Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Any East Coasters...?

Any East Coasters...?

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 2:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any East Coasters...?

Originally Posted by rpjs
...... every New York State wine we've tried has been pretty undrinkable.
I think it's more about attracting visitors than selling wine.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Undrinkable wine.

An interesting abstract concept.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 3:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I dunno that that's a plus point. With the exception of the methode champenoise sparkling wine from the Brotherhood Winery in Orange County, every New York State wine we've tried has been pretty undrinkable.
Most is undrinkable, too sweet. However, some has that character sometimes described as "foxy" which I take to mean that unusual flavor imparted by the concord and other unusual grape varieties they grow up in the finger lakes. Take Bully Hill, for instance. 90% of their wines are sickly (too sweet, too bland) but I find some of them interesting once in a while. Their Baco Noir and Cabernet Franc and a couple of the other reds, for instance.

The wine museum at Bully Hill is one of the most interesting museums I've ever visited.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Virginia is very expensive to the north, and VERY rural to the south and west. VA is also very humid to the east in summer, around Richmond. Despite Mrs P coming from there I would find it hard to recommend an area in VA where you might be comfortable. NC is the same, very humid on the coastal plain, and the heat and geography makes it the same in most of SC. Mrs P assures me that Charleston is "nasty" (very humid) in the height of summer
I didn't find Richmond VA particularly humid. Weather was moderate with four seasons but summers were a bit warm for me. And the mozzies were hungry, but then i did live near water. Reasonable house prices. Richmond itself is balanced Rep/Dem, Charlottesville has a reputation for being liberal and anything rural is strongly Republican if not Tea Party. Easy to get back to Europe with feeder flights from Richmond to PHL and New York. All the usual facilities for healthcare, easy access to the coast, the mountains, and the big cities, ie DC and NY. Oh, and lots of 'history' in the area, with Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Monticello etc. there are worse places to live!
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 3:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Most is undrinkable, too sweet. .....
That used to be the way for the few wineries in NC when we moved here 11 years ago; there were about a dozen at that time. Within five years of us arriving there were forty wineries and many make very good wine.

One of our favourite wineries is run by a retired couple, former teachers, who learned wine-making techniques in France and focus on making the best wines from the grapes that grow here, and IMO they are very good, smooth, with good flavours, and not at all sweet, except of course for their dessert wine.

Now there are over eighty wineries in NC.

I don't know how many breweries there were 11 years ago. I don't remember there being any, but there were certainly very few. Now there are 120!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 22nd 2014 at 3:32 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Also it can be a little isolating, as the bridges can be closed off for potential storms and the like.
When i lived there i had a cape cod canal tunnel permit sicker for my car
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't allow the prejudice of someone who decided that SC wasn't for them to put you off. Charleston, SC is one of the cultural jewels of the East Coast, and would be high up my list of places that might have what you're looking for, or Ashville, NC in the foothills of the Appalachians. If "lake living" is more what you're looking for there are several lakes along the Catawba river, including several in SC. Lake Wylie is in SC, though effectively a suburb of SC, and just a few minutes from CLT.

Ironically all the cities in the Carolinas are chock full of transplants from New York and New England, many of them retired or approaching retirement.
I almost got a job in Charleston, I researched it and thought it would be a nice place to live, I'm sure i could get used to the humidity again.
We vacationed in NC & SC this year. I spent a week in Myrtle Beach, if there is one place to put anyone off an entire state then Myrtle beach is it
We rented a beach house on the ocean which we thought would be nice. But every night from about 10pm there would be a constant flow of rednecks setting off fireworks on the beach until 2am every night.

Wilmington, North Carolina is nice. But like most places I like on the east coast there's little work opportunity for me.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

This is all great info...I'm taking notes.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 12:23 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Also it can be a little isolating, as the bridges can be closed off for potential storms and the like.
I've heard it's usually only briefly that one or both Cape Cod bridges will be closed. High winds (70 mph sustained or more) in the area are the typical reason.

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
When i lived there i had a cape cod canal tunnel permit sicker for my car
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 12:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I've heard it's usually only briefly that one or both Cape Cod bridges will be closed. High winds (70 mph sustained or more) in the area are the typical reason.

I think that "isolation" thing probably depends on perspective ... if you actually live there, weeks or months could go by and you have no reason to go off Cape, so the bridge being closed for a while isn't going to faze you.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
I think that "isolation" thing probably depends on perspective ... if you actually live there, weeks or months could go by and you have no reason to go off Cape, so the bridge being closed for a while isn't going to faze you.
When i lived there it was over an hours drive and over the bridge to the nearest home depot. The mom and pop hardware store was very expensive. So sometimes it was worth the hassle.
With the tourist change over at the weekend you can often feel trapped on the cape at the weekends because the traffic is backed up for miles either side.

They didn't close the bridges too often as far I can remember, but they will cut the traffic down to single lane in high winds.

Tourists are tough to deal with. The cape has plenty of roundabouts, the tourists come and don't know how to use them, they think they can just drive straight in and not yield.

Also there are miles and miles of beaches but they are actually tough to get to. Car parks can be full by 10am easy. Resident parking permits are $35 but only limited to beaches in your town of residency. Go to a beach in another town and you pay the tourist rate.

I lived in a town called Sandwich, which is divided into East and South. I used to annoy the wife when driving past the road sign which read E. Sandwich and S. Sandwich, I would raise my voice and say Egg Sandwich Sausage Sandwich
Old Oct 24th 2014, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I'm more of a cool sea breeze than a muggy warm type of person.
Some may think that east coast summers are not too humid just like my relatives think Minnesota winters are not too cold but every time I've on the east coast in the summer or Minnesota in the winter, they are all wrong.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Some may think that east coast summers are not too humid just like my relatives think Minnesota winters are not too cold but every time I've on the east coast in the summer or Minnesota in the winter, they are all wrong.
Adaptation...Spend a couple winters in Minnesota...lol

When I lived in San Diego, I'd have a jacket on when it got into the 60's, now here in BC where the winters are cooler, I am out and about all day with just short sleeves, needs to be into the 50's before a jacket comes out.

I used to think -2C was cold, then I spent a winter where it stayed below freezing for several months getting into -30C range, then once -2 came back, it was downright balmy and comfortable.

Go to Edmonton in Spring and you will actually find people in shorts at 2-3C outside, months of -20C makes 2-3C seem pretty damn warm.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 7:14 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't allow the prejudice of someone who decided that SC wasn't for them to put you off. Charleston, SC is one of the cultural jewels of the East Coast, and would be high up my list of places that might have what you're looking for, or Ashville, NC in the foothills of the Appalachians.
The (beautiful) Carolina's are next on the Horace's holiday list you shall be pleased to know. I always enjoy heading down south. The lifestyle is slower and the people FAR friendlier.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
...... I always enjoy heading down south. The lifestyle is slower and the people FAR friendlier.
Unless you're a yankee. ..... Brits, on the other hand, seem to be especially welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.