British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   The American's first UK visit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/americans-first-uk-visit-900584/)

yellowroom Aug 15th 2017 10:39 pm

Re: The American's first UK visit

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12317399)
Sounds like we had the same old haunts. From Nottingham I went on the RAF Leconfield near Beverley, a regular in the Green Dragon.

:rofl: yes, The green dragon is still there and doing well. Still a bit of a townies v squaddies split in the pubs in Beverley though, need to be a bit careful on Saturday nights.

johnwoo Aug 15th 2017 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12317466)
:rofl: yes, The green dragon is still there and doing well. Still a bit of a townies v squaddies split in the pubs in Beverley though, need to be a bit careful on Saturday nights.

I was in the RAF, we avoided getting into fights. You had to have a higher level of intelligence to be in the RAF. :)
I was in the Green Dragon 2012, hadn't changed much, they had made one big room instead of the old public bar and snug.
Beverley is a town where I could easily live. I'm half following Beverley on Facebook, a fun group of people.

markonline1 Aug 16th 2017 2:36 am

Take her for a cheeky Nandos!

dc koop Aug 16th 2017 4:38 am

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12317501)
I was in the RAF, we avoided getting into fights. You had to have a higher level of intelligence to be in the RAF. :)
I was in the Green Dragon 2012, hadn't changed much, they had made one big room instead of the old public bar and snug.
Beverley is a town where I could easily live. I'm half following Beverley on Facebook, a fun group of people.

You were right about the RAF requirement of "higher intelligence" When I passed the medical for National Service I was sent for service selection. I took the RAF entrance exam and failed it. I was marched downstairs to the Army selection officer and was assigned to the Artillery. I guess they had enough faith in me that I wouldn't end up pointing a howitzer in the wrong direction and blowing up our own chaps.

A year later in Malaya I was on leave with a group of pals at Penang, a popular R and R place for British Swaddies at the time.

We were In a bar knocking back the ale one evening when in walked six RAF chaps from RAF Penang also out for the evening. There were also a group of rowdy Aussie soldiers drinking at the bar all half pissed. They started to razz the RAF chaps hoping for a fight but the RAF didn't want a fight, words were exchanged, insults flew and the Aussies were all set to wade into them for a scrap anyway.

We Gunners decided to intervene when a couple of the Aussies started to call us Pommy Bastards. We took the Aussies on and the scrap ended in a draw with some black eyes and loose teeth on both sides. The Military Police arrived and hauled my group and the Aussies off to the MP Post and we all spent the night in cells. The happy ending of course was that your chaps all returned to their billets, safe. sound and unhurt. That's what Swaddies do, they keep the RAF out of harms way :lol:

dc koop Aug 16th 2017 5:09 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12307273)
As she is Texan she might be horrified by the winding lanes in the countryside and how fast people drive along them.

She's probably going to be shocked by the small cars and the even smaller car parking spaces !

It's to be hoped that she wont start sounding off about "how cute y'all are and how small everything is compared to back home"

I married an American girl and thankfully she does not have a big mouth but there are a lot that do flap off at the mouth far and away too much

robin1234 Aug 16th 2017 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12317593)
It's to be hoped that she wont start sounding off about "how cute y'all are and how small everything is compared to back home"

I married an American girl and thankfully she does not have a big mouth but there are a lot that do flap off at the mouth far and away too much

Let's face it, everything in England is small, especially the parking spaces. I married an American girl too, I avoid the potential problem by proactively slagging of Britain and the British much more resolutely than she ever would.

dc koop Aug 16th 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12317898)
Let's face it, everything in England is small, especially the parking spaces. I married an American girl too, I avoid the potential problem by proactively slagging of Britain and the British much more resolutely than she ever would.

Small parking places doth not a country make. The public transportation system in England is second to none. Getting around on buses or trains is a breeze. It makes such a great change from freakin freeways and daily gridlock. I speak this as a burned out southern California driver of many years standing.

My wife is very much an Anglophile. Her only negative comment was about the weather. ;)

Jack8602 Aug 16th 2017 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12317567)
Take her for a cheeky Nandos!

Already in the itinerary!

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 16th 2017 8:04 pm

The public transportation system in England is second to none.
You're right, none worse!

dc koop Aug 16th 2017 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12318291)
You're right, none worse!

Compared to the transportation system in and around Los Angeles it's streets ahead.
It's very gradually improving but around 60 years too late already.

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 16th 2017 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12318308)
Compared to the transportation system in and around Los Angeles it's streets ahead.

OK so that makes the British system the second to the worst!

Jack8602 Aug 16th 2017 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12318308)

I've seen one bus in the 20 months I've been in Texas. She'll probably be surprised by the amount of buses kicking about :rofl:

Octang Frye Aug 16th 2017 11:20 pm

I seem to remember something about US service personnel not wanting to fight British soldiers because the latter head-butt - something Americans don't do.

Any ex- British forces members confirm?

zzrmark Aug 16th 2017 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12318432)
I seem to remember something about US service personnel not wanting to fight British soldiers because the latter head-butt - something Americans don't do.

Any ex- British forces members confirm?

My ex was ex-military, no head butting but she had an evil right hook...

Scousers, Mancunians and Glaswegians (amongst others) that I know seem to favour the 'glasgow kiss' or 'scottish handshake' although I believe it is now a popular pastime amongst the drunk thugs all over the UK.
Us Devonians are far more refined, with glassings and stabbings being the preferred modus operandi at a few of my old haunts, not the sort of places I'd take the average better half....

johnwoo Aug 17th 2017 12:11 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12317584)
You were right about the RAF requirement of "higher intelligence" When I passed the medical for National Service I was sent for service selection. I took the RAF entrance exam and failed it. I was marched downstairs to the Army selection officer and was assigned to the Artillery. I guess they had enough faith in me that I wouldn't end up pointing a howitzer in the wrong direction and blowing up our own chaps.

A year later in Malaya I was on leave with a group of pals at Penang, a popular R and R place for British Swaddies at the time.

We were In a bar knocking back the ale one evening when in walked six RAF chaps from RAF Penang also out for the evening. There were also a group of rowdy Aussie soldiers drinking at the bar all half pissed. They started to razz the RAF chaps hoping for a fight but the RAF didn't want a fight, words were exchanged, insults flew and the Aussies were all set to wade into them for a scrap anyway.

We Gunners decided to intervene when a couple of the Aussies started to call us Pommy Bastards. We took the Aussies on and the scrap ended in a draw with some black eyes and loose teeth on both sides. The Military Police arrived and hauled my group and the Aussies off to the MP Post and we all spent the night in cells. The happy ending of course was that your chaps all returned to their billets, safe. sound and unhurt. That's what Swaddies do, they keep the RAF out of harms way :lol:

The RAF aren't as "macho man" as other branches, I never wore my uniform off base. A good night out didn't include getting into fights.