Thinking of working in Thailand

Thinking of working in Thailand

Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:36 pm
cse
Just Joined

cse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of working in Thailand

Hi all

My girlfriend and I are in the process of planing a big world trip and we were looking into working in countries to supplement our travel. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information with finding work in Thailand as it is one country we would be interested in staying for a while. I'm English and my girlfriend is Irish and we are both 31.

I was thinking more specifically teaching English (typical I know). My girlfriend has taught English in Spain and currently works for an English language company and has done so for a number of years. She is also educated to degree level.

I on the other hand have no experience in teaching (I'm a telecomms engineer) and also I don't hold a degree.

For myself I was looking into TELF/TESOL courses but there are a lot of different courses there and I am not sure which one would be suitable for me. How easy would work be to come by with this kind of qualification? I would assume that my girlfriend having teaching experience would find it easier and would probably not need to take one of these qualifications?

Also, what kind of job would I be looking at? I don't mean money wise as working is only about paying the rent and having change left over for a beer at the end of the week . I mean would it be legitimate work, cash in hand, legal, illegal?

It doesn't necessarily have to be Thailand as we are open to other countries in Asia. Sorry I am not too familiar with Asia as I've not done a lot of traveling in that part of the world. Also the post may be a bit vague. We are not planning to go for at least a year but I am just putting the feelers out now for information to be as prepared as possible

Thanks all

Chris
Old Nov 18th 2014, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking of working in Thailand

I am thinking of doing the TELF/TESOL courses myself I have a degree with hons which I gained in 2001. please let me know which course you decided to take.

I am looking at Thailand or Malaysia.

If your interested friends have told me that there are a lot of teaching jobs in Malaysia.

Originally Posted by cse
Hi all

My girlfriend and I are in the process of planing a big world trip and we were looking into working in countries to supplement our travel. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information with finding work in Thailand as it is one country we would be interested in staying for a while. I'm English and my girlfriend is Irish and we are both 31.

I was thinking more specifically teaching English (typical I know). My girlfriend has taught English in Spain and currently works for an English language company and has done so for a number of years. She is also educated to degree level.

I on the other hand have no experience in teaching (I'm a telecomms engineer) and also I don't hold a degree.

For myself I was looking into TELF/TESOL courses but there are a lot of different courses there and I am not sure which one would be suitable for me. How easy would work be to come by with this kind of qualification? I would assume that my girlfriend having teaching experience would find it easier and would probably not need to take one of these qualifications?

Also, what kind of job would I be looking at? I don't mean money wise as working is only about paying the rent and having change left over for a beer at the end of the week . I mean would it be legitimate work, cash in hand, legal, illegal?

It doesn't necessarily have to be Thailand as we are open to other countries in Asia. Sorry I am not too familiar with Asia as I've not done a lot of traveling in that part of the world. Also the post may be a bit vague. We are not planning to go for at least a year but I am just putting the feelers out now for information to be as prepared as possible

Thanks all

Chris
Old Nov 18th 2014, 11:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of working in Thailand

I knew a fair number of TEFL teachers when I lived in Bangkok. They were mostly working illegally for not much cash and were constantly scrounging off those of us with proper jobs

There are good teaching jobs to be had, just make sure to do some due diligence on any companies you engage with to get a TEFL position as there are stories about people going months without being paid