Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Accents - have you lost yours?

Accents - have you lost yours?

Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:21 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accents - have you lost yours?

My co worker from New England has a similar accent to me from Bristol, but she has more trouble understanding me than others from around the US
Old Aug 5th 2017, 3:02 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I speak American with an English accent.

Yup! When I'm in the UK they tell me I sound very American, which comes as a surprise to my American friends.

As others have said, I think it's to do with word usage/phrasing.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 4:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can tell my accent has changed little, not just since I came to the US nearly 16 years ago but since I left Sheffield at the age of eight. I completed school in Glawster, and nothing of the local drawl rubbed off on me.

Neither did the years spent studying and working in Landan influence my accent either - in fact my accent was noticed and commented on handful of times when I lived there, either as from Yorkshire, or one occasion specifically "Sheffield". Another memorable occasion when I was on the phone to someone in Tennessee with an American accent asked how I came to be in London because she could tell I was from Yorkshire (she was in fact a British expat).

So all things considered I am not surprised that my accent has changed little. Contrary to some people's assertions above, my deliberate choice to use American words, and phrases, and use American pronunciation and cadance in words like gah-rhaj, wadder, tom-ay-toe, etc doesn't seem to have affected my accent either. I still get comments most weeks on my accent, and as many as three times a day on weekends isn't unusual, and people seem surprised when I tell them I have been here in NC for 14 years.

Oh, and it's a rare occasion when anyone asks if I am Australian - maybe a couple of times a year.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 5th 2017 at 5:06 am.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Outside Fife, where I grew up I am always identified as a Scot from my Sean Connery tones. When back n Fife I am accused of adopting g a phoney English accent !
Old Aug 5th 2017, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Today was the first time I've spoken to someone back in Rochdale, Lancs., where we came from, for three years. I could hear my accent come back in, and then lost it again when I came off the phone. Weird.
Sheila says that when we're watching Shetland, my Scottish accent kicks in again but then stops when the show goes off. Also weird.

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that I find the 'mid-Atlantic' accents that some British expats adopt within months/few years of living here to be rather nauseating. I think it understandable for children, who may need to adjust to fit in - but adults doing it is just plain odd, in my view.

My daughter was born and raised in West Yorkshire and she was 19 when we moved here. 15 years later, she is a Sheriffs Deputy in Central FL with a very distinct British accent, with a northern flavor to it.

I did a ride-along with her a couple of years ago, where she'd arrested some low-life, who'd thumped his wife. This dirtbag said she had a cute accent and asked where she was from, her reply was, "It doesn't matter where I'm from, it's where you're going, that you need to worry about".
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:31 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is amazing at accents. Within a couple of weeks of being in TX, she'd got the local accent down brilliantly. She wanted to audition for a part in a play at school that was a British character but was having problems switching back to her English accent so she called me and asked me to talk to her. Her friends were astonished.

She also speaks french with a Toulousain accent since she was born/brought up in France and her English is exactly mine even though she's never been in the UK for more than 3 weeks a year.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My mother in law has been in North America since the mid 1960's, originally from Austria and still has a thick Austrian accent, father in law who is Swiss has a very light accent, sounds more North American then Swiss now, he has been in Canada since the early 60's.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 1:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My daughter is amazing at accents. ....
I don't know about "amazing", she sounds like my sister, who adopts the local accent apparently within minutes of arriving somewhere. I don't think it is voluntary or done conciously, so she is the polar opposite of me, because I don't think I could change my accent if my life depended on it, and the only accent I can mimic is South African.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 6th 2017 at 1:11 am.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:29 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't know about "amazing", she sounds like my sister, who adopts the local accent apparently within minutes of arriving somewhere. I don't think it is voluntary or done conciously, so she is the polar opposite of me, because I don't think I could change my accent if my life depended on it, and the only accent I can mimic is South African.
well, your sister sounds amazing too!

you don't....
Old Aug 6th 2017, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

As there are loads of languages and accents spoken in Dubai, I don't think my Sheffield accent has changed much apart from not using flat vowels and glottal stops when I talk to people who don't speak English as a first language.

I admit to using upward inflection to make myself understood sometimes. It's something I hate doing.

I also have to miss words out to speak to people who really struggle to understand me.
"There's a leak in our apartment, please can you send someone to fix it" becomes "leak in apartment. You send someone to fix?"

A lot of my British friends over here have started using the words:
Vacation (even my husband says this now)
Parking lot
Elevator
Trash/Garbage

They just sound wrong to me.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 9:11 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1
As there are loads of languages and accents spoken in Dubai, I don't think my Sheffield accent has changed much apart from not using flat vowels and glottal stops when I talk to people who don't speak English as a first language.

I admit to using upward inflection to make myself understood sometimes. It's something I hate doing.

I also have to miss words out to speak to people who really struggle to understand me.
"There's a leak in our apartment, please can you send someone to fix it" becomes "leak in apartment. You send someone to fix?"

A lot of my British friends over here have started using the words:
Vacation (even my husband says this now)
Parking lot
Elevator
Trash/Garbage

They just sound wrong to me.
My wife (she's from New York City) has always used the word "garbage" when she means "trash." I've spent 40+ years trying to correct her, but no effect yet.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
My wife (she's from New York City) has always used the word "garbage" when she means "trash." I've spent 40+ years trying to correct her, but no effect yet.
Nah, it'll always be rubbish or litter
Old Aug 6th 2017, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1
Nah, it'll always be rubbish or litter
To be honest I rarely heard the word "litter" in the UK.

Over here I just hear it in relation to cats.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Britexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Apparently I have an Australian accent even though I have lived in Texas for 28 years. And then back in the UK a few weeks ago 3 different people thought we were Australian as well.

I am from Essex, not with the Estuary Essex accent but the old Essex country accent so I guess mixed with a Texan accent it makes me sound Australian.
Me too I have been in Texas for 19 years and am always being asked if I am Australian....occasionally South African is the guess.
I am from Suffolk, so not too far from yourself .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.