Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Is Thailand The Place For Us??

Is Thailand The Place For Us??

Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:16 am
Banned

Rockly1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Thailand The Place For Us??

Originally Posted by Wellington,
Maybe she should try Tibet
The monks are nice.
Hi
You agree with her but ask why she is here........I doubt she still is or will continue to be.

Many people become totally disillusioned having thought it would be a good place.

They take a chance and then find out it is totally False.

Don't blame someone for telling as it really is!

And THIS Thread wil NEVER go away for long.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by happynz
Mate, I lived in Thailand for five years. I'm well aware of the shortcomings and frustrations of living there.

It appears to me you are quite bitter about the place.

Yes and with very good reasons.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:38 pm
Banned

currymuncher is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Dec 30th 2007, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockly1
Yes and with very good reasons.
And those reasons are?
Old Dec 30th 2007, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Mandy1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coultrm
May I surrgest Malaysia, we are going to retire in Spain but only chose it over Penang in Malaysia as I still have my elderly mother in the UK and need to fly back if needed quickly.
Apartments are stunning and reasonably priced for UK citizens, the facilities are wonderful. Penang has it all - I would rate it over Thailand every time.

All the best.
The problem with Thailand is that you can't be sure what they are doing next. One day some of the little bit brainless politicans come up with another stupid law and you might even loose your property. A high Thai government official once said in an interview "Thais should take as much as they can from western people and not give back".

The statement itself is ridiculous of course and this guy would have lost his job in europe but it kinda resembles the whole attitude. Western people are seen as running atms. I left Thailand 2 years ago and don't plan to go back.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:39 am
Just Joined

justice is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:22 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you really think that any country (ANY country) wants foreigners in just because they like them?? Get real - every country wants foreigners to spend money including UK.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:49 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well said. Some people here in Asia piss me off by thinking they're doing the region a favour by being here, and expecting citizens' rights - especially as they soon object to immigrants doing likewise in the UK.

It's a two way thing, and we Brits no longer rule the Empire. Not even sure we have one.

(Guess you're no longer my neighbour, KK?)
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

JoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Do you really think that any country (ANY country) wants foreigners in just because they like them?? Get real - every country wants foreigners to spend money including UK.
Thailand, anywhere else for that matter people are people and "they" make the Country. Unless one lives in a dictatorship people choose their Government..I do feel that Brit's in general get a raw deal with taxation but then again we do see "something" for it..Guess one has to live abroad to appreciate it.
While I don't feel I am a tub thumbing Brit' I am proud of our many achievements and also ashamed of our abysmal failures. Regardless, Britain is the most sought after country in Europe and some other parts of the world that illegal immiigrants want to sneak into and no doubt the day will come when we will see police carrying guns in our small towns as a matter of course..I spent only a little time in Thailand and speaking from my own experience only, I found the average (what's average?) Thai away from the city (and most in) to be gracious and hospitable. Of course actually living in Thailand may be a different matter, but I don't want to destroy my illusions and fond memories of happy times spent with my Thai friends.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoanMC
Thailand, anywhere else for that matter people are people and "they" make the Country. Unless one lives in a dictatorship people choose their Government..I do feel that Brit's in general get a raw deal with taxation but then again we do see "something" for it..Guess one has to live abroad to appreciate it.
While I don't feel I am a tub thumbing Brit' I am proud of our many achievements and also ashamed of our abysmal failures. Regardless, Britain is the most sought after country in Europe and some other parts of the world that illegal immiigrants want to sneak into and no doubt the day will come when we will see police carrying guns in our small towns as a matter of course..I spent only a little time in Thailand and speaking from my own experience only, I found the average (what's average?) Thai away from the city (and most in) to be gracious and hospitable. Of course actually living in Thailand may be a different matter, but I don't want to destroy my illusions and fond memories of happy times spent with my Thai friends.
Living in Thailand is indeed a different matter, but we've been here for 5 years and love most of it; nowhere is 100% and England now by all accounts is getting to be a nightmare.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:04 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wellington,
Living in Thailand is indeed a different matter, but we've been here for 5 years and love most of it; nowhere is 100% and England now by all accounts is getting to be a nightmare.
You take the good with the bad. As you do in any country. Thailand is a great country. But it is far from perfect. I live in Oz now after 5 years in Thailand. I have no desire to return to the Uk. I would however live in Thailand again the the future. But not for a quite a few years. I do love it though.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

jakevisa is on a distinguished road

is thai consulate in coral gabels still in operation and accepting visitor visa application in person? the thai embassy website does not clearly state taht, but notes that application from florida be sent to embassy in dc.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:58 pm
Banned

Question Re: Is Thailand The Place For Us??

Hello Again......I say again because my long and very considered reply was BLOCKED !

That was a pity because it was both pro and anti Thailand...

It was all honest truth, gained from EXPERIENCE and posted to HELP others AVOID the mistakes of Thailand.

I was then BANNED for ( I cannot recall how many - not bothered ) weeks!
Hilarious really.

How can you have a PUBLIC FORUM and then be a JUDGE as to what is written?

I refered to RICE MONKEYS (Rice Farmers)
and the MONKEY HOUSE ( Police Station Cells )

YES!

But I live in ISSAN and the people here
use that same terminology themselves !!!

But I was told it was Rascist.... Not at All.

I am not talking about Filth or Swear words BUT OPINION!

A worthwhile FORUM should be more flexible... OK?

Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mandy1978
The problem with Thailand is that you can't be sure what they are doing next. One day some of the little bit brainless politicans come up with another stupid law and you might even loose your property. A high Thai government official once said in an interview "Thais should take as much as they can from western people and not give back".

The statement itself is ridiculous of course and this guy would have lost his job in europe but it kinda resembles the whole attitude. Western people are seen as running atms. I left Thailand 2 years ago and don't plan to go back.
I read this week that Brits are losing their houses in Spain because they were illegally built on "Green Belt";according to Govt.
Nice to see your only home bull-dozed. I hope those people can recover in civil actions against the developers who conned them in the first place.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Calangute,Goa (October -May) Pattaya,Thailand (May-Oct)
enfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really nice
Smile Re: Is Thailand The Place For Us??

Well old boy let me enlighten you :-

1) Old soldiers ALWAYS die one way or another.The records and war monuments are full of it.Even yours and mine time will come some day!

2) The only comment regarding 'the only thing I fear is fear' is that it so hackneyed ,especially on this website and especially by you,that it needs a more up to date quote.

Wellington was not particularly often quoted or noted for his clever remarks.
In short your act needs sharpening up !
Try Churchill,Oscar Wilde or Bobby Ball.
By the way ,'Long Live Pattaya'.

Bon Nuit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.