Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words/expressions you don't like

American words/expressions you don't like

Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: American words/expressions you don't like

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm not one to worry too much about 'appearances'. My wife couldn't give a shit if I swear or not, nor I her. I try to keep it clean around our son but we all lose our temper sometimes, and at any rate he hears (and let's face it, says) worse at school so nobody is hurt.
You've got that one right! Personally, I have few qualms about using profanity, expletives, etc., when moved to do so......and I have a somewhat short fuse. However, the older I get, the less I care about those "appearances" - with both the OH and I - it's "what you see is what you get"! I do, however, try to be courteous enough to not use it when talking to someone who'd be offended by it.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
You've got that one right! Personally, I have few qualms about using profanity, expletives, etc., when moved to do so......and I have a somewhat short fuse. However, the older I get, the less I care about those "appearances" - with both the OH and I - it's "what you see is what you get"! I do, however, try to be courteous enough to not use it when talking to someone who'd be offended by it.
Well, yes. I wouldn't walk into a church and exclaim "**** me, it's pissing it down like a bastard out there!"

In those cases, I'd drop the expletive/replacement altogether and just say, sarcastically, "Lovely weather, eh?" - for example.

Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

"Burglarized" and "burglarization". I rest my case.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Till as in "I'll pick you up at 10 till 12"
and "cute or darling" as in

Thats a "darling top"
"how cute you look today"

Er im a ladee over the age of shall we say 40 - i dont do cute - sophisticated, classy even amazing but arrrrggghhh not cute!!!

Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Till as in "I'll pick you up at 10 till 12"
and "cute or darling" as in

Thats a "darling top"
"how cute you look today"

Er im a ladee over the age of shall we say 40 - i dont do cute - sophisticated, classy even amazing but arrrrggghhh not cute!!!

Not to mention that it comes across as sounding insincere! I don't, and haven't since I was 5, do "cute" either!.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:36 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I just love your accent....I want to puke!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

'Go potty' for go to the toilet.

'Let me take that for you' grabbing a plate from under your nose before you've even put the cutlery down and while others in the group are still eating. One of the loveliest things about being back in England in the summer was enjoying an unhurried meal out.

'Did you find everything all right?' 'Have a nice day' and all that shite.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
'Did you find everything all right?'
The checkout people at Costco love that one. Tell them "no" and they pause for a few seconds while "does not compute" works through their brains and then they just carry on as if you said "yes". Muppets.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 1:51 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes. I wouldn't walk into a church and exclaim "**** me, it's pissing it down like a bastard out there!"
Exactly! I think you'll find that "pissing it down like a cnut" is the correct expression in such a circumstance.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:15 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Exactly! I think you'll find that "pissing it down like a cnut" is the correct expression in such a circumstance.
Quite right. You're the only one who spotted that too.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 5:04 am
I have a comma problem

Just remembered another one that I see all over the place. Not sure if it is specifically American but I never saw it before moving here - Imma. As in 'Imma gonna <insert really earth shattering bollocks here>'

Christ, but that makes me want to jump off a bridge, that one
Old Sep 10th 2011, 2:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Fanny, it's a crap word, made even worse by the American definition.

Also, the use of toned down insults in the US. What is the point of being rude and insulting to someone and yet try not to insult them with rude words?

See You Next Tuesday, for instance, if someone's being a bellend, well just call them a cnut, don't dance around it.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I just love your accent....I want to puke!
You're not Welsh?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Just remembered another one that I see all over the place. Not sure if it is specifically American but I never saw it before moving here - Imma. As in 'Imma gonna <insert really earth shattering bollocks here>'

Christ, but that makes me want to jump off a bridge, that one
To me that is no worse than the Brit "innit" which I detest
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
To me that is no worse than the Brit "innit" which I detest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.