Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words/expressions you don't like

American words/expressions you don't like

Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words/expressions you don't like

Originally Posted by robin1234
Wait till she gets a mortgage and she'll be fine.
Ahh! I'm still not fully over the reality that she can't technically be called a baby anymore
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Ahh! I'm still not fully over the reality that she can't technically be called a baby anymore
Aww!! She'll always be your baby!!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Aww!! She'll always be your baby!!
This is true.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the use of the word "like" at least 3 times in every sentence. Usually used by the younger set.
I had a hard time getting used to hearing "have a nice day" and "you're welcome" when I came here at first, now I just put it in the meaningless claptrap folder.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:19 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by joto
I don't like the use of the word "like" at least 3 times in every sentence. Usually used by the younger set.
I had a hard time getting used to hearing "have a nice day" and "you're welcome" when I came here at first, now I just put it in the meaningless claptrap folder.
The use of 'like' as a punctuation mark was a pain in the arse back in the UK as well, or at least in Belfast anyway
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

At least people here just say "you're welcome" and that's it.. In the UK you can go back & forth with "thank you" and never end the conversation..
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:44 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and the proliferation of substitute swear words like 'heck', 'gosh' and 'dang/darn' piss me off too, as does referring to proper words like 'f**k' and 'cnut' as 'cussing'.
While I know why you wrote cnut, it still read funny after the crticisim of heck.

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
.....F word but change it to "frigging" or it's like, in order to maintain a more ladylike facade. (although since everyone knows what "frigging" means, I don't see that it makes much difference )
Many have thought that in the bedroom, and been rewarded with a slap.

I don't like the use of the word "like"
The use of 'like' as a punctuation mark was a pain in the arse back in the UK as well
It takes me back to my youth, I always thought it odd that it was viewed as an American expression, as 'like' seemed to be used as a gap replacement between every word.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:48 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by kimilseung
While I know why you wrote cnut, it still read funny after the crticisim of heck.
Unintentional irony, but a point well made

Originally Posted by kimilseung
It takes me back tp my youth, I always thought it odd that it was viewed as an American expression, as I think 'like' used to be more of gap replacement between eery word.
In Belfast, it usually acts as a full stop, as in "Yeoo, give me twanny Regal King Size for f**k's sake, leeeek." Which is probably why my wife told me the NI accent was the worst UK accent to have

I've threatened to slap my son when he overuses it though . . .
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:53 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

On the heck, freaking issue....

us brits are as bad, or used to be with expressions like cor blimey, for years I had no idea it was a euphemism for "God blind me", until one day my grandad replied to someone who had just said it with "one day he might"
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

'through'

As in 'the festival is on Thurs through Saturday'. The word you are looking for is 'until'.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:39 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by TimberHut
'through'

As in 'the festival is on Thurs through Saturday'. The word you are looking for is 'until'.
Invariably spelt 'thru' as well!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

"unbeatable savings" seems to be used by every store sale, so probably quite easily beatable in reality.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by TimberHut
'through'

Not sure about that. "Through" or "thru" makes clear that the festival runs till closing time on Saturday. With "until" you don't know if it inclusive or exclusive.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

I have words like 'bloody' at my disposal if needs disctate that I keep it clean, or I can just not use any expletive. In all reality if you are replacing one word with the other, you're still thinking the so called 'bad' word, aren't you?
Sure, you're thinking it - but it's all about appearances, isn't it? The male/female - female/male opinion changes once epithets, expletives or curse words are used aloud.

In the south, it's called "Suthrun Hospitality". The steel magnolia females are busy smiling coquettishly, calling you darlin' & sweetie, but in their minds their thinking "you f***ing, self-satisfied litte *****, you!". Now if it was spoken aloud, it would have to come out as "why, you charming little devil, you!". See? No swear words or cussin' - and everybody goes on their merry way. Given that example didn't include "freaking" or "gol-danged" or any such euphemisms, I guess it wasn't very demonstrative, was it? In any case, forgive us, please, for trying to keep up appearances (no that wasn't a reference to the TV series.... )
Old Sep 9th 2011, 8:27 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Sure, you're thinking it - but it's all about appearances, isn't it? The male/female - female/male opinion changes once epithets, expletives or curse words are used aloud.

In the south, it's called "Suthrun Hospitality". The steel magnolia females are busy smiling coquettishly, calling you darlin' & sweetie, but in their minds their thinking "you f***ing, self-satisfied litte *****, you!". Now if it was spoken aloud, it would have to come out as "why, you charming little devil, you!". See? No swear words or cussin' - and everybody goes on their merry way. Given that example didn't include "freaking" or "gol-danged" or any such euphemisms, I guess it wasn't very demonstrative, was it? In any case, forgive us, please, for trying to keep up appearances (no that wasn't a reference to the TV series.... )
I'm not one to worry too much about 'appearances'. My wife couldn't give a shit if I swear or not, nor I her. I try to keep it clean around our son but we all lose our temper sometimes, and at any rate he hears (and let's face it, says) worse at school so nobody is hurt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.