Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime shipping

Amazon Prime shipping

Old Jan 18th 2018, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amazon Prime shipping

Has anyone else noticed Amazon shipping is getting sloppy?

On Sunday I ordered 2 items from Amazon at 5pm. One was sold by Amazon with Prime, the other was not. Now, I didn't expect them to be shipped on Sunday but did expect shipment on Monday.

Incidentally, both items were coming from the Atlanta area and shipped by UPS.

The non-prime item was dispatched at 6pm on Monday and delivered (NW Florida) at 1pm on Tuesday. I was impressed

The Prime shipment was not dispatched from Amazon until 6pm on Tuesday. Tracking showed it arriving at UPS in Doraville, GA at 6.02pm and then sent to Roswell, GA before being sent BACK to Doraville, where it remains.

At 3am on Wednesday, I received an email from Amazon saying delivery was delayed due to the weather. I can accept a weather delay but had they dispatched it on Monday, it would most likely have been delivered on Tuesday or, at the very least, be sat in a local UPS depot waiting delivery.

As an aside, I ordered a software package from Amazon on January 5th (for my mother in the UK). That was delivered in the UK on January 13th. Usually, they get it right but I've had a few cases in the last 12 months where they have missed the 2-day shipping deadline (usually because they didn't dispatch promptly).

[Rant over]
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon Prime shipping

Haven't had that, but have had them throw in a paperback book loose in a box with a 40lb container of cat litter. Needless to say, the book suffered a bit.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

You're lucky if you get UPS. Wait 'til you get the USPS/UPS/FedEx combined shipping method. Makes the package basically untraceable while the post office has it, then they lie about deliveries. We have a 24/7 front desk but they report attempted deliveries, including on Sundays when there is no USPS delivery.

The packaging can be interesting. Have had a USB memory stick packed on its own in a large box.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand the weather delay in Atlanta. I just arrived home after spending Wednesday night at the Atlanta airport. The mayor was closing the road at sundown for fear of icing of the melt off from that afternoon.

On December 18, 2017 I mailed two packages to the NE corridor via Priority Mail. They were mailed from the self-service machine one after the other. One arrived on the 20th of December and the other didn't arrive until January 4th. They both had to go through Newark where the so-called hold up was. Sh!t happens. It wasn't Amazon that caused the problem but in your case UPS and in my case USPS.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
You're lucky if you get UPS. Wait 'til you get the USPS/UPS/FedEx combined shipping method. Makes the package basically untraceable while the post office has it, then they lie about deliveries. We have a 24/7 front desk but they report attempted deliveries, including on Sundays when there is no USPS delivery.

The packaging can be interesting. Have had a USB memory stick packed on its own in a large box.
There is Sunday delivery by USPS for priority mail. I've had things delivered to my front door on a Sunday by the USPS so I know that it does happen.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I can understand the weather delay in Atlanta. I just arrived home after spending Wednesday night at the Atlanta airport. The mayor was closing the road at sundown for fear of icing of the melt off from that afternoon.
I get the weather delay. My beef is with the fact that with Prime 2-day shipping, it wasn't even dispatched until 2 days after placing the order. Even accepting that they don't ship on Sunday (which they do.. I have had stuff shipped on Sunday before), they still delayed shipping a whole day.

Originally Posted by Rete
There is Sunday delivery by USPS for priority mail. I've had things delivered to my front door on a Sunday by the USPS so I know that it does happen.
I've also received stuff on a Sunday.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 3:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am still waiting on a prime order that was shipped last Wed so 8 days ago.

Purolator (canadian parcel service) keeps forgetting to put it on a truck for delivery.

Amazon and their delivery partners have gotten so bad that I have largely stopped ordering from them and online in general.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 6:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u

It seems like Amazon have a limited number of box sizes, and so the use ones much to big at times, often folded and glued in ingenious ways to make it look better.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon's box picking software knows when selecting a box which truck it will be going out on.

As a result they don't care about your left over cardboard or how efficient the size is to the size of the item.

It's all about making it better for them transporting it. Like a big game of Jenga.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think FedEx Smart Post is the worst, I watch it go past me, around Denver a few times, back into the Mountains in the wrong direction where it is handed over to USPS, then it has to go back over the Divide which is when I get an error delivery message which means it will be at my local Post Office the following day.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 8:03 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I am impressed that when I track the package on 'my orders' page, I can now see where the delivery van is on a map, and be told how many more deliveries they have to make before they get to me.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:25 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

There was an article yesterday about the inventory problems Whole Foods is experiencing since the Amazon take-over. Their inventory control system - described as militaristic has resulted in empty shelves in lots of stores, characteristic of the Soviet-style stores of the Cold War.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:26 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

'Entire aisles are empty.' This is why Whole Foods is facing food shortages, report says | NJ.com
Old Jan 19th 2018, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I am impressed that when I track the package on 'my orders' page, I can now see where the delivery van is on a map, and be told how many more deliveries they have to make before they get to me.
I don't see that. Must be a regional thing.

Package was finally delivered today.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 11:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Prime is one-to-two days for us (with UPS), depending on what time you place your order.

FedEx have a nasty habit of handing off to USPS and declaring it "delivered".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.