Anti-pet peeves

Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:33 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-pet peeves

Driving in West Hollywood: getting the perfect parking space before you've had the chance to stress out driving around the block several times.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They grow here reasonably well, and I have had two of them* (already planted when I bought Pulaski Manor), but bizarrely they don't flower at all here because of the heat.

* One got flattened by a hickory tree that fell when hurricane Jeanne blew through in 2004, the other I dug up because it was misshapen/ lopsided, and obstructing a path.
They like a planting zone of around 4. I'm allegedly at zone 5 but have been told to plant for zone 4 "because you never know what will happen in Colorado"

I've learned to plant and appreciate what will grow in this climate. Before the lilac bushes I tried buddleia (butterfly bush) that is similar in blooms and smell and will last all summer long rather than two weeks of blooms. The buddleia flowered the first and second year I planted them and then after a long arduous winter they failed to come back.

I wish gardening hadn't have been so easy in the UK because practically anything we stuck in the ground flourished there. Not so here, and it's difficult to plant for high desert but I've pretty much done all kinds of early bulbs, colorado blue spruce, hollyhocks, sunflowers, juniper bushes, peonies, aster will all grow here and come back. And then there's the lilacs and snowball viburnums which are flowering shrubs.....but only for two weeks.

One thing I miss the UK for is the carefree gardening.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 10:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
They like a planting zone of around 4. I'm allegedly at zone 5 but have been told to plant for zone 4 "because you never know what will happen in Colorado"

I've learned to plant and appreciate what will grow in this climate. Before the lilac bushes I tried buddleia (butterfly bush) ......
That's funny, after I dug out the deformed lilac I planted a buddleia.
..... I wish gardening hadn't have been so easy in the UK because practically anything we stuck in the ground flourished there. .
We have had a lot of success with things that like the climate here - the azaleas and other bushes around the house thrive, including hydrangeas, a snowball bush, a fringe tree and couple of buddleias. Irises of various varieties also thrive, as do daffodils, and peonys; hostas do well, especially in the shady areas, but the deer eat them.

Vegetables that like the warm weather produce heavy crops with negligible care - especially tomatoes and cucumbers, and also beans and corn - corn which the deer and the coons just love! It is too warm for rhubarb, and we don't have the right sort of soil for potatoes, and the last time I tried to grow some a groundhog ate them.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 9th 2015 at 11:46 am.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 11:21 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Before the lilac bushes I tried buddleia (butterfly bush) that is similar in blooms and smell and will last all summer long rather than two weeks of blooms. The buddleia flowered the first and second year I planted them and then after a long arduous winter they failed to come back.
Buddleias are pretty hard to kill (especially in Zone 5 and warmer). We have a young one that seemed dead as a doornail after this last awful winter with snow up to 5 feet high. But I kept watering it through the drought & last month it slowly sent up a few little shoots from the root and now those are a few inches tall. So it wasn't all dead, maybe just half dead, and needed some time to recover....

One thing I miss the UK for is the carefree gardening.
Agreed!

Although I don't miss fighting the weeds that also grew so well on my property there--endless bindweed, thistles, cow parsley, bamboo that took over, and of course the ivy that did its best to cover our house.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Buddleias are pretty hard to kill (especially in Zone 5 and warmer). We have a young one that seemed dead as a doornail after this last awful winter with snow up to 5 feet high. But I kept watering it through the drought & last month it slowly sent up a few little shoots from the root and now those are a few inches tall. So it wasn't all dead, maybe just half dead, and needed some time to recover....

Actually, to be fair this is what happened with my buddleia, that it wasn't growing from the wood but instead grew from the roots like yours after it had been buried in piles of snow. My intention for the shrub was something of a screen between my house and my neighbours. It probably would have grown, but never to the giddy heights the bush would have in the UK so I pulled it up and put the lilacs there instead and they've been great as a screen and are enormous now after eight years.

I also have one particular rose bush that never grows from the wood but always sends up shoots. I didn't plant it, and it's in the corner of the yard but I imagine it wasn't meant for this hardiness zone. Still has great roses though.

Funnily enough I never dealt with bindweed in the UK but have to here. Weed and Feed seems to keep it under control but it does come back year after year.

