coins certainly do. ..... Now don't get me started about nickels and dimes in the US!
Old Jul 14th 2022, 7:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was cleaning up my curio shelves today and washed a miniature piggy bank I've had since I was a child. Out fell three tiny silver thruppenny bits...
12 sided brass ones for me.

You mean you didn't get to keep them? It's an outrage.

I didn't really like Christmas Pud as a child but I took my portion for the chance of a cash windfall that was worth half as much as a tooth under the pillow.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 8:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by BristolUK
12 sided brass ones for me.

I've just taken a knife to my full-size piggy bank (yes, I dragged some really strange stuff across the Atlantic!) and there were three brass ones in there. Along with six big old pennies (two of them from 1918), a sixpence, and another silver thruppenny bit, also 1918.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 8:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I've just taken a knife to my full-size piggy bank (yes, I dragged some really strange stuff across the Atlantic!) and there were three brass ones in there. Along with six big old pennies (two of them from 1918), a sixpence, and another silver thruppenny bit, also 1918.
I think it was for my 40th birthday, hubby put together a selection of British coins from the year I was born. I have them somewhere, but there are no silver thruppenny bits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.