Reload this Page >

Work opportunities in Bangkok

Work opportunities in Bangkok

Old Apr 11th 2009, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Amy F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work opportunities in Bangkok

Hi All,

I am new to this site and was hoping that someone could offer some advice.
I am a teacher who has been offered an opportunity to go and work in an international school in bangkok.
My long term boyfriend works within marketing and needs to find a job out in bangkok before we move out from the UK.
Where should he look?
Is there a job forum for expats?
Do companies usually supply visas?
Thanks
Amy
Old May 16th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work opportunities in Bangkok

Originally Posted by Amy F
Hi All,

I am new to this site and was hoping that someone could offer some advice.
I am a teacher who has been offered an opportunity to go and work in an international school in bangkok.
My long term boyfriend works within marketing and needs to find a job out in bangkok before we move out from the UK.
Where should he look?
Do companies usually supply visas?
Thanks
Amy
Hi Amy,
I see no-one replied to you. Unfortunately, the Far East forums seem to not be so popular as Middle East for instance.
Anyway, I used to live in Bangkok, now living in Shanghai.
There are lot's of teachers in Bangkok, and judging from a couple that I knew, you could get either a really bad salary (as low as 40,000 baht per month) or like my friend, he was getting 140,000, went to work around 8.30, and was finished by 3pm!!! Such an easy life he had and pay was fantastic relative to my 12 hrs a day in my job.

If you have a job offer, accept it and move over. Your bf can come with you on a tourist visa and will get 3 months, that can be extended one or two more times, before he will have to get out for 3 months before he can go back in. They changed the rules a couple of years ago which helped get rid of some of the pond life.
I tried for 2 years to get a job in Far East while I sat in the UK, it was pretty impossible. I was just lucky to get in contact with people I know, then even when I got my job, I didn't apply for my work visa until I was in Bangkok. Otherwise applying from the UK would be likely to be refused.
Take the risk, welcome to Asia!
Drop me a line if you want to directly.

regards
Paul
Old May 31st 2009, 4:37 pm
Banned

DumbFalang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amy F
Hi All,
You could try thaivisa.com it is a very active site for expats in Thailand.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Hi Amy,
I see no-one replied to you. Unfortunately, the Far East forums seem to not be so popular as Middle East for instance.
Anyway, I used to live in Bangkok, now living in Shanghai.
There are lot's of teachers in Bangkok, and judging from a couple that I knew, you could get either a really bad salary (as low as 40,000 baht per month) or like my friend, he was getting 140,000, went to work around 8.30, and was finished by 3pm!!! Such an easy life he had and pay was fantastic relative to my 12 hrs a day in my job.

If you have a job offer, accept it and move over. Your bf can come with you on a tourist visa and will get 3 months, that can be extended one or two more times, before he will have to get out for 3 months before he can go back in. They changed the rules a couple of years ago which helped get rid of some of the pond life.
I tried for 2 years to get a job in Far East while I sat in the UK, it was pretty impossible. I was just lucky to get in contact with people I know, then even when I got my job, I didn't apply for my work visa until I was in Bangkok. Otherwise applying from the UK would be likely to be refused.
Take the risk, welcome to Asia!
Drop me a line if you want to directly.

regards
Paul
Hi Paul, you dont have to get out for 3 months, new regulations stipulate that
on a 90 day visa, you leave the country by air if you are wanting to re-enter. All land exits to/from Thailand visitors are given 2 weeks only.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siamsusie
Hi Paul, you dont have to get out for 3 months, new regulations stipulate that
on a 90 day visa, you leave the country by air if you are wanting to re-enter. All land exits to/from Thailand visitors are given 2 weeks only.
Quite easy to get low paying jobs working under the table so to speak but not sure it really worth it.Some dodgy schools do not seem to ask to many questions...and outside of Bangkok should prove easier to get by on earnings.
It was possible to make more giving private lessions to the Thai Middle Class/Elite but not sure if that is still a goer with so many people wanting to stay a time in that conutry.
Good Luck.