Train from KUL to BKK

Old Jan 16th 2002, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

rbrun is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going on a 2 week trip from Kuala Lumpur to Bankok in February 02, planning to spend a few days in those cities and a couple of days on some west coast island/beach and to visit some beautiful sites.

Q1: Is there a train from KUL to BKK or are busses the better choice?
Would someone even know something about the departure times/days in KUL.

Q2: Does anyone know a reasonnably good, simple hotel that is better than those listed in the Lonely Planet?

Q3: Does anyone know a nice beach other than the standard ones (Penang,...)

Thanks
Richi
Old Jan 16th 2002, 4:23 pm
Eric Hoi

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Yes, there are daily train services between KUL and BKK with change-overs at
Butterworth and Padang Besar. For train schedules, goto http://www.ktmb.com.my or
http://www.srt.motc.go.th/httpEng

>
    >

There are plenty of good hotels in KL at affordable rates. For an idea of the hotels
available in KL, take a look at http://www.asiatravelmart.com
http://www.reliancetravel.com

>

For nice beaches, forget Penang. Goto the East Coast islands, i.e. Redang,
Perhentian, Tioman, etc. That's where all the good beaches are. If you have to stick
to the West Coast, Langkawi offers better beaches than Penang, including the Datai
Beach (World's Best Kept Secret according to the Discovery Channel).

>
    >
    >

Old Jan 16th 2002, 4:46 pm
Am

says...

>
    >

There are trains, although personally I prefer the buses, as booking them is much
more flexible and they are very comfortable (VIP 24 seaters).

>
    >

Where ? In KL ? Season's View in Jalan Alor.

>

Forget about Penang. Nice beaches are available on the islands off the coast of Krabi
as well as in Koh Samui for instance. There are no nice beaches on Malaysia's west
coast. Koh Samet island south of Bangkok has very nice beaches.
--

Alfred Molon Remove the obvious to email
------------------------------
Olympus C4040 discussion group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus4040

Old Jan 16th 2002, 8:46 pm
Markku GröNroos

[usenetquote2]> > Q1: Is there a train from KUL to BKK or are busses the better choice? Would[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > someone even know something about the departure times/days in KUL.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Q2: Does anyone know a reasonnably good, simple hotel that is better than those[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > listed in the Lonely Planet?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Q3: Does anyone know a nice beach other than the standard ones (Penang,...)[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Langawi doesn't host nice beaches ?

Old Jan 17th 2002, 6:59 am
Am

>

Beaches there are so-so, but the big problem is that the sea water is dirty (no
crystal clear water and white coral sand as on the islands of the east coast).

--

Alfred Molon Remove the obvious to email
------------------------------
Olympus C4040 discussion group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus4040

Old Jan 17th 2002, 3:37 pm
Not The Karl Orff

>
[usenetquote2]> > Langawi doesn't host nice beaches ?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

not to mention sand flies

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 10:38 am
Just Joined

alualu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rbrun
We are going on a 2 week trip from Kuala Lumpur to Bankok in February 02, planning to spend a few days in those cities and a couple of days on some west coast island/beach and to visit some beautiful sites.

Q2: Does anyone know a reasonnably good, simple hotel that is better than those listed in the Lonely Planet?

Thanks
Richi
Hello there. How about spending some time in Pulau Perhentian enroute to Bangkok? From KL, you can take the express overnight train and stop at Wakaf Baru. From Wakaf Baru station, get a taxi to take you to Kuala Besut. Take the speedboat from there to the islands.

February will be the start of the season after the monsoon. You can (most definitely) find empty, white sandy beaches and beautiful sea. Not bad to spend a few days there for some relaxation and maybe take in some snorkeling and scuba diving.

Check out www.alualudivers.com for some info and price indication. Enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Jezza is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there,

If you have lots of $$$, you should look at Pangkor Laut Resort. You will find it on the web using most search things. Sea is not good anywhere one the West Coast but at least Pangkor Laut Resort is nice. We liked the Hill villas rather than the more expensive beach or sea villas due to the great views from up high.

Take a look at the website anyway.

When we lived in KL, we went there once every 6 weeks for a long weekend but we had money then!

Have a great time and don't forget to visit 'my Petronas Towers'.
Old Dec 27th 2003, 4:05 am
Just Joined

TheLittleVoice is an unknown quantity at this point

u might wanna consider flying with air asia(www.airasia.com) from kl to johor bahru in s'pore and to bkk, it's really cheap.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

gary2rep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default KL Hotels

Originally posted by rbrun

Thanks
Richi
Try laterooms.com for your hotel in KL. I stayed for 2 nights in a 5 star hotel (Rennaissance) right near the Petronas towers for approx £26 a night, which included breakfast and afternoon tea. Watch your wallet/bag in KL and always walk towards oncoming traffic as bag snatchers on mopeds often creep up from behind and make off with your bag etc.
Best of luck
Gary
Old Jan 4th 2004, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

I can agree with gary2rep entirely. The Renaissance Hotel is very good and indeed a 5* hotel. It's attached to the New World Hotel which is also very good (all part of the JW Mariott Group).

As gary2rep said, follow his advice on scooter snatchers as it happened to several friends when I was there.

You should get up early and get your tickets to visit the bridge at the Petronas Towers as their supply is limited. I believe they are issued at the lower ground floor in the retail centre just between the towers but you should check first with your hotel concierge.

You will love KL
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:04 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Who resurected this?
Whilst your posts maybe helpful and interesting to some, the thread was started on 16th Jan 02 and the OP would now have gone on his trip nearly 2 years ago!
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Ooops,

Wasn't me who resurrected the OP though. Mr/Mrs. Alualu is responsible for that.

I wonder where they went and how they liked it. Maybe like Jim Thomson (the silk man), they went for a walk in the Cameron Highlands and never returned (otherwise they would have logged on and told us about it?).