Ancestry DNA

Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:03 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Ancestry DNA

Well, if you want an entertaining read, that somehow manages to cram in every conspiracy theory from Nibiru, Planet X, Elohim, ancient astronauts, Satan, Tower of Babel, Biblical creation, Rosicrucianism, the Illiminati, central banks, Jesus, JFK - this is the book for you. Get Mrs Sultan to get you a copy for Valentine's Day.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Well, if you want an entertaining read, that somehow manages to cram in every conspiracy theory from Nibiru, Planet X, Elohim, ancient astronauts, Satan, Tower of Babel, Biblical creation, Rosicrucianism, the Illiminati, central banks, Jesus, JFK - this is the book for you. Get Mrs Sultan to get you a copy for Valentine's Day.
Quite a large amount of that subject matter really isn't my scene, but I appreciate the recommendation.

I'd maybe give Erich von Däniken a go, but that's probably as far as I'd dip my toes into that particular body of water.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Quite a large amount of that subject matter really isn't my scene, but I appreciate the recommendation.

I'd maybe give Erich von Däniken a go, but that's probably as far as I'd dip my toes into that particular body of water.
That's a pity, there is a very fetching assortment of tin foil hats to choose from nowadays.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute

Well we were both impressed especially me being pinpointed to Southern England and her a Viking! And yes we are going to use another DNA company just to compare results.
Originally Posted by Octang Frye
The tests aren't very accurate - if you use different services, you get different results.

In a similar vein to Englishmum's post, this is sinister stuff.
When you provide them with your DNA sample, you're also giving these companies the rights to your DNA. And they can sell your personal data.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...he-fda-thinks/

https://www.wcpo.com/news/national/h...cestry-23andme

Just throwing this in for Sultan; In conspiracy circles, there's a theory the intelligence agencies are working in partnership with these companies to mine this information.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 1:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Floridablues
Well we were both impressed especially me being pinpointed to Southern England and her a Viking! And yes we are going to use another DNA company just to compare results.
It's so interesting isn't it.

My own dna test has slowly but surely pinned the family name of the missing paternal grandfather. I'm now looking at a process of elimination which is made easier as more dna tests come in .

Will you both now try to chart family trees? Or have you done so already.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Really, really don't bother. It's all total bunk. And I say that as a Fortean.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute

We both found it interesting, good luck with your search. It would be hard for my partner to chart her family tree as she is adopted! Just sent off the other DNA kits and looking forward to how they compare.
Originally Posted by BEVS
It's so interesting isn't it.

My own dna test has slowly but surely pinned the family name of the missing paternal grandfather. I'm now looking at a process of elimination which is made easier as more dna tests come in .

Will you both now try to chart family trees? Or have you done so already.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 2:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We both found it interesting, good luck with your search. It would be hard for my partner to chart her family tree as she is adopted! Just sent off the other DNA kits and looking forward to how they compare.
We are sending ours out today. Not interested in compiling a family tree just curious about one aspect of identification. With the thorough ethnic questions asked I can see where they pinpointed southern England for you and they will definitely come back with Poland and Germany for me and Ireland and the UK for hubby.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Would like to see my own family tree but at the moment just interested where my DNA is made up from. We used ancestory dna and i was not asked any 'thorough ethnic questions' for them to pinpoint me to southern England and East Anglia in particular where i'm from and the other large % Western Europe and Ireland/Scotland where my US fathers folks arrived from. Just sent off the 23and me 'spit' so looking forward to whats revealed this time!
Originally Posted by Rete
We are sending ours out today. Not interested in compiling a family tree just curious about one aspect of identification. With the thorough ethnic questions asked I can see where they pinpointed southern England for you and they will definitely come back with Poland and Germany for me and Ireland and the UK for hubby.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

She's not interested in finding her biological parents? If she watched recent episodes of Long Lost Family there were several adults who were seeking their biological parents as they were adopted and one set of siblings were looking for their sperm donor father. They all were able to find them due to the DNA testing by Ancestry.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 2:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
That's a pity, there is a very fetching assortment of tin foil hats to choose from nowadays.
It's OK, I prefer to make my own anyway.

Originally Posted by rpjs
Really, really don't bother. It's all total bunk. And I say that as a Fortean.
Oh yeah, it is. I like Ancient Aliens for the entertainment value, Giorgio's hair, and the interesting locations they visit, but that's as far as I go. I do believe that intelligent life is likely, as I said, but I don't believe they have been here, the scale of time and space make it rather improbable.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
She's not interested in finding her biological parents? If she watched recent episodes of Long Lost Family there were several adults who were seeking their biological parents as they were adopted and one set of siblings were looking for their sperm donor father. They all were able to find them due to the DNA testing by Ancestry.
Oh, think i misread/understood your previous reply about 'Family tree'
Now after i gave her the DNA kit as a xmas gift and shes really excited about her results, so much so its really her idea for another company test. Her 2 adopted siblings have both managed to trace some blood family connections but deep down i know one thing for certain has held her back and thats the fear of rejection and also the cost as it appears to be around the thousand dollar for a search though the Luthern Church records in Minneapolis Minnesota.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 2:02 am
`

It would be hard for my partner to chart her family tree as she is adopted!
Yes. I read that she is adopted.

If you did this through Ancestry you will be able to see if any of her dna links or matches to anyone else's dna.
Any links at all will relate to one or the other of her birth parents.

This is how I am narrowing the search for my paternal grandfather. Two 2nd cousins , among other links, have popped up that can only be related to the missing grandfather.

The fear of rejection is totally understandable.

Does your area have a facility or register whereby an adopted person can place that they are looking for their birth parents. Equally that birth parents are looking for their adopted out offspring ?

With that, once both sides match, then the registry sends out a notification to both parties.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info BEVS i'll pass on to her. I'm thinking once the second results are in then with her Brothers help who's up in Minnesota they will contact the Luthern adoption agency. Again good luck with your search, interesting stuff!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:47 pm
`

Thanks for the info BEVS i'll pass on to her. I'm thinking once the second results are in then with her Brothers help who's up in Minnesota they will contact the Luthern adoption agency. Again good luck with your search, interesting stuff!
Good luck . I would be interested to hear how you both get on with the whole thing.

With my own dna test , what I did was to start an Ancestry family tree precisely and only with a thought for the missing paternal grandfather.

I started with me and called that person 'Myself'. For my mother's side I called that 'Mother' and for my Dad's side I called that Father.
For grandparents I called them ....wait for it....Grandad 1 & Grandad 2 etc.
Get my drift?
I made sure that all those profiles were ticked as 'alive' as this gives privacy. I gave very approximate years of birth for myself and parents.

I then linked my dna result to that tree which I called something very neutral - for example 'Family Tree' and waited to see if any matches would pop up & they did which I will admit took me a little by surprise.

One can also make the three 'private' . That means people cannot see it as only public trees are visible BUT they will know that your dna is somehow a match to their dna.

Anyway, once you both feel ready, I feel this method would work for her to see if there is anyone out there who has taken a dna test and who is 'blood related' in some way. Remembering that 4th/6th cousins can be from many generations back.

I subscribe to Ancestry as it is an ongoing interest of mine and I chart for other people. If I can be of any quiet help, just send me a PM.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 14th 2018 at 6:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.