Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Advice needed - CHICAGO/EAD???

Advice needed - CHICAGO/EAD???

Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

LONDONUK1980 is a jewel in the roughLONDONUK1980 is a jewel in the roughLONDONUK1980 is a jewel in the roughLONDONUK1980 is a jewel in the rough
Default Advice needed - CHICAGO/EAD???

Hi

Apologies if this sort of question has been posted millions of times before , I did try to look through but got lost after about 900 pages !!!!

Im a serving Police Officer in London and have spoken to Chicago Police department who stated that they will accept an application from me if I can get an Employemt Autorization Document

In theory that sounds pretty straight forward but in reality how easy is it for me to gain the EAD ? , the Website for the American Embassy in London is pretty terrible and I am struggling to find any straight forward answers on the Internet

Basically what I need to know is can I arrange this document whilst still living in the UK and get it sent to me in the UK then go through everything else with Chicago Police Department ??
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed - CHICAGO/EAD???

Originally Posted by LONDONUK1980
Hi

Apologies if this sort of question has been posted millions of times before , I did try to look through but got lost after about 900 pages !!!!

Im a serving Police Officer in London and have spoken to Chicago Police department who stated that they will accept an application from me if I can get an Employemt Autorization Document

In theory that sounds pretty straight forward but in reality how easy is it for me to gain the EAD ? , the Website for the American Embassy in London is pretty terrible and I am struggling to find any straight forward answers on the Internet
Unless you are married to a USC and can immigrate to the US on a spousal visa, there is no way for you to obtain an employment authorization document from the USCIS. You need a basis/foundation to apply for adjustment of status in order to apply for an EAD.

There are work visas, however, police work is not listed on the acceptable profession list for H-1B's. Nor do I believe they are eligible for a J or L visa.

The US Consulate's website is not terrible. You are having a difficult time of it because you do not qualify for any of the visas that are available for others.

Basically what I need to know is can I arrange this document whilst still living in the UK and get it sent to me in the UK then go through everything else with Chicago Police Department ??
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

LONDONUK1980 is a jewel in the roughLONDONUK1980 is a jewel in the roughLONDONUK1980 is a jewel in the roughLONDONUK1980 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Advice needed - CHICAGO/EAD???

Thank you for your response and honesty , I guess I shall have to re-think the whole process or just go to Canada lol

Thanks again
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:15 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

You've got two things going on here - first, being allowed to live and work in the USA, second - being allowed to work as a cop.

On the first - read this: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA and see if you fit into any of the categories. I don't know if police officer would count as a speciality occupation for an H1B, but suspect not.

On the second, you've hit lucky with Illinois as there's no state requirement for citizenship to be a peace officer. Many states (including my own, TX) do require you to be a citizen, although some e.g. VA, have a public interest waiver available.

Are you dead set on Chicago? I know Canada is poaching UK officers, and it's a lot easier to get in.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thank you for your post it is very informative, Being realistic I think that unless I make a major career change then relocating to the States in the near future is possibly being ruled out

I think Canada may be a better option for me as it would allow me to continue being a Police Officer as well as experiencing a new country

I have researched Canada quite alot and my partner has family there and have already been accepted by there immigration without the need for my job

But with every major life changing move I was looking at all the options open to us or not in this case
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:17 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thank you for your post it is very informative, Being realistic I think that unless I make a major career change then relocating to the States in the near future is possibly being ruled out

I think Canada may be a better option for me as it would allow me to continue being a Police Officer as well as experiencing a new country

I have researched Canada quite alot and my partner has family there and have already been accepted by there immigration without the need for my job

But with every major life changing move I was looking at all the options open to us or not in this case
Thank you for your reply. It's refreshing (though rare) to have somebody say "Fair enough, I guess that won't work, thanks anyway." rather than "Lies! There must be a way for me to move to the US. You're all bastards!!!"

Best of luck in Canada. In case you don't already know about it, there's a chap who posts about his experiences living and working there at: http://coppersblog.blogspot.com/. Look for the entries with a Canadian flag.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If you haven't given up entirely, I think the is a J exchange program for LEOs.