Affluenzza

Old Dec 14th 2013, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affluenzza

Originally Posted by Michael
In California, outrage would likely be due to lenient sentencing of the poor but conservative states seem to be more extremely lenient on the socially acceptable.

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — Activists are pushing for the removal of a Montana judge who said a 14-year-old rape victim was "older than her chronological age," as the former teacher who raped her is set to be released this week after serving 30 days in prison.

But the rich or well connected from all states will likely be treated more leniently than the poor.
That case did at least have some arguable elements, I thought.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That case did at least have some arguable elements, I thought.
In my opinion, there isn't any arguable elements to get only a 30 day sentence when a 40 year old teacher has sex with a 14 year old student even if it's not forcible rape especially since she committed suicide.

And there is absolutely no excuse for the judge to tarnish the victim's reputation even if she was still alive. If the defense attorney does it (most states won't even allow that), that's one thing but a judge should never do it.

What is unusual about both cases is that the state may to try to overrule the judge's sentence which seldom is ever attempted.

Last edited by Michael; Dec 14th 2013 at 4:39 am.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 5:25 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

The USA has the best justice system that money can buy.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 5:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

and politicians
Old Dec 14th 2013, 10:13 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

especially since she committed suicide.
I didn't follow this case tbh, but was there direct evidence (suicide note?) that cited the event as a contributory factor to the suicide? If not, I don't see how it's relevant.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I was too deprived to know right from wrong.
I was too spoiled to know right from wrong.

Up next:

I was too average to know right from wrong.

Alright then. Close the jails. Don't need them anymore.

That case was a joke. The kid should be in jail for a damn long time. Or maybe, since he is basically blaming it on his parents (spoiling him and no boundaries and all) maybe they should go to jail since according to the defense it was really all their fault.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 3:19 pm
Endangered Species

River Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Michael
He was also sentenced to a $450K per year mountain rehabilitation center that includes gourmet meals, a swimming pool, a recreation room as well as guides for hiking and yoga instructors for killing 4 people and injuring 9. Doesn't everyone get that treatment?
I wonder how many days he will actually spend in the rehabilitation centre, bet it won't be $450K's worth.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
I'm sure you may have seen media reports of the Fort Worth judge gave probation to a 16 year old drunk driver due to his up bringing where his parents did not give him any boundaries. Now I think it's fair to say I would be one of the most politically conservative posters on this board, however this sentencing just sounds off to me. How many defendants has this judge tried where the defendant went to jail even though they had no positive influences growing up because of addiction and so on? hundreds? thousands? what it the difference between them and this boy named Ethan Couch? Apart from hundreds of thousands of dollars nothing!

I am a strong proponent of the rule of law, I believe the law should be upheld and applied and enforced equally and without fear or favor, so to me this sentence stinks to high heaven as I don't believe the law was applied equally, also one would have thought that if someone doesn't have boundaries, that the best thing the law could do is put the in a place where they will need boundaries due to affulenzza , and jail seems exactly that kind of place.
If the kid isn't culpable because of his parents - then they should be held responsible and charged for the 4 deaths
Old Dec 14th 2013, 11:19 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
If the kid isn't culpable because of his parents - then they should be held responsible and charged for the 4 deaths

I wish I could work out a way that kids parents could be held accountable for the crimes of their offspring.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That would seriously impact child births.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
I was too deprived to know right from wrong.
I was too spoiled to know right from wrong.

Up next:

I was too average to know right from wrong.

Alright then. Close the jails. Don't need them anymore.

That case was a joke. The kid should be in jail for a damn long time. Or maybe, since he is basically blaming it on his parents (spoiling him and no boundaries and all) maybe they should go to jail since according to the defense it was really all their fault.
Surely this one will get revisited, given the media attention ...
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Surely this one will get revisited, given the media attention ...
He clearly wasn't found 'not guilty' or there would have been no sentence. So, the question is whether there is a minimum sentencing guideline for what he was convicted of. If the Judge did not violate any mandatory sentencing laws, then it is all a moot point, sadly. If he is an elected Judge, hopefully he gets voted out next go round.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
Well said.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:10 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b

I wish I could work out a way that kids parents could be held accountable for the crimes of their offspring.
If that were the case I'd have to kill my kids just in case they get in to any trouble, which would lead to my mom getting arrested
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
I think the case is merely an example of how deaths caused by driving are treated by the justice system (not just in the US). There is plenty of discussion currently about deaths of cyclists wherein the driver is just not being held to account. Manslaughter charges should be used but it doesn't seem to get used as much. Death by dangerous driving and a slap on the wrist or in some cases just a traffic citation.

Here is a random example picked from Google:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...y-manslaughter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.