Visa advice

Old May 10th 2015, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

angieglenn87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa advice

Hi,

Please could I get some advice with regards to which type of visa would be most appropriate for my father to apply for, as he plans to visit Thailand long term.

He is 65 years of age and receiving a British state pension which I think is about £600 per month which is his only income.
He has a partner in Thailand, although they are not married, have built a house together where they will be living.

I'd also like to know if, when it comes to renewing his visa, if he can do this by crossing the border of Thailand, and not coming all the way home to the UK.

I would be very grateful for your help

Kind regards
Angela
Old May 11th 2015, 7:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa advice

Hi. I no longer live in Thailand but I did used to have the Thai retirement visa, and that may be one good option for him. Take a look at this topic below. You can click the link. It's a little bit old (2013) but will give you some idea.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/thail...s-time-814851/

If the rules are still the same then you need EITHER 800,000 THB in a Thai bank. That's about GBP 15,460. OR an income of THB 65,000 per month, which is approx GBP 1256 per month.

I think he should be able to do the visa within Thailand and, certainly, renew within Thailand.

I am really not up-to-date with the latest rules, so hopefully Nonthaburi (or someone else) will be along to help you out.
Old May 19th 2015, 7:03 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa advice

What she said. It's 800,000 in a Thai bank or monthly income of 65,000. I'm not sure if you can still do a combination of the two or not.
Your father's status with his partner will have no bearing on the matter as they are not married.
If your father can't meet the requirements there are other options open to him. The easiest, although it depends on where he will be living, is to sign up for Thai language classes and get an education visa for a year. A lot of them don't need to many contact hours.
He could also look at making some kind of 'unofficial' payment at his local immigration office. I personally knew people who did this and they ended up paying about 20-25K a year.
I can't see how he would get an non-'O' visa as he's not married, so the only other option is tourist visa of which there are many combinations of thins he can do depending on location and finances.