Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for family hotel in Phuket

Recommendations for family hotel in Phuket

Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for family hotel in Phuket

Originally Posted by Gemma setter
Stayed there ten years ago, if you like Germans putting towels or plimsoles on the chairs before 6 each morning it's O.K.
Also your short walk is short on the map, but there is a steep hill between Kata and Kata Noi, so yqou need plenty of breath, which can be a problem in the heat. and kata Noi has nothing else there except the hotel so you are short on entertainment if the weather is inclement. Be sure to request a room in the newer blocks as the original ones in the older part are pretty much old fashioned!
Thanks for your input, but a lot can happen in 10 years. I have done a lot of research, spoken to plenty of people who have stayed there recently (within the last few months) and as I said it ticks all the boxes for us. The short walk into Kata, is apparently only 10 minutes (yes I know about the hill), but I've walked a lot further than that when we stayed in koh samui last year, so that should't be a problem. We have chosen to stay in a suite right on the beach, don't know if that is in the newer blocks or not, but that is what we have chosen. The reason we chose Kata Noi in the first place is that it is a lot quieter than the likes of Patong and Kata, which suits us.

Last edited by sassie; Jan 8th 2011 at 7:21 am.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:19 am

Gemma setter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sassie
Thanks for your input, but a lot can happen in 10 years. I have done a lot of research, spoken to plenty of people who have stayed there recently (within the last few months) and as I said it ticks all the boxes for us. The short walk into Kata, is apparently only 10 minutes (yes I know about the hill), but I've walked a lot further than that when we stayed in koh samui last year, so that should't be a proble. We have chosen to stay in a suite right on the beach.
Have a great holiday. I'm sure you will enjoy Kata.
Do not miss a visit to The Big Buddha.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, have a good holiday. I liked the Big Buddha too.

I took this pic a couple of years ago.....
Attached Thumbnails Recommendations for family hotel in Phuket-big-buddha.jpg  
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

There is one Big Buddah in Jinan,
It's masshoove

This on 1000 Buddah Mountain.

'vette

Last edited by uk_vette; Jan 9th 2011 at 2:50 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Double
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by uk_vette
There is one Big Buddah in Jinan,
It's masshoove

This on 1000 Buddah Mountain.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...untJinan47.jpg

'vette
We were talking about Phuket
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:46 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gemma setter
We were talking about Phuket
So you've got no time for buddha in your life, everyone could do with practising a bit of Dhamma from time to time
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:01 am
Just Joined

david_gr is an unknown quantity at this point

I've visited Phuket twice in the last year or so, stayed once at the Club Med but would rather recommend staying at a Thai hotel, more local flavor and certainly cheaper. One important thing to do there is hire a moped for getting around, if you can handle driving one! Last time I was there was in July and rented an automatic for 125 baht per day, around US $4. You can use it to travel all over Phuket and to different beaches during the day, and in the evening to go up to one of the restaurants overlooking Kata Noy bay. You'll need helmets but the renter can supply them.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ya... well we went a bit off topic there but never mind eh? Dhamma? Mmmmm

Motorcycles in Phuket... geez... you won't get me on one of them for love nor money. Seen too many accidents on Phuket and it's always the bikes that come off worse. Hire a car. I mean, the driving aint great either, but it's a little bit safer.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Ya... well we went a bit off topic there but never mind eh? Dhamma? Mmmmm

Motorcycles in Phuket... geez... you won't get me on one of them for love nor money. Seen too many accidents on Phuket and it's always the bikes that come off worse. Hire a car. I mean, the driving aint great either, but it's a little bit safer.
The big Buddha wasn't finished two years ago; we have been frequent visitors and all our grandchildren have their names on the bricks available to sign .
Even now it is not all complete, but is an amazing achievement and worth a diversion. The views are spectacular.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:27 am

EU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud of

Have a wonderful holiday andrewrh.

Stayed on Karon beach years ago and loveeed it. Can't recall Kamala beach but I am sure I would love it now instead of winter.

Btw. which is the best and most affordable place/beach in Phuket?

Last edited by EU_Girl; Jan 10th 2011 at 9:33 am.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
So you've got no time for buddha in your life, everyone could do with practising a bit of Dhamma from time to time
Definatly got no time for any Buddah, or any religious stuff, all just leads to trouble.

'vette
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

david_gr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean

Yup, baked bean is certainly right - if you can't ride a motorcycle, don't try to learn in Thailand.... but if you are a motorcycle rider, it's easy to ride one of these 110cc mopeds and good fun. Yes there are accidents and you must be very careful and vigilant... and most car drivers give way to motorcyclists - that's the law. But it's the guys who disregard the law who you have to beware of, and if you're involved in an accident and you're in the right, there's no compensation for the injuries you may sustain, and a ruined vacation.
I ride every day, so when on vacation it makes sense to rent a moped. There's so much to see around Phuket, it's a pretty place and you have an unrestricted view from the seat of a bike. The weather is great, ideal actually.
If you don't ride a bike, do rent a car and drive around the southern end of Phuket to Niharn Beach and west to Kata and Karon. And do the day trip by boat to Koh Phi-Phi. Have fun!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:07 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Definatly got no time for any Buddah, or any religious stuff, all just leads to trouble.

'vette
Disagree, if more Thais actually followed buddhism seriously rather than the token mumbo jumbo efforts most seem to do Thailand would IMO be a far better place. That goes for other countries too though.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by david_gr
Yup, baked bean is certainly right - if you can't ride a motorcycle, don't try to learn in Thailand.... but if you are a motorcycle rider, it's easy to ride one of these 110cc mopeds and good fun. Yes there are accidents and you must be very careful and vigilant... and most car drivers give way to motorcyclists - that's the law. But it's the guys who disregard the law who you have to beware of, and if you're involved in an accident and you're in the right, there's no compensation for the injuries you may sustain, and a ruined vacation.
I ride every day, so when on vacation it makes sense to rent a moped. There's so much to see around Phuket, it's a pretty place and you have an unrestricted view from the seat of a bike. The weather is great, ideal actually.
If you don't ride a bike, do rent a car and drive around the southern end of Phuket to Niharn Beach and west to Kata and Karon. And do the day trip by boat to Koh Phi-Phi. Have fun!
Phuket, no problems, it's all concrete, just go slow and you'll be fine. Remember the hills in Koh Phangan years ago when there were no roads, now that was scary on a moped. Especially after a few as well !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.