Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Old Apr 28th 2017, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

The GBP/USD exchange rate finally got back up to $1.30 today
Old Apr 28th 2017, 6:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Right. Just in time for my vacation and now I'll be 4p/$ worse off than a few months ago

Still, I can't change my spending money until I get all my expense checks in.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 6:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Up around six cents since the execution of Article 50, proving again that in the currency markets, uncertainty is more damaging than potentially bad news.

Either that, or the City bigwigs were lying and Brexit might actually be good news for the UK after all.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 28th 2017 at 6:06 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Up around six cents since the execution of Article 50, proving again that in the currency markets, uncertainty is more damaging than potentially bad news.

Either that, or the City bigwigs were lying and Brexit might actually be good news for the UK after all.
Up since the mention of an election. Be interesting to see what happens if May doesn't get elected.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 6:21 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Brexit itself is not inherently good or bad (the idea was ****ing shite though, IMO), it's the negotiation of the waters post-A50 that will actually affect the currency. Handled correctly, it would be possible to make a purse out of a sow's ear.

However, I wouldn't be mad if it temporarily went 1:1 until I've changed my vacation money
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Up since the mention of an election. Be interesting to see what happens if May doesn't get elected.
$1.244 at the close the day of the Article 50 announcement, $1.255 at the close of the day before the election announcement, so yeh the gain seems almost all related to the election as opposed to Article 50. Of course, those two things aren't unrelated...

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 28th 2017 at 8:46 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You know she called the election just before holiday season so they could get a better deal on buying their holiday money
Old Jun 9th 2017, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Hung parliament... £1 = $1.27... here we go again.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's stable at $1.27 ish. I believe it will hang around this rate for the next few years. I don't see much changing with the current Government.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 2:58 pm
I have a comma problem

79p to the dollar, so it's up a few pence but nothing major. At the very least I'll be 2p per dollar better off when I change money for our vacation. Whoopee
Old Jun 9th 2017, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
79p to the dollar, so it's up a few pence but nothing major. At the very least I'll be 2p per dollar better off when I change money for our vacation. Whoopee
Compared to a year ago, the exchange rate is much better.

Think of the extra Monster Munch you'll be able to buy.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 3:45 pm
I have a comma problem

Compared to a year ago, the exchange rate is much better.

Think of the extra Monster Munch you'll be able to buy.
It's what gets me through the day

Seriously though, I've checked out, I'm in vacation more already and there's still another two weeks to go.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Seriously though, I've checked out, I'm in vacation more already and there's still another two weeks to go.
And they hadn't gone up in price, paid £1 for a 6 pack in Tesco
Old Jun 9th 2017, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

When you're an expat in the US I guess the plus side is how much cheaper a trip back home will be, even if the toblerone and other packers contain much food 🤦‍♂️
Old Jun 9th 2017, 3:50 pm
I have a comma problem

And they hadn't gone up in price, paid £1 for a 6 pack in Tesco
Sweet. I'll take that price any day.

Originally Posted by LouisB
When you're an expat in the US I guess the plus side is how much cheaper a trip back home will be, even if the toblerone and other packers contain much food 🤦‍♂️
Well we've been over when it's been a less than favourable exchange rate as well, so it's always been swings and roundabouts. It'll be nice to have our money go a bit further, of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.