Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thai/UK driving Liscence on temp non-ed immigration

Thai/UK driving Liscence on temp non-ed immigration

Old May 1st 2014, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Zampour is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Thai/UK driving Liscence on temp non-ed immigration

I am in thailand for 6 months on an ED non - immigration visa, I want to use my friends car to try with them to Chiang Mai for 5 days from BKK.
I have checked many websites, and they all say different things, one is that a UK driving liscence is fine. Another that I need an international driving license and another that due to the non - immigration visa i would need to get a thai driving liscence.

Since I am driving for only 5 days I hope that I only need a driving liscence, does anyone have any ideas or information on the matter? and how much minimu to spend on insurance (I just want to make sure everything I do is legal, but as I am a student I'm on a tight budget!)

Many thanks to any information, I really will appreciate it!
Old May 1st 2014, 1:11 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thai/UK driving Liscence on temp non-ed immigration

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Not sure I can help with the question. We used to live in Thailand and DID get Thai licences....the process is quite a laugh getting them, but that's another story.

Seems a bit extreme to get a Thai licence if you're only there for a short time.
Old May 4th 2014, 4:07 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thai/UK driving Liscence on temp non-ed immigration

Technically speaking, if you live in Thailand and you're driving then you should get a Thai license.
Realistically though, if you do get stopped and show the police the UK one it shouldn't be a problem.
It's worth getting the Thai one as you can use it to get Thai prices at national parks etc. The test is a joke but be prepared to set aside a day to watch the safety video and do the practical later.