Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words you HAVE adopted

American words you HAVE adopted

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:01 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words you HAVE adopted

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Had not noticed this one, how do 'mericans say it?
There are the pronunciations that I prefer to hear in America, because they match better with how I say those words, and clash with the media pronunciation I hear in the UK, now I hear these words less, I cringe when I hear them from the UK. France is one example.
The same ‘a’ in ‘France’ is the one I was referring to in ‘lance’.

Lance in North America—whether a common noun, a verb, or a male name—are all pronounced with the ‘a’ as in ‘Lancashire’...if said with the ‘a’ from ‘palm’ people over here can do a double take.

(Whilst I was working in the NE, I had a colleague called Lance who had just been transferred from the UK...he wasn't in the States three months when even he started to say it in the standard North American way).

...and I no longer say ‘France’ as one would hear from a BBC news-reader either, but then I didn't exactly grow up speaking as if I went to Eton or Harrow.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christian
Interesting, I must not notice it because I have habitualy said it the American way; althougth it does not come up in conversation that often unless you have blisters or know a Lance, but when I say, for example 'Sir Lancelot' in my head, it sounds so alien with a 'British' pronnciation.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

My boxer is called Oscar and when he first went to overnight camp - they called him "Assggaaaa" which of course he didn't respond too. They thought he was deaf!! Now they try to imitate me which is just hilarious!

As for the Caribbean - I lived there for quite a while and they all pronounce it the American way- as it does have two Bs!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Craig...pronounced in the US Creg.

I think I may have got confused and posted in the wrong thread.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:55 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
... I use soccer; as an informal abbreviation of "Association Football," it has been commonly used in Britain for a hundred years and more. I remember at school in the fifties and sixties, we said "soccer" or "football" interchangeably..
I never knew that. As a boy in the '50s if one said ‘soccer’—and it was said at times—we thought it doggish and wonderfully American! ... and it conjured up thoughts of the land where everyone ate meat, sugar and oranges every day, lived in Beverly Hills, and drove motorcars the size of the Isle of Man!

... ‘ate’ is another word. I pronounce it like ‘eight’ over here, no longer like ‘et’ as in in ‘Et tu, Brute?’

Interesting, I must not notice it because I have habitualy said it the American way; althougth it does not come up in conversation that often unless you have blisters or know a Lance, but when I say, for example 'Sir Lancelot' in my head, it sounds so alien with a 'British' pronnciation.
I'm no different with France now myself ... if I hear it said in the alternate UK version, I seem to shake my head and ask myself ‘Did I actually sound like that once?’

Last edited by Christian; Jul 23rd 2011 at 6:25 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:25 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome. Cute. Diapers. Still want to guffaw when someone says 'pocketbook' to mean the bag I'm carrying.

And I say "po-po" meaning the police because in my accent it makes my husband laugh.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Chips (for crisps!)
Fries (for chips!)
Trunk, hood, etc
sidewalk (for pavement) but I can't use pavement for the road ...

I also write 'fiber' not 'fibre', 'theater' not 'theatre', etc - the US form seems more obvious (and less french!). I also write color not colour, etc.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

shining light is an unknown quantity at this point

And what about.. Oh my gaaaaaaaaaawd!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by christian

Lance in North America—whether a common noun, a verb, or a male name—are all pronounced with the ‘a’ as in ‘Lancashire’...if said with the ‘a’ from ‘palm’ people over here can do a double take.

(Whilst I was working in the NE, I had a colleague called Lance who had just been transferred from the UK...he wasn't in the States three months when even he started to say it in the standard North American way).

...and I no longer say ‘France’ as one would hear from a BBC news-reader either, but then I didn't exactly grow up speaking as if I went to Eton or Harrow.
I've gone through this whole thread and had my poor fiance pronouncing all these words for me... It could be that's he's from North Yorkshire but he never pronounces lance with an a like in palm, it's a the same a I use...

And we both pronounce Caribbean the same exact way... except when discussing the ride and I break out my Carib beeee an, because... well... it's pirates after all...

I have high hopes for getting him to say aluminum and 'erb as opposed to aluminIum and herb (with the hard h pronunciation)
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:15 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katiekat

I have high hopes for getting him to say aluminum and 'erb as opposed to aluminIum and herb (with the hard h pronunciation)
You'll never do it.

Saying aluminium and herbs is as ingrained in us as eating Yorkshire puddings and drinking tea

Does he or did he ever say "tin foil" rather than aluminium for the kitchen stuff?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

When he gets incredibly frustrated with my American insistence on saying aluminum, he throws his hands up in there air and says, "Fine American, I'll call it tin foil then!"

Which makes me giggle.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:51 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katiekat
When he gets incredibly frustrated with my American insistence on saying aluminum, he throws his hands up in there air and says, "Fine American, I'll call it tin foil then!"

Which makes me giggle.

Tin foil ..... so much easier to say and is exactly what it says it is.

Just like cling film None of that Glad wrap thank you.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

Tin foil ..... so much easier to say and is exactly what it says it is.

Just like cling film None of that Glad wrap thank you.
Huh? Tin foil is what I line my hat with..
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
Huh? Tin foil is what I line my hat with..
Are you scared of aliens hooking onto your brain cell?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Are you scared of aliens hooking onto your brain cell?
Duh.. I only got one cell??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.