Question about divorce

Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:32 am
Just Joined

scorpio1946 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about divorce

my wife and i went to the amphor where we originally registered marriage in thailand(never registered in uk) to,on agreement to divorce.we were told we require paper from uk embassy? yet on various websites it says nothing about this....can anyone help.the only thing it said was about getting the affirmation that i was legally free to marry which was obtained before we registered.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:47 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: scorpio1946

Hi there and welcome to the forum. The Welcome Inn is just for introductions only so, as your query is quite specific to Thailand, I'm going to shift it over to that section of the forum. Someone in there should be able to assist you, I would think.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:05 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about divorce

This is from Siam Legal on their website :

Divorcing couples need to personally appear before the local register (amphur, amphoe or khet) for the procedure. They may not be represented by a family member, lawyer, counsel or solicitor. Personal appearance is necessary because the parties are required to answer questions as regards their decision to sever the marriage. The officer must ascertain that the parties’ decision to divorce was reached voluntarily and without duress.

Traditionally, couples were required to divorce at the same amphur where they registered their marriage but lately, couples had been permitted to get the uncontested divorce in an amphur different from where the marriage is registered. The amphur may require the submission of more documents before the divorce is processed.

The documents required for an uncontested divorce in Thailand are as follows:
If divorcing at the same amphur where you registered your marriage:

Thai
Marriage Certificate
Thai National ID
House Registration Certificate (Ta bien ban)
Foreigner
Marriage Certificate
Passport
If divorcing at an amphur different from where your marriage is registered:

Thai
Marriage certificate
Thai National ID
Home Registration Certificate (Ta bien ban)
Foreigner
Marriage certificate
Passport
Legalized copy of the passport

The amphur issues a divorce certificate in Thai once the divorce is granted. Foreigners may need to have the decree translated to English and legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand so that the divorce may be reported and the decree be registered with their Embassy or consulate in Bangkok.

On the other hand, Thais need to report their divorce in the amphur where their birth is registered. Additionally, Thai women divorcees need to revert back to the use of their maiden name. Their National ID and passport must be amended to reflect the maiden name again.

What exactly did they want from the embassy ?

I had always thought as you did that nothing else was needed . Is it still 150 Baht to divorce ?