Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

What is it about Thailand?

What is it about Thailand?

Old Feb 17th 2006, 3:39 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it about Thailand?

Originally Posted by Wellington,
Oh Really. Why would you expect Thais to speak English. Do you speak Thai?
I agree with you there! But everything else he said about BKK was pretty accurate. Except perhaps that I don't think it's the bugs that smell, it's more likely the raw fish and seafood on the roadside carts.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:53 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasaNova
Awesome Country, Though its very Smelly on every corner of Bangkok with no sewage waste infrastructure the rain and humidity makes it even worse not to mention the road side Car/tuk tuk Pollution and the road side frying and cooking of Crockroaches and insects.

always looking around left rigght back and center in order to avoid being hit by a motorcycle or being stepped on by an Elephant.

People are good but its a miracle to find someone who can speak english.

A great destination to 'Just' I repeat 'Just' to Enjoy.

1. Agreed. Awsome country.
2.Smelly on every corner. Yes. But not all bad smells. You can get whiff of the sewer then 2 seconds later you can get a wiff of some lovely food being cooked.
3.There is sewer infrastructure. Maybe not as good as it could be.
4. Rain and humdity. It doesnt rain very often except in the rainy season. The rest of the year its pretty good.
5. Agreed about the traffic pollution
6. Cooking on the street. Great food. Some of the best. IMHO. As for eating cockroaches. They dont eat cockroaches. They eat other bugs sure. But the things that look like cockroaches are not. They are some kind of beetle.

How do i know this? Because i live here. Bangkok is what you make it. Someones dislike about a place could be someone elses pleasure. Its a personal choice, up to you. You wont have a view until you have been here.
PS. The bugs are great with beer. Especailly the crickets or silk worms.

Last edited by Jockstar; Feb 18th 2006 at 4:55 am.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 5:05 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
1. Agreed. Awsome country.
2.Smelly on every corner. Yes. But not all bad smells. You can get whiff of the sewer then 2 seconds later you can get a wiff of some lovely food being cooked.
3.There is sewer infrastructure. Maybe not as good as it could be.
4. Rain and humdity. It doesnt rain very often except in the rainy season. The rest of the year its pretty good.
5. Agreed about the traffic pollution
6. Cooking on the street. Great food. Some of the best. IMHO. As for eating cockroaches. They dont eat cockroaches. They eat other bugs sure. But the things that look like cockroaches are not. They are some kind of beetle.

How do i know this? Because i live here. Bangkok is what you make it. Someones dislike about a place could be someone elses pleasure. Its a personal choice, up to you. You wont have a view until you have been here.
PS. The bugs are great with beer. Especailly the crickets or silk worms.

The traffic is a total nightmare I doubt that it will ever be solved, all the routes are completely jammed packed 24/7!

the color white is an endangered color as everything turns black in a matter of minutes due to pollution.

my nostrils were burning due to the smoke.

There is just something special about this place that makes you love it or hate it but nothing in-between.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
For those who have never been here. Do come. It will be one if the best holidays you have ever had. Even Bangkok is a great place. Though not all would agree. But personally i love it. I had my folks over last year also my brothers and heaps of friends from all over the world. They had come for my wedding. Not one of them had a bad time. Everyone went away with fond memories. Vowing to return again in the future. This was not just because of my wedding. I would personally stay away from Samui. But thats my opinion. Never been to Phuket but heard mixed reports. Some love it some hate it. Its a persoanlly choice. I would suggest anywhere around Krabi. Some of the most beautiful scenery in Thailand.IMHO
Krabi indeed has mind blowing scenery; it's a 3 hour drive from Phuket,we go every year on 11/9 to celebrate my wife's birthday and met a baby elephant 2 years ago called Ra RA. Played on the beach and in the sea. The second year she recognised us and ran over ,lifted her trunk and kissed me full on the mouth.
What an experience. But she is 3 years old now and getting big, so may move on next year.
Yes ,go to krabi, it is amazing.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:48 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wellington,
Krabi indeed has mind blowing scenery; it's a 3 hour drive from Phuket,we go every year on 11/9 to celebrate my wife's birthday and met a baby elephant 2 years ago called Ra RA. Played on the beach and in the sea. The second year she recognised us and ran over ,lifted her trunk and kissed me full on the mouth.
What an experience. But she is 3 years old now and getting big, so may move on next year.
Yes ,go to krabi, it is amazing.

