Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Advice and advise -- US/UK spelling

Advice and advise -- US/UK spelling

Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice and advise -- US/UK spelling

Originally Posted by cindyabs
BUT, in New England we say aunt, NOT ant in reference to the sister of our father or mother..
Yup, just like in Old England . Unfortunately for me, I hail from elsewhere in the UK, try as I might to be 'well spoken'. In good old Northern Ireland, we tend to say it more like 'ant', rather than the slight emphasis on the letter u, as pronounced correctly. Of course, I always said 'auntie' anyway, rendering it null and void

You want to hear some dubious and interesting use of the mother tongue - head to a pub in Belfast some day
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:18 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yup, just like in Old England . Unfortunately for me, I hail from elsewhere in the UK, try as I might to be 'well spoken'. In good old Northern Ireland, we tend to say it more like 'ant', rather than the slight emphasis on the letter u, as pronounced correctly. Of course, I always said 'auntie' anyway, rendering it null and void

You want to hear some dubious and interesting use of the mother tongue - head to a pub in Belfast some day
My gr grandfather came to Mass from Dungannon, his wife from outside Derry, and another gr grandmother from Derry to Quebec to NH, Guess they all converted.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:25 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I am confused about the "like here" question. But from my observation, the language does use plurals -- but "I see the houses" will be written as "I see houses."

The language simply does not use articles. When Korean is the native language, the lack of need for articles tends to carry over into their second language: English. Nothing more, nothing less.

A native English speaker might say "I looked out on the horizon. I saw a house." A native speaking Korean might write "I looked out on horizon. I saw house."

My point is that many of the "rules" of the English language are those of usage, not necessity.
In relation to other languages, I am exceedingly happy that English does not assign gender to most nouns! In Spanish, the police department is feminine, "la policia," while the policeman is masculine "el polocia." [And lets put aside that "policia" is feminine in form with the "a" ending.].
Sorry, yes I meant Japan. Japanese does not use articles either. Plurals are few and far between. Sentences cut off in their prime, lack of use of subject pronouns & verb inflections make outsiders think it is more like a code or an 'unfinished language' so you end up with just the minimum necessary to communicate in an often deliberately vague/inoffensive way.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

My gr grandfather came to Mass from Dungannon, his wife from outside Derry, and another gr grandmother from Derry to Quebec to NH, Guess they all converted.
They probably lost the accents over time, the MA accent is easy to pick up I'd imagine. Interestingly, my dad had toyed with the idea of relocating to New England in the 60s, after his cousin had successfully relocated to Australia.

He didn't though - which is OK because had I been born here, I probably wouldn't have met my wife! Funny how these things work out, isn't it?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

"also we could loose our $355 we payed "

It does make you wonder about the quality of education she received and/or her IQ.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:21 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Rete
"also we could loose our $355 we payed "

It does make you wonder about the quality of education she received and/or her IQ.
Bit of both probably - but a lot of the time it is because people spend so much time on chatrooms, IM and texting that they have got sloppy at their spelling, typing and language in general.

I didn't have access to text and crap until my 20s and I didn't frequent chat rooms until then as well so I still reply to texts in full (I can't even bring myself to use abbreviations like 'u' or 'r' and that!!)

Having said that, my mum's grammar sucks too and she's in her 60s. I guess we can't all be me.

I sound like a right old duffer don't I? Honestly, I'm not! I just take my language arts seriously - and that isn't a UK vs US thing. On the contrary, I've ran into many people here with a way better command of English than people I knew back home.

Did that sound wanky?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 10:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Watch it, Sultan. I'm in my 60's ;-) Like you, however, I don't use text spelling. Not because I can't but I won't. I've been on chatrooms since the early 90's. In fact met the old man there. We didn't use text speak in those ancient times online
Old Apr 9th 2010, 10:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Watch it, Sultan. I'm in my 60's ;-) Like you, however, I don't use text spelling. Not because I can't but I won't. I've been on chatrooms since the early 90's. In fact met the old man there. We didn't use text speak in those ancient times online
I got a birthday message on my FB page in "text speak." I had to read it a few times to figure out what the heck it said.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 10:46 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has reminded me of a great aspect of grammar taught to me by a professional grammarian friend:

We all know about prefixes - unhappy, redirect, prefix

And we know about suffixes - biggest, smaller, shouldn't

But did you know about infixes?

These are additions to the middle of a word, and the prime examples in the English language are...

...abso-bloody-lutely

...un-f***ing-believeable (bonus suffix there)

...shiznit (for all the hip-hop fans out there)

Isn't language wonderful?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I got a birthday message on my FB page in "text speak." I had to read it a few times to figure out what the heck it said.
text speak is better than l33t
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:51 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Bob
oh don't even go there you little monkey...........
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:54 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm not sure about that. Though, I will admit that there's little satisfaction in shouting 8uR9L3!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:54 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
l4m3r
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
In relation to other languages, I am exceedingly happy that English does not assign gender to most nouns! In Spanish, the police department is feminine, "la policia," while the policeman is masculine "el polocia." [And lets put aside that "policia" is feminine in form with the "a" ending.].
Think you typo'd "polocía"

There's plenty of words like that in Spanish that look feminine but are actually masculine, like water and map. Both are el agua and el mapa, respectively. And hand looks masculine but it's feminine, la mano, same for photo, la foto

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Apr 10th 2010 at 3:15 am.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:18 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Think you typo'd "polocía"

There's plenty of words like that in Spanish that look feminine but are actually masculine, like water and map. Both are el agua and el mapa, respectively. And hand looks masculine but it's feminine, la mano, same for photo, la foto
are these hermaphrodite words???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.