We harvested the rhubarb about three weeks ago and it had liked the wet spring. Vegetables grow fine but the soil here is clay mixed with huge rocks. You could throw pots with it. Pretty much it all has to be removed and then we buy garden soil from Home Depot.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 2:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

(
Buddleias need to be pruned back really hard to a dead-looking bare stick every spring. I hack mine back unmercifully and by July have a great big tree again. I have a number of varieties of hydrangea, and some grow from the same wood as the prior year, but others -- in particular the limelight -- need to be cut back ruthlessly. Mine was a bare stick a month ago, and is now over four feet tall again.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Anytime the SmallChog naps
Sitting on my deck drinking mojitos and being glad I'm not stuck in an office in England
Playing Trivial pursuit over skype with my Best friends
When someone says "I love your accent" and doesn't follow it up with how Irish/Scottish/English they are because their great great grandmother came from somewhere in Europe
HusbandChog changing the sheets without being asked
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:05 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Buddleias need to be pruned back really hard to a dead-looking bare stick every spring. I hack mine back unmercifully and by July have a great big tree again.
I'm hoping mine will grow to a few feet at least this summer. Ours in the UK was gigantic and nearly pushed over a fence no matter how much I sawed away at its wayward branches.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I have a number of varieties of hydrangea, and some grow from the same wood as the prior year, but others -- in particular the limelight -- need to be cut back ruthlessly. Mine was a bare stick a month ago, and is now over four feet tall again.
We have the former variety of hydrangea (grows only from the wood), a beautiful dark blue. They came with the house & I'm not used to them, so I've been a bit afraid to touch them. But as they're looking very straggly I suppose I should try to tidy them up after the bloom is over. :/
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
Driving in West Hollywood: getting the perfect parking space before you've had the chance to stress out driving around the block several times.
HusbandChog has parking spot finding as his special mutant power. Though it is much more impressive in NYC than here in ATL
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
When someone says "I love your accent" and doesn't follow it up with how Irish/Scottish/English they are because their great great grandmother came from somewhere in Europe
That's my pet peeve! I don't have an accent. Everyone else here does!
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
That's my pet peeve! I don't have an accent. Everyone else here does!
I love that. I'd be sorry if it stopped, but it hasn't in the 13 years I've been here, and I still average about 3-4 comments a month about my accent. Two or three times a day isn't unusual. ..... My accent apparently hasn't changed since I left Sheffield at eight, so it is unlikely to change now.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 9th 2015 at 3:40 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I love that. I'd be sorry if it stopped, but it hasn't in the 13 years I've been here, and I still average about 3-4 comments a month about my accent. Two or three times a day isn't unusual.
You may be the only person who actually likes that.

I got sick of it the second time someone said it to me. I never thought I'd actually be relieved to be losing my accent but now I rarely hear it, it's much better. Until I go back home and everyone starts asking me if I'm American. Can't bloody win ...

That being said, another anti pet peeve of mine then would be when you're going about your daily business, when the complete strangers you encounter along the way in order to complete said business don't attempt to strike up a conversation with you because they understand that you don't know them and don't want to waste your time talking to them. Admittedly rare, that one.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

We have the former variety of hydrangea (grows only from the wood), a beautiful dark blue. They came with the house & I'm not used to them, so I've been a bit afraid to touch them. But as they're looking very straggly I suppose I should try to tidy them up after the bloom is over. :/
With hydrangea, i was tought that you leave the dead blooms on all winter, and then tidy up in the spring, just ahead of any buds starting to come out.

Seemed to work for me in England and Virginia. The trick is keeping an eye on then and heading with your secateurs at the right time. Think the idea is not to cut too early as this leaves them vulnerable to any late frosts.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 12:50 am
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by yellowroom
With hydrangea, i was tought that you leave the dead blooms on all winter, and then tidy up in the spring, just ahead of any buds starting to come out.

Seemed to work for me in England and Virginia. The trick is keeping an eye on then and heading with your secateurs at the right time. Think the idea is not to cut too early as this leaves them vulnerable to any late frosts.
Yes, it's impossible to know what kind of hydrangea you've got unless you've bought and planted it yourself....
Old Jun 10th 2015, 10:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's winter here, so flannel sheets and flannel pj's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.