I can;t wait to go back! next trip is to Phuket and Krabi
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:53 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I can;t wait to go back! next trip is to Phuket and Krabi

I reckon you need a good month to enjoy Thailand.

We didnt want to come back and dragged our heels to the airport.

You are so right that you either love it or hate it, no inbetween.

Actually, 3 months would do me.

Wellington, you are so lucky to be living there

Im going to look at my holiday video now, Casanova, you have made me want to book another ticket!

Have you got any pictures of your holiday you could post?
Old Feb 18th 2006, 1:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I reckon you need a good month to enjoy Thailand.

We didnt want to come back and dragged our heels to the airport.

You are so right that you either love it or hate it, no inbetween.

Actually, 3 months would do me.

Wellington, you are so lucky to be living there

Im going to look at my holiday video now, Casanova, you have made me want to book another ticket!

Have you got any pictures of your holiday you could post?

Well Sam, I had the offer to go to Phuket but i turned it down as i didnt wanted to waste my time in packing, Take-offs and landings and all the hussle bustles!!!

So i decided to do a good 10day visit to Koh samoui! (as you know how fast the days are flying) i still think i didnt spent enough time in Samoui

i have got the pics and i will post them Insha-Allah soon after i get the camera from my friend.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 1:53 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Sam, I had the offer to go to Phuket but i turned it down as i didnt wanted to waste my time in packing, Take-offs and landings and all the hussle bustles!!!

So i decided to do a good 10day visit to Koh samoui! (as you know how fast the days are flying) i still think i didnt spent enough time in Samoui

i have got the pics and i will post them Insha-Allah soon after i get the camera from my friend.

Fantastic!

PM me your email if you like and when I get the chance, Ill send you my Phuket pictures.

Did you drink the local beer? My god its so cheap.

(I cant remember if you drink or not, apologies if you dont )
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:00 pm
Banned

Fantastic!

PM me your email if you like and when I get the chance, Ill send you my Phuket pictures.

Did you drink the local beer? My god its so cheap.

(I cant remember if you drink or not, apologies if you dont )

oh that would be great! Actually i need you advice on Phuket. (Auto has explained me a lot though)

Singha no i didnt drink it.

No i dont drink Alcohol, as a kid Religion kept me away from it now since i am independent i dont drink it as i hate its taste.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:02 pm

oh that would be great! Actually i need you advice on Phuket. (Auto has explained me a lot though)

Singha no i didnt drink it.

No i dont drink Alcohol, as a kid Religion kept me away from it now since i am independent i dont drink it as i hate its taste.

Abdel got so into that Singha beer and would buy a bottle by the litre. Being hot and humid, it is easy to drink more than you would normally.

I had never had Thai food before and now love it.

What do you need to know about Phuket, although I reckon Wellington might be the one to ask as he lives there.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:06 pm
Banned

What do you need to know about Phuket, although I reckon Wellington might be the one to ask as he lives there.

Everything! What is the best time to come? for how long? place to stay? etc.

but i can ask all this later end of march, as i plan to visit in April!! (if my question is answered)

I just need the answer for this for the time being:

What is the best time to come?
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:10 pm

but i can ask all this later end of march, as i plan to visit in April!! (if my question is answered)

Oh God I dont know, we went in June and it was nice.

I reckon ask Wellington, he knows loads about Phuket, the best places and everything.

We stayed in Karon which was nice.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:55 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

April is gonna be HOT!!! Up to you. You will definately get a tan though!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Professional Princess]Oh God I dont know, we went in June and it was nice.

I reckon ask Wellington, he knows loads about Phuket, the best places and everything.

Best for what?
Jan/Feb/March most reliable sunshine(32/36c)
April gets hot
May /june some rain
But always warm,always beautiful,always magic
Even when rain it's warm rain!
look at www. phuketinfo.com
www.sawadee.com
www.thaivisa.com