Son in BK prison

Old Jan 20th 2016, 11:36 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son in BK prison

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So that makes it OK then.
Very common throughout Asia. Indeed, not uncommon in Asian communities in the West. Western value judgements are not necessarily universal.

Too many in the charity sector (which have huge vested interests in their own employees) exaggerate problems and issues in the developing world. The dodgy Wikipedia article is probably written by some charity non-entity looking to fleece more do-gooders into donating so that he/she can swan around solving the world's problems.

Totally with Nonthaburi on this one, and he seems to have extensive experience of the region.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:55 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So that makes it OK then.
Well from what I've observed from my in-laws and others over the years, the children are still loved and healthy.

They might be poor, but that doesn't make them unhappy.

I've spent a lot of time in rural villages in the northeast, and there is always a large extended family unit, with people moving backwards and forwards from Bangkok. Parents and children.

Not ideal, but I'm sure if you asked the people involved, they wouldn't say it was terrible either. And in a lot of cases it may only be for a few years until the child can start school in Bangkok.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
..... Not ideal, .....
That's all I was saying.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

tonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Well from what I've observed from my in-laws and others over the years, the children are still loved and healthy.

They might be poor, but that doesn't make them unhappy.

I've spent a lot of time in rural villages in the northeast, and there is always a large extended family unit, with people moving backwards and forwards from Bangkok. Parents and children.

Not ideal, but I'm sure if you asked the people involved, they wouldn't say it was terrible either. And in a lot of cases it may only be for a few years until the child can start school in Bangkok.
Yeah... that's not really the same as my situation. She's not a poor Isaan farm girl. She has an office job with a credit card company.
And where have you seen kids being sent to Bkk to go to school from the poor areas? University level maybe, but not primary and secondary.
Anyway its all about whether i have to go back to the UK or not.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:23 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Point taken, let's try and keep on topic everyone.

I don't fully understand the situation between you and your GF, Tony. This is obviously key in trying to find an answer to your question. Do you still function as a couple or are you in dispute? How does she see her future?
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:41 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen your new thread in the France forum http://britishexpats.com/forum/franc.../#post11843605 which explains your circumstances a little better
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

tonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud of

Yeah. We're ok together. We've had a few fiery arguments over the years but always stayed together. And we've got 2 beautiful kids, and they are lovely! So hopefully i can stay here, continue working and get saving up so we can take the SS route to the UK later this year.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:51 am
Hostage Negotiator

That's good to know because your MiL has given an entirely different impression - Post #28
Old Jan 21st 2016, 6:19 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyjames44
Yeah... that's not really the same as my situation. She's not a poor Isaan farm girl. She has an office job with a credit card company.
And where have you seen kids being sent to Bkk to go to school from the poor areas? University level maybe, but not primary and secondary.
Anyway its all about whether i have to go back to the UK or not.
Seen it quite a bit as it goes, for the first few years the kids starts with the grandparents, then when they're older, they start school in Bangkok, because the parents can still work there and arrange transport etc, but not have to take care of them all the time.