Trip to Chiang Mai area

Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:10 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trip to Chiang Mai area

Originally Posted by Stuurman
Chiang Mai expats are very much different than the ones you find in Pattaya and Phuket. There are much more couples and families here. There is also a big group of young online entrepreneurs (calling themselves digital nomads) who use Chiang Mai as a base. It's estimated about 40K Farang, that's how western expats are called by the Thai, are living in and around Chiang Mai.

November is a great time to visit, nice cool evenings and nights and clear blue skies during the day. The Mae Hong Son loop is a great trip but I advise you to do it with your own transport, either by car or motorbike. Some very brave ones even do it with their bicycle

If you need info or tips let me know.
Thank you, all advice would be most welcome! My first problem is that I'm flying into Bangkok from Dubai and I've booked the return leg from KL. Under the (existing) visa on arrival rules I'm supposed to have booked an onward flight from Thailand but I haven't decided how long I'll stay nor where I'll depart from. Bit irritating that.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 11:59 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Phuket property nightmare

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Thank you, all advice would be most welcome! My first problem is that I'm flying into Bangkok from Dubai and I've booked the return leg from KL. Under the (existing) visa on arrival rules I'm supposed to have booked an onward flight from Thailand but I haven't decided how long I'll stay nor where I'll depart from. Bit irritating that.
The worst case scenario is that they make you buy a ticket to KL when you arrive. I have known this to happen to people but it is very unlikely. Anyway, what with Airasia, Nok Air and the like it wouldn't break the bank.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 8:00 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to Chiang Mai area

I've created a new thread for this as I could do with some more advice/views.

First on the subject of hotels, in Chiang Mai and the start of the Mae Hong Son loop I'm looking at the following:-

Chiang Mai, Pai and Mae Hong Son

I can't seem to find much on the southern part of the loop.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a good car rental firm, normally I would use rentalcars.com

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 3:01 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to Chiang Mai area

You'll probably find that you'll get a better deal on a car locally. As an example, my wife was recently renting a mid-range car like a Corolla for 500 Baht a day. It would probably be around 800 online. She was renting for a while though, and obviously she's Thai too so that might make a difference.

Even so, I always think with local car hire they don't actually do that much business so they're kind of happy to get any rental rather than none.

I've no idea about the North, never been. I don't do mountains.