Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Old Jun 24th 2016, 8:18 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

It could get worse as the fallout from Brexit starts to take effect. Some have predicted the pound could even go as low as 1.12 to the dollar
Old Jun 24th 2016, 8:49 pm
Banned

katzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond repute

The EU now has 1GB of free space.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
It could get worse as the fallout from Brexit starts to take effect. Some have predicted the pound could even go as low as 1.12 to the dollar
If it goes to $1.15 I'm going to mortgage my house and buy pounds.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 10:21 pm
Banned

katzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond repute

why werent they ever called metrics?
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Gibraltar could get screwed quite badly by this.

Also, I hear rumblings that Sinn Fein/IRA are starting up the Irish reuinfication bollocks again. The UK I left and loved has essentially been dismantled by right-wing fearmongering.

Up the US, I suppose

I worry a lot about the stability of Northern Ireland - I have family back there. It has been a "fragile peace" there and benefited a lot from being in the EU. I'm not sure what will happen now with the border between N Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. There hasn't been a border for years - people just walk across. I am originally from Derry/Londonderry (whatever you want to call it). They were one of the highest votes in the "remain" campaign. As for Scotland - there will be another independence referendum and the Scots will win this time - I can't say I blame them. They will "want to take their country back". The Brits (or I should say the English and the Welsh) have cut off their noses to spite their faces. I can't see anything good coming from this - I guess Xenophobia rules. Sad, but true.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
For those of us due money from the UK, it's not so bloody good.

Thanks for shitting on my mother's grave, ****ing Brexit *****.
Can't you just leave it in the UK as Sterling and wait? I suppose the IRS could argue you owe capital gains tax on it but then again I don't think so because it's a one-way transaction, didn't start off as USD.

My personal view is that there are so many factors that will force the UK to compromise, e.g. Scotland, Sinn Féin, the financial industry, the construction industry, the EU etc. that the UK will probably end up in the EEA at the end of this. If you can wait a couple of years things will stablilize.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

That is a big concern. It took long enough to establish the fragile peace that they have. I think Cameron made a mistake calling this referendum.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
There hasn't been a border for years - people just walk across.
Probably nothing will happen, because I can't see freedom of movement going away. Even if it did, it would probably be imposed internally because the nationalists aren't going to accept anything less. So there would be internal controls coming from Northern Ireland into the rest of the UK.

Even that I think is unlikely.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
That is a big concern. It took long enough to establish the fragile peace that they have. calling I think Cameron made a mistake this referendum.
Oh I'm sure that Cameron is kicking himself!! It was a surprise though - I knew the vote would be close, but I (and most other people I believe) really thought the "remain" vote would win.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you sat on the EEA council would you want some indecisive country joining? The UK has said it wants nothing to do with Europe , so why would you let the UK join. It is very disruptive for all concerned when someone leaves the club. Also we are not best of friends with Iceland after the Cod wars.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

I think Cameron made a mistake calling this referendum.
You think he made a mistake? No he demonstrably made the biggest mistake in western political history since WW2.

History will record him as being a complete ****ing idiot. He could at least have hedged it a bit by saying he wanted to see 75% voter turnout before accepting the result or similar.

The only other person I can think of in the same league was Jim Prentice calling an early election in Alberta and losing in a titantic landslide after the Tories had been in power for more than 40 years. That took stupidity on an unprecedented level.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:43 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

If you sat on the EEA council would you want some indecisive country joining? The UK has said it wants nothing to do with Europe , so why would you let the UK join. It is very disruptive for all concerned when someone leaves the club. Also we are not best of friends with Iceland after the Cod wars.
You could be a de facto member like Switzerland. With the same sort of conditions on membership. The real question isn't whether the EEA would accept the UK but whether the Brexiters would be okay with being in the EEA.

Can't see they've got much choice really. Not unless they want Scotland to become independent.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 4:36 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I worry a lot about the stability of Northern Ireland - I have family back there. It has been a "fragile peace" there and benefited a lot from being in the EU. I'm not sure what will happen now with the border between N Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. There hasn't been a border for years - people just walk across. I am originally from Derry/Londonderry (whatever you want to call it). They were one of the highest votes in the "remain" campaign. As for Scotland - there will be another independence referendum and the Scots will win this time - I can't say I blame them. They will "want to take their country back". The Brits (or I should say the English and the Welsh) have cut off their noses to spite their faces. I can't see anything good coming from this - I guess Xenophobia rules. Sad, but true.
It's a growing concern. My party, the Ulster Unionists were in support of remaining as well, it appears they may have been the only major unionist party that were, unless Alliance, who are still loosely unionist were for it.

Northern Ireland as a whole voted to remain as did Scotland. If Scotland does leave the UK, it does make one wonder what Northern Ireland's future is.

I don't know how the Common Travel Area will be affected, while it was between the UK and Ireland and nothing to do with the EU, this does now mean that the UK shares a land border with the EU and vice versa. Though perhaps the Irish government will not be so harsh on people coming down from NI, as it's always been, the UK may feel differently.

I really think this sets a strong precedent for the Republican movement to gain a lot more support, with some of that coming from the pro-EU 'small u' unionists, those who wanted to stay in the UK because of various benefits such as the NHS and EU money. While even I as a unionist am starting to care less about that aspect of it, the potential for civil war to kick off again has always been bubbling under the surface and this could be the tipping point.

Originally Posted by Steve_
Can't you just leave it in the UK as Sterling and wait? I suppose the IRS could argue you owe capital gains tax on it but then again I don't think so because it's a one-way transaction, didn't start off as USD.

My personal view is that there are so many factors that will force the UK to compromise, e.g. Scotland, Sinn Féin, the financial industry, the construction industry, the EU etc. that the UK will probably end up in the EEA at the end of this. If you can wait a couple of years things will stablilize.
Honestly, I can't really wait. I am not willing to reopen an UK bank account and put five figures in it thereby generating an offshore asset that will be a tax liability that simply owning a house would not. Also it's not fair on my sister, we both just want to be done with it. Beyond that, we kind of need the money, we have a mind boggling amount of credit card debt that this will eliminate completely.

This will be something that will be complete by August, my sister is talking about being able to wire me the money as soon as July. The pound is already back up at $1.37, I don't think it will drop much below $1.30 in that time, certainly not to parity, and even then we'd still be getting more than enough to clear our debts. I got a bit greedy and a bit over excited about getting a few grand to spend on some new toys. As it stands now that probably will still happen, I allowed myself to get overly salty about the whole thing.

It was a good idea and a valid point, but I have more pressing needs right now that this will take care of.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You think he made a mistake? No he demonstrably made the biggest mistake in western political history since WW2.

History will record him as being a complete ****ing idiot. He could at least have hedged it a bit by saying he wanted to see 75% voter turnout before accepting the result or similar.
Hindsight is 20/20 but asking for a 60% supermajority would have been so easy.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 4:57 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

If it goes to $1.15 I'm going to mortgage my house and buy pounds.
Nice for American tourists of course. Could see a surge suddenly start before end of summer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.