Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Birmingham Airport to Leeds area (Drighlington)

Birmingham Airport to Leeds area (Drighlington)

Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Birmingham Airport to Leeds area (Drighlington)

Has anyone any current knowledge on what the drive is like between the two locations in the title. Leaving B'Ham around 1:30PM.

We normally fly PDX-AMS-MAN, but going PDX-AMS-BHX reduces the ticket price, for next April, by $1200 a ticket. I would think it's about another hour to drive from B'Ham but I have no personal knowledge of the area or traffic conditions at all.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birmingham Airport to Leeds area (Drighlington)

I find that the best map for planning driving routes in the UK, mainland Europe and the US and Canada is ViaMichelin. It usually gives at least two results of route choices, driving time and even how much fuel is likely to be used. You can choose miles or km:

Here: www.viamichelin.com

Hope this helps!

Btw; BHX is a small airport but they can be very slow at immigration (best to use a British passport) and baggage to get to the carousel. Their website is www.birminghamairport.co.uk

I flew from BHX to Belfast earlier this month....on a Friday afternoon and all the stag and hen groups were checking in for their flights to Majorca etc. I found it well worthwhile to pay 5 pounds and skip the long, long security queue - there are a couple of machines just to the left of WH Smith just before going to security (had no status for Fastrack as was flying Easyjet).

PS: that is an amazing price for your tickets if you are saving $1200 per ticket! Which airline(s) are you flying with - KLM?

Last edited by Englishmum; Sep 28th 2017 at 10:08 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Birmingham can get quite congested during rush hour. There is a toll road you can use, I have never used it, but it may be less congested.

We drove down from the Lakes to BHX couple years ago and it took around 3 hours ish.

I would say the traffic is similar to M1 or M4 traffic. It can take 20 to 30 mins to get out of Birmingham. Maybe close to 217 traffic in Portland.

Google maps is quite useful as it gives traffic information. FYI We found Waze did not work so well in the UK. I don't think many people use it.

We paid $500 for direct flight to PDX-LHR (Delta) last year in April/May.

There is an amazing curry house opposite the Tolkien hotel in Birmingham.

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 28th 2017 at 10:26 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Has anyone any current knowledge on what the drive is like between the two locations in the title. Leaving B'Ham around 1:30PM.

We normally fly PDX-AMS-MAN, but going PDX-AMS-BHX reduces the ticket price, for next April, by $1200 a ticket. I would think it's about another hour to drive from B'Ham but I have no personal knowledge of the area or traffic conditions at all.
You'll be taking the M42, A42 and M1 north. Journey should take around 2hrs 30 mins and there should be average traffic until you get close to Sheffield and again closer to your destination (when the school runs will be at their peak).

You can check planned roadworks at the AA, and Google Maps can also be useful for live traffic. I always find local independent radio stations useful for traffic reports as well.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
You'll be taking the M42, A42 and M1 north. Journey should take around 2hrs 30 mins and there should be average traffic until you get close to Sheffield and again closer to your destination (when the school runs will be at their peak).

You can check planned roadworks at the AA, and Google Maps can also be useful for live traffic. I always find local independent radio stations useful for traffic reports as well.
Is the traffic any lighter on M6, M62? (apparently there are road closures on M62) I remember traffic being a lot lighter on the M1 north of the M6, so maybe that would be the better option.

Also 95% of cars in the UK have RDS. Our last rental car in the UK came with built in dual screen GPS.

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 28th 2017 at 10:28 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I find that the best map for planning driving routes in the UK, mainland Europe and the US and Canada is ViaMichelin. It usually gives at least two results of route choices, driving time and even how much fuel is likely to be used. You can choose miles or km:

Here: www.viamichelin.com

Hope this helps!
Yes it does thanks, it confirms what I had found online that the best route looks to be using the M1. What I was hoping someone might have knowledge of how prone the M1 is to jamming up in the afternoon.

Btw; BHX is a small airport but they can be very slow at immigration (best to use a British passport) and baggage to get to the carousel. Their website is www.birminghamairport.co.uk
Appreciate the extra info about the airport

PS: that is an amazing price for your tickets if you are saving $1200 per ticket! Which airline(s) are you flying with - KLM?
It's Delta/KLM business tickets. One paid for, one with miles, but the number of miles is linked to the ticket price.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:32 pm

Thanks I thought the journey time that was showing up on Google maps was a bit optimistic at 2 hours. It seems from what you say that unless there is an accident that stretch of the M1 is unlikely to jam up just because of the volume of traffic?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks I thought the journey time that was showing up on Google maps was a bit optimistic at 2 hours. It seems from what you say that unless there is an accident that stretch of the M1 is unlikely to jam up just because of the volume of traffic?
I used to be able to do Milton Keynes to Leeds (Pudsey) in 2 to 2/12 hours. So 2 hours may not be that far out. That part of the M1 was not too bad above the M6.

Also if you don't have a GPS app you normally use, I would recommend Here maps. You can download offline maps so you don't need to get a SIM card as soon as you land.

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 28th 2017 at 11:03 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 1:05 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

The only other place I'd expect a fair bit of traffic is the roundabout at the exit from the the airport to the M42, as there is a industrial estate nearby.

The A42 is still only 2 lanes in each direction too, so traffic will bunch a little more.

And yes, barring a major accident, it should be an easy journey if you aim to get to where you're going before about 4.30pm (before the rush hour traffic gets too busy).
Old Sep 29th 2017, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Is the traffic any lighter on M6, M62? (apparently there are road closures on M62) I remember traffic being a lot lighter on the M1 north of the M6, so maybe that would be the better option..
avoid m6/m62 like the plague anywhere near rush hour. M1 gets busy, but keeps moving. M6 gets busy and stops.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 6:01 am

Thanks I appreciate the advice given. Mrs L doesn't like driving in heavy traffic in the UK so I'm hoping Delta will again drop the fares into Manchester, as they have done the previous 4 years around 24 weeks out. If not BHX looks like a reasonable plan B.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The only other place I'd expect a fair bit of traffic is the roundabout at the exit from the the airport to the M42, as there is a industrial estate nearby.

The A42 is still only 2 lanes in each direction too, so traffic will bunch a little more.

And yes, barring a major accident, it should be an easy journey if you aim to get to where you're going before about 4.30pm (before the rush hour traffic gets too busy).
The is also the National Exhibition Centre very close, so, depending whether they have anything on the day you may find the area very busy.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The is also the National Exhibition Centre very close, so, depending whether they have anything on the day you may find the area very busy.
Thanks something else to consider.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

My vote is also on M42, M1 but be aware that the M42 (just north of the M6) converges and then diverges with the M6 Toll road. This can be very confusing, particularly after a 12+ hour flight.
If you stick in the right hand lane(s), it will take you on the toll road.
Pay attention to the overhead signs. The M42 actually forks off to the left at that point.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99
My vote is also on M42, M1 but be aware that the M42 (just north of the M6) converges and then diverges with the M6 Toll road. This can be very confusing, particularly after a 12+ hour flight.
If you stick in the right hand lane(s), it will take you on the toll road.
Pay attention to the overhead signs. The M42 actually forks off to the left at that point.
That is exactly what Mrs L worries about me getting confused, especially after a long flight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.