Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

RETIREMENT IN PHUKET - ANY HELP?

RETIREMENT IN PHUKET - ANY HELP?

Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

ANDREAS1954 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RETIREMENT IN PHUKET - ANY HELP?

Hi to everybody:

We have visited Thailand 4 times for the last 10 years about 15 days each time and we thought it a wonderful place and the people so nice.

We have lived in Athens,Greece over 15 years but are beginning to tire of the attitude the lifestyle and the high prices.

We wondered if Thailand was the place to be for when retired (this is about 10 years from now)

We think to buy a house in Phuket, to use it as an investment for now and then to use it us our retirement home.
We have been in Phuket once, only for 10 days, so any advice about how life is there for expats would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RETIREMENT IN PHUKET - ANY HELP?

Originally Posted by ANDREAS1954
Hi to everybody:

We have visited Thailand 4 times for the last 10 years about 15 days each time and we thought it a wonderful place and the people so nice.

We have lived in Athens,Greece over 15 years but are beginning to tire of the attitude the lifestyle and the high prices.

We wondered if Thailand was the place to be for when retired (this is about 10 years from now)

We think to buy a house in Phuket, to use it as an investment for now and then to use it us our retirement home.
We have been in Phuket once, only for 10 days, so any advice about how life is there for expats would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Really tricky question.How can anyone know what it will be like here in ten years?
All I can say is, we have lived in Thailand for five years ,Phuket for the last two, but there are two stories. One can be told,
it's a simple and pleasant life, property is rising steadily so start looking now, but you can still have a stunning condo for under 10,000,000 bht , or a small house for 4,000,000.You can live on 100,000 a month to be comfortable,but do your research well.
The other I will impart if you want to pm me
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wellington,
Really tricky question.How can anyone know what it will be like here in ten years?
All I can say is, we have lived in Thailand for five years ,Phuket for the last two, but there are two stories. One can be told,
it's a simple and pleasant life, property is rising steadily so start looking now, but you can still have a stunning condo for under 10,000,000 bht , or a small house for 4,000,000.You can live on 100,000 a month to be comfortable,but do your research well.
The other I will impart if you want to pm me
Thanks for your answer,
I really would like to know the second storie. Is there a trap about life in Phuket?
Any advice about the different regions of Phuket. Which one is best for a foreigner to live?
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:51 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Please don't be coy...just a hint about the second story...is it about government corruption, perhaps?
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:35 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at another site with more info regarding Thailand. thaivisa.com
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?act=idx
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your answer,
I really would like to know the second storie. Is there a trap about life in Phuket?
Any advice about the different regions of Phuket. Which one is best for a foreigner to live?
I will answer a p.m.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by workingNOMAD
Why would anyone choose to live in a country where Govts get overturned is beyond me (let alone the dodgy security issues)
what dodgy security issues?
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by workingNOMAD
Why would anyone choose to live in a country where Govts get overturned is beyond me (let alone the dodgy security issues)
What exactly do you mean by dodgy security issues?
Old Aug 13th 2007, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

What exactly do you mean by dodgy security issues?
Working Nomad seems to have done a runner!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:52 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Suggest you take a few holidays in Phuket if you want to see what it's like and if you'll fit in. There are a lot of long term expats (a large percentage retirees) in the south of the island. You might want to take a look around that area but really depends what you want. As previous poster mentioned, you cannot really say how a place will be in 10 years. You also cannot guarantee that buying a property anywhere will be a good investment. Having said that, we are doing just that at the end of the year - retiring to Phuket.

Not sure what previous poster was referring to about second story, but every place in the world has its good and bad points - you just have to work out which place is the best for you. Good luck
Old Sep 1st 2007, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, this is slightly off-topic, but having lived in Canada for a number of years, it is interesting to observe where North Americans retire to. Pamama is becoming one of the more popular places you may wish to consider. It has a large (mainly North American) expat community, a retirement program with no property taxes for 20 years, no tax on overseas income, and all the conveniences of a North American/European society. The country also seems quite stable.

Check it out on the net, just suggesting this as an alternative.
Hi to everybody:

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johnh009
Hi, this is slightly off-topic, but having lived in Canada for a number of years, it is interesting to observe where North Americans retire to. Pamama is becoming one of the more popular places you may wish to consider. It has a large (mainly North American) expat community, a retirement program with no property taxes for 20 years, no tax on overseas income, and all the conveniences of a North American/European society. The country also seems quite stable.

Check it out on the net, just suggesting this as an alternative.
It's so far off topic makes me wonder whether you work for the Panamanian Govt.?
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 8:28 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I think it's kind of interesting though I've already committed to Phuket and think I'd rather learn Thai than Spanish.

Interesting to hear about taxes again though Don't think about it much in Asia. Savings in Singapore does not get taxed, certainly bringing money into Thailand does not get taxed, don't think there's a property tax in Thailand and certainly no estate duties. Tax - nasty word.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Well I think it's kind of interesting though I've already committed to Phuket and think I'd rather learn Thai than Spanish.

Interesting to hear about taxes again though Don't think about it much in Asia. Savings in Singapore does not get taxed, certainly bringing money into Thailand does not get taxed, don't think there's a property tax in Thailand and certainly no estate duties. Tax - nasty word.
You can only hope that "Tax" doesn't get "in" again
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:37 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wellington,
You can only hope that "Tax" doesn't get "in" again
Doubt that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.