Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Spending Money in Phuket

Spending Money in Phuket

Old May 5th 2005, 10:39 am
Professional Princess

Question Spending Money in Phuket

Does anyone know how much spending money my husband and myself would need for 14 nights in Phuket?

Our hotel is paid for as are airport transfers, just for 3 meals a day, nothing special, we will be doing our own tours as well with one or two organised ones.

Many thanks.

Samantha

Old May 5th 2005, 1:09 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spending Money in Phuket

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Does anyone know how much spending money my husband and myself would need for 14 nights in Phuket?

Our hotel is paid for as are airport transfers, just for 3 meals a day, nothing special, we will be doing our own tours as well with one or two organised ones.

Many thanks.

Samantha
Sam you can live for next to nothing in Thailand you can eat out for as little as £1 each or go and have dinner in a 5* hotrl for a tenner.
Old May 6th 2005, 10:32 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.

Samantha
Have a good holiday and make sure u watch Simon Cabaret too :-)
xx
Old May 9th 2005, 2:36 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks.

Samantha
Hi Samantha

Where are u staying, out of curiosity? (and I hope you booked it with Kuoni! gggrrr)

Lucyb
xx
Old May 22nd 2005, 2:16 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Ok 7000 baht is around 100 quid. You would be lucky to spend that in one day. If you want a great holiday then i'd say at least a grand pounds. Thats about 70-74000 baht. Depending on exchange rate. If you like a few beers or whatever at night then you are looking at 2-3000 baht a day. Depends on your tastes etc. Food is cheap. Stay away from the touristy places and eat where the locals eat(better food IMHO) Much cheaper. Drink the local beer. Chang, Singha, Leo etc. From the 7-11 a big 600ml beer will cost you about 37 baht. Less than 50p. As i said its down to your tastes and wher you eat/drink etc. Have a good holiday. Its people like you that Phucket needs after the disaster. Spend your money with a smile. The Thais are great people. Trust me you will have an awsome holiday.
Old May 22nd 2005, 8:41 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Ok 7000 baht is around 100 quid. You would be lucky to spend that in one day. If you want a great holiday then i'd say at least a grand pounds. Thats about 70-74000 baht. Depending on exchange rate. If you like a few beers or whatever at night then you are looking at 2-3000 baht a day. Depends on your tastes etc. Food is cheap. Stay away from the touristy places and eat where the locals eat(better food IMHO) Much cheaper. Drink the local beer. Chang, Singha, Leo etc. From the 7-11 a big 600ml beer will cost you about 37 baht. Less than 50p. As i said its down to your tastes and wher you eat/drink etc. Have a good holiday. Its people like you that Phucket needs after the disaster. Spend your money with a smile. The Thais are great people. Trust me you will have an awsome holiday.

Thanks for that Jockstar.

We are staying at Karon beach. All we have to buy is food, flights, hotel and transfers are all sorted.

So its just hubby and I.

I have seen some wicked jungle treks advertised. you have to travel a bit to get there and hire a guide, but they have the wild herds of elephants, clouded leopards and even some tigers have been sighted.

Bloody risky journey though, you need the old leech machine and your own tent. But they say hiring the guide is money well worth spending as he is an ace in tracking.

So looks like a week of getting bitten, trying to film wildlife and the second week will be relaxing in Phuket (oh and me horseriding as husband cant ride).

I think it will be a privilege to spend time with people so brave. They may have lost vast amounts in the Tsunami, but I have heard they are wonderful people.

We dont drink much, dont smoke but will take as much as we can to see as much as we can.

Im not one for sitting around and it will be great to see Phuket.

Thanks again for your helpful reply, karma when my ban is lifted.

Old May 22nd 2005, 9:29 pm
Merlot

Thanks for that Jockstar.

We are staying at Karon beach. All we have to buy is food, flights, hotel and transfers are all sorted.

So its just hubby and I.

I have seen some wicked jungle treks advertised. you have to travel a bit to get there and hire a guide, but they have the wild herds of elephants, clouded leopards and even some tigers have been sighted.

Bloody risky journey though, you need the old leech machine and your own tent. But they say hiring the guide is money well worth spending as he is an ace in tracking.

So looks like a week of getting bitten, trying to film wildlife and the second week will be relaxing in Phuket (oh and me horseriding as husband cant ride).

I think it will be a privilege to spend time with people so brave. They may have lost vast amounts in the Tsunami, but I have heard they are wonderful people.

We dont drink much, dont smoke but will take as much as we can to see as much as we can.

Im not one for sitting around and it will be great to see Phuket.

Thanks again for your helpful reply, karma when my ban is lifted.
Lucky bugger, have a ball won't you.

M

Old May 22nd 2005, 9:41 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Merlot
Lucky bugger, have a ball won't you.

M

I cant bloody wait I can tell you.

Trouble is, we have decided on this jungle trek in the rainy season.

me thinks we might just need malaria tablets now. But I have heard they can make you really sick.

Might just smother myself in the DEET spray they recommend and cover up.

Im scared of flying but wouldnt let it stop me.

Old May 22nd 2005, 9:50 pm
Merlot

I had one of the hypnotic CD's to cure the fear of flying and it really worked for me flying Oz to UK. I was not 100% "cured" but felt more in control and managable.

Going to do it for my trip to Germany next month, only a few hours on the plane but "bricking it" :scared:

M

Old May 23rd 2005, 6:12 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I cant bloody wait I can tell you.

Trouble is, we have decided on this jungle trek in the rainy season.

me thinks we might just need malaria tablets now. But I have heard they can make you really sick.

Might just smother myself in the DEET spray they recommend and cover up.

Malaria is only a very small risk in Phuket and we never bother with the tablets. (More of a risk in the north.) Better to just use some anti mozzie spray.

Spending money: 600 baht would get you a very nice seafood lunch for 2 at Kai's restaurant on Karon Beach. Same amount would buy you a good dinner for 2, you can eat for considerably less but in Phuket you might as well splurge on seafood as that's what it does best! All kinds of prawns, lobster, freshly caught fish, crabs etc - yummy! And not very expensive at all.

We tend to do what Jockstar said and buy cold Singha or Chang at the local store and have a couple on the beach, cheaper than the pubs.
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:14 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

PS if you have a look in the Lounge you'll probably find my Thai threads from last year end Feb early March.
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:48 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Don
PS if you have a look in the Lounge you'll probably find my Thai threads from last year end Feb early March.

Thanks for that Don. We are going to try and save as much cash as possible to take with us.

Some local currency plus travellers cheques I think.

Im trying to plan our jungle trek, the thought of seeing wild elephants and possibly clouded leopard, is exciting.

Ive got the maps at home, I might post them as you may well have heard of the places.

I know its lots of travelling involved but I dont want to go all that way and not at least try and see their wildlfie.

Good job husband is well up for that!

Old May 23rd 2005, 9:43 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Don. We are going to try and save as much cash as possible to take with us.

Im trying to plan our jungle trek, the thought of seeing wild elephants and possibly clouded leopard, is exciting.

Ive got the maps at home, I might post them as you may well have heard of the places.

I know its lots of travelling involved but I dont want to go all that way and not at least try and see their wildlfie.

try elephant ride ... it is a good fun
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyb
Hi Samantha

Where are u staying, out of curiosity? (and I hope you booked it with Kuoni! gggrrr)

Lucyb
xx

Book direct on the net,far better deals. "Kuoni" who the hell are they?
Agents rip you off, do it yourself; same goes for air fares.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Do tell where you are going to see a "Clouded Leopard" in Phuket; The Zoo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.