Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Any East Coasters...?

Any East Coasters...?

Old Aug 1st 2015, 1:24 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any East Coasters...?

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Then probably CT

Old Aug 1st 2015, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 1st 2015, 3:37 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I'll keep the beer warm.. err.. cold.. thick?
Old Aug 1st 2015, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I'll keep the beer warm.. err.. cold.. thick?
Cold...dark....
Old Aug 1st 2015, 6:36 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to NH for one year. Tax reasons. Because...California.

Then probably CT to be between Boston and NY and yes, shorter/cheaper flights to UK/Europe.
Originally Posted by Bob
I'd recommend west of from experience. Places like Seabrook and Hampton aren't bad, but they're miserably busy with traffic in the summer.

Exeter is close enough to the coast that you're on the beach quickly but away from the traffic, plus it's a lovely little town with a nice farmers market and down town. Plus it's close enough to I-95 that you're a short zip down to Boston or up to Maine....
Hmmm, you can see what you think of NH summer tourist traffic. Then multiply that by a lot, and that will be CT traffic.

CT traffic in the I-95 corridor between New Haven (CT) and NYC is much, much worse. And not just in the summer, but all year round....
Old Aug 1st 2015, 8:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
CT traffic in the I-95 corridor between New Haven (CT) and NYC is much, much worse. And not just in the summer, but all year round....
Hopefully not to bad around 3am in the morning...but saying that, the last time I bombed through at that hour, there were cops doing speed checks every where.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 9:51 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Hopefully not to bad around 3am in the morning...but saying that, the last time I bombed through at that hour, there were cops doing speed checks every where.
Definitely agree on both these points!

At 3 am you'll probably be able move along at a good clip, but the traffic--lorries & earlybird commuters, among others--will start getting heavy by 5am. It'll still be moving (fast) but heavily for maybe an hour before bogging right down....

And yes, it's when & where the traffic can get up to some nicely excessive speed that the cops like to lurk.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's good to know. I am used to LA freeways of course.
And since I won't be commuting I can decide when to drive.

I'm also interested in how practical it is to take the train to NY/Boston?
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

As opposed to driving to NY?
If you take a car into NYC it will become a pain in your butt. Off street parking is scarce and garages are very expensive. Taxis are relatively cheap though. So unless you have a NEED for the car, or unless you don't minding paying around $60 or more per day for a garage, I would take public transit.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes it's just the idea of jumping on a train to go to Manhattan or Boston, leaving the car behind, is so attractive since the CA system is so poor.
Also looks like I could take the train to Newark for a flight.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's just the idea of jumping on a train to go to Manhattan or Boston, leaving the car behind, is so attractive since the CA system is so poor.
Also looks like I could take the train to Newark for a flight.
As far east as New Haven you've got the option of both Amtrak and Metro-North to get into NYC by train. Metro-North is much cheaper, more frequent and pretty reliable but only gets you to Grand Central Terminal so you'd need to schlep over to Penn to connect to trains to EWR or JFK. Amtrak is more comfortable, should be a lot faster, but it can be crowded and very unreliable for timekeeping and to get the best fares you have to book way in advance. Maybe somewhere out in Nassau or Suffolk counties in Long Island might be a good compromise, especially anywhere with a good Long Island Railroad service to Jamaica for easy connections to JFK. Driving on the LIE though would be nightmarish.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Boston, doable but not that frequent and that great but would save the $40-70 parking unless you find a deal or get in on certain hours.

If you're heading in on the morning, you could probably drive down to Newburyport, MA and take the commuter rail in but parking is probably limited at the stop.

Personally, I'd just drive down to Alewife, $7 all day parking and there's a lot of it and then take the T into downtown. Red line about 15-20 mins. Though at the moment, think they're still doing construction so they bus you in from Alewife to Davis/Porter Square and that's about a half hour.