Affluenzza

Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:35 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affluenzza

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I think the case is merely an example of how deaths caused by driving are treated by the justice system (not just in the US). There is plenty of discussion currently about deaths of cyclists wherein the driver is just not being held to account. Manslaughter charges should be used but it doesn't seem to get used as much. Death by dangerous driving and a slap on the wrist or in some cases just a traffic citation.

Here is a random example picked from Google:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...y-manslaughter
I'm not disagreeing but there are also cases where cyclists have killed pedestrians by running lights and also not been accountable.

When someone causes a crash where people die (I'm talking by dangerous driving/under the influence rather than just an unfortunate accident) they should be held accountable.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:42 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I think the case is merely an example of how deaths caused by driving are treated by the justice system (not just in the US).
That's correct. The justice system tends to accept that vehicle-related fatalities are commonplace and a trade-off for having a transportation system.

Here's one example re: pedestrians in Northern Calfornia:

An in-depth Center for Investigative Reporting review of the 434 pedestrians killed from 2007 through 2011 in the five largest Bay Area counties found that, like Joe Molinaro, one-third were walking in a crosswalk when they were struck – three times the national average, according to the group’s report. And in 2011, local fatalities increased almost 40 percent from the previous year.

Yet, more often than not, the drivers responsible faced no serious consequences.

Sixty percent of the 238 motorists found to be at fault or suspected of a crime faced no criminal charges during the five-year period, CIR found in its analysis of thousands of pages of police and court records from Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, San Mateo and San Francisco counties.

When drivers did face criminal charges, punishment often was light. Licenses rarely were taken away. Of those charged, less than 60 percent had their driving privileges suspended or revoked for even one day, an automatic penalty in drunk driving arrests.

Forty percent of those convicted faced no more than a day in jail; 13 drivers were jailed for more than a year. By contrast, those charged in accidental shootings often serve lengthy jail terms, according to media reports.
http://cironline.org/reports/bay-are...sis-finds-4420

Earlier this year, a cyclist who ran a light and killed a pedestrian in a crosswalk in San Francisco pled guilty to felony manslaughter. His punishment? Just community service, no jail time.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...irst_ever.html

Combine these factors with the age of the defendant in this case, and it isn't surprising. There are plenty of vehicle deaths that result in similarly light sentences yet receive no media attention at all.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 3:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Combine these factors with the age of the defendant in this case, and it isn't surprising. There are plenty of vehicle deaths that result in similarly light sentences yet receive no media attention at all.
The big difference being this resulted in 4 deaths and a couple handfuls of injured people, including leaving one a cabbage.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 3:35 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The big difference being this resulted in 4 deaths and a couple handfuls of injured people, including leaving one a cabbage.
It's not really that big of a difference in comparison to what often happens with other auto fatalities. Killing people in a crash frequently does not result in punishment, regardless.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

This is just beyond silliness, how can a person who forged a cheque be given life imprisonment under the three strikes rule and a person who stole alcohol, killed several people get off scott free? Plus his parents have a whole list of problems with the law as well.

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
I'm sure you may have seen media reports of the Fort Worth judge gave probation to a 16 year old drunk driver due to his up bringing where his parents did not give him any boundaries. Now I think it's fair to say I would be one of the most politically conservative posters on this board, however this sentencing just sounds off to me. How many defendants has this judge tried where the defendant went to jail even though they had no positive influences growing up because of addiction and so on? hundreds? thousands? what it the difference between them and this boy named Ethan Couch? Apart from hundreds of thousands of dollars nothing!

I am a strong proponent of the rule of law, I believe the law should be upheld and applied and enforced equally and without fear or favor, so to me this sentence stinks to high heaven as I don't believe the law was applied equally, also one would have thought that if someone doesn't have boundaries, that the best thing the law could do is put the in a place where they will need boundaries due to affulenzza , and jail seems exactly that kind of place.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
This is just beyond silliness, how can a person who forged a cheque be given life imprisonment under the three strikes rule and a person who stole alcohol, killed several people get off scott free? Plus his parents have a whole list of problems with the law as well.
'Three strikes' has been a disaster.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Times ten. Dumbest law ever.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think the case is merely an example of how deaths caused by driving are treated by the justice system (not just in the US). There is plenty of discussion currently about deaths of cyclists wherein the driver is just not being held to account. Manslaughter charges should be used but it doesn't seem to get used as much. Death by dangerous driving and a slap on the wrist or in some cases just a traffic citation.

Here is a random example picked from Google:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...y-manslaughter
I have only limited sympathy for cyclists. I lived and worked in San Francisco for many years, and the bicycle crowd there was above the law. This article is illuminating.... Cyclist was going around 35 mph downhill and couldn't stop; he ran a red light, plowed through the crowded crosswalk, and killed a pedestrian. He later posted his account online, admitting he was going too fast, but his major point was - "it was important for cyclists to wear helmets".

A 92 year old woman was killed in El Cerrito by a cyclist last year; the case is still being decided.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 4:55 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have only limited sympathy for cyclists. I lived and worked in San Francisco for many years, and the bicycle crowd there was above the law...Cyclist was going around 35 mph downhill and couldn't stop; he ran a red light, plowed through the crowded crosswalk, and killed a pedestrian. He later posted his account online, admitting he was going too fast, but his major point was - "it was important for cyclists to wear helmets".
I commented about him above. He pled guilty and was sentenced to community service, with no jail time.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have only limited sympathy for cyclists. I lived and worked in San Francisco for many years, and the bicycle crowd there was above the law. This article is illuminating.... Cyclist was going around 35 mph downhill and couldn't stop; he ran a red light, plowed through the crowded crosswalk, and killed a pedestrian. He later posted his account online, admitting he was going too fast, but his major point was - "it was important for cyclists to wear helmets".

A 92 year old woman was killed in El Cerrito by a cyclist last year; the case is still being decided.
Agreed, cyclist who don't follow the rules of the road get no sympathy from me. Stop signs and one way streets apply to cyclists as they do for drivers.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:15 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Originally Posted by dakota44
Times ten. Dumbest law ever.
Glad I'm not alone in thinking it's a CRAZY law.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Glad I'm not alone in thinking it's a CRAZY law.
I feel a lot of these things like "three strikes" are thought up by rich white men who think "Oh my gosh if I get caught three times I'm done for, I'm quite likely to stop and turn straight after the first time". When in fact, reality is different.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:33 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

I often drive through a park where there's a lot of cyclists, some are very good and courteous but some cause one to consider doing society a favour and run them over.

Originally Posted by dakota44
Up next:

I was too average to know right from wrong.
I, personally, am going to try the 'I'm too stupid' defense if I ever get in trouble again.

Pete
Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
I, personally, am going to try the 'I'm too stupid' defense if I ever get in trouble again. Pete
I'm going with the 'my mind has been warped by BE' defense. Just have to refer them to TIO, Oz, Spain, and a few others. I'll be off free and with an apology for my trouble.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 10:04 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b

I wish I could work out a way that kids parents could be held accountable for the crimes of their offspring.
That's great for perfect parents with perfect kids - better hope you and yours are. However by your reasoning I should be doing 7-10 for my 15 year old kid's crime.

I think I've written about it previously in another thread, so if you're interested in what he did you can look it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.