Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Quality of life in Thailand on 80,000.00 Baht a year

Quality of life in Thailand on 80,000.00 Baht a year

Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:30 am
Just Joined

lastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nice
Default Re: Quality of life in Thailand on 80,000.00 Baht a year

Originally Posted by GeoffSimmons
Bangkok is getting easier to live for expats, but it's still tough getting around the concrete quagmire. The culture gap is enormous, and seems to get bigger the more you learn about it! A lot depends on you. Life is 100 times better if you learn the language, but it's enormously challenging and takes years, and motivation can flag due to limited things to read. May I be brutally honest? Most single female expats here soon get fed up with seeing all the male expats dating the very enthusiastic local girls, and move on elsewhere. Also my female expat friends complain a lot about the hassle they get from hawkers and touts on the street which can get tiresome. But it's an individual thing. You may love it here! Places with active expat communities are Bangkok and Chieng Mai. Don't consider the perverts' paradises of Pattaya and Phuket! Hope this is useful. It's based on conversations with many male and female expats here over the years.
Are these enthusiastic local girls mostly bar girl types, regular girls, or more educated women? What is the attitude among upperclass Thais wrt to interracial marriages?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:14 am
Just Joined

GeoffSimmons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lastresort
Are these enthusiastic local girls mostly bar girl types, regular girls, or more educated women? What is the attitude among upperclass Thais wrt to interracial marriages?
There's a spectrum. Many upper class families have western in-laws who met at college in the west or similar. In about 80% of the cases the westerner is the husband, 20% the wife. Thai society treats these marriages well. There are many young girls who hang around classy bars in Bangkok hotels where western men frequent, hoping for Mr Right, or maybe just fun, or both. Co-workers are very likely to flirt with the western men, and a lot of marriages happen like that, especially secretary and boss. Of course there are thousands of bars and restaurants in town where girls are on the menu for about 2000 baht, and not many western businessmen avoid some such experience while here, many becoming addicts. Finally, there are of course many westerner tourists who marry bar girls from Pattaya. Usually these guys are 40+ years, recently diverced and work in manual jobs or drive taxis back home. These marriages follow a pattern where the man takes the girl back to the west, and I'd say he gets fleeced and ditched in 30-50% of the cases, while the girl finds a young replacement. But there are some who turn out well. Pattaya girls are all from poor villages in NE Thailand, and most are receiving regular maintenance money from two or three westerners, each of whom visits three times a year and thinks she is his wife. How they juggle their calendars so the men never meet I can't imagine. All jolly good good fun and a source of endless amusement to the Thais!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

KhunShay is an unknown quantity at this point

These marriages follow a pattern where the man takes the girl back to the west, and I'd say he gets fleeced and ditched in 30-50% of the cases, while the girl finds a young replacement. But there are some who turn out well. Pattaya girls are all from poor villages in NE Thailand, and most are receiving regular maintenance money from two or three westerners, each of whom visits three times a year and thinks she is his wife. How they juggle their calendars so the men never meet I can't imagine. All jolly good good fun and a source of endless amusement to the Thais!
Wow, love your attitude! Despite knowing all these things, you still find joy in it... I'm guessing that you were never a victim of these Thai girls, because i didn't detect a bitter tone in your remarks. Although I might be wrong and you really good at taking disappointments...
By the way, are you currently living in Pattaya?
Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

GeoffSimmons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KhunShay
Wow, love your attitude! Despite knowing all these things, you still find joy in it... I'm guessing that you were never a victim of these Thai girls, because i didn't detect a bitter tone in your remarks. Although I might be wrong and you really good at taking disappointments...
By the way, are you currently living in Pattaya?
Nah. Haven't been there for years. Why? Do you live there? Anyway, do you think my analysis is correct?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 3:12 am
Just Joined

KhunShay is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah. Haven't been there for years. Why? Do you live there? Anyway, do you think my analysis is correct?
I live in Bkk, but the reputation of bkk and pattaya club/bar girls is pretty well known to all locals.

So you're not in Thailand anymore?
Old Oct 30th 2010, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

davidwilsoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alexor
If you mean 16,000 baht (around 400 quid) per week then you will have a very nice lifestyle.

Is that what your job in Phuket will pay?
Got it all wrong with the exchange rate, it will be 18,000.00 Baht per week, rising every year in line with UK Rpi index linked.

No job really. Investment return and capital depreciation on monies based in the UK. Just spending what i have until its all gone, cannot take it with you.

Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:42 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=GeoffSimmons;8870755]
Originally Posted by sign
What sort of life would a 30 something have in Thailand taking home say 1600.00 BAHT aweek after tax.

I'm retired and live in Bangkok. Been here 30 years. If I go out drinking and eating for an evening, I invariably spend at least 1000, probably 2000 or more. That's on food and drink, and being very conservative to the point that people think I'm a cheap Charlie. Other costs are taxis, an occasional drink for friends or for a girl. If I were to be tempted to go off with a lady, which often happened when I was your age, but I can't afford now, then it would add up to at least 5000 Baht. I pay about 12000 a month to be a member of a decent sports club, which I could not get by without. The cheapest flats are about 6000 baht a month. If you want to live a good life in Thailand, and importantly, be respected by other expats, you should be thinking of an absolute minimum of about 2000 a day expenses, 10000 a month rent, and a club on top. That's over 100,000 baht a month. Even then you will find that lots of other things happen. Funerals weddings. You will be expected to contribute. And then your health insurance and some spare to pay your way out of inevitable trouble. Do you need a car? By teh way you will need enormous resolve not to get involved with the ladies, which will drain you faster than you can possibly imagine.
I disagree with this a bit. I think it depends where you live quite a lot. I'm biased because I live there but I would say consider living in the suburbs rather that in the city if you're going to BKK.

I live in Nonthaburi which is on the outskirts of Bangkok ( about 200 Baht in a taxi to the centre of town ) and it is great. We have a perfectly nice two bedroom house in a nice clean village with a swimming pool and it is only 5000 Baht a month.

That won't get you anything in the city. Anything decent in BKK is going to cost you a lot and you have to think about whether it is worth it. IMO there are only two reasons to go into BKK and that is booze and women. They can both be dangerous.

Anything else you can do anywhere else. Even out where we live there are international food restaurants and good thai restaurants and nightclubs if that is your thing. Things are a lot cheaper too and the quality of life is much better. i.e. you're in a house on the ground , not a box in the air and there are trees and fields around and the pollution isn't that bad. There's only so many times you can go to Siam Paragon and the stuff in places like that is no different to Central on Rattana Thibet or Cheang Wattana.

You will also find that out in the burbs you get less transient foreigners and more stayers. People with families and jobs. Not just barflies. It's friendlier and there is less bullshit. Thai people don't see you as just another baht either.

Just some thoughts but that is my opinion. Like I said I'm biased because I live here.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:07 am
Just Joined

3.14 is an unknown quantity at this point

18k a week is chicken feed. Of course you can live on it just as people in the UK can live on £60 dole money each week but it is existence, not living.

You need up front cash to buy a vehicle and then to run it and eventually replace it. I don't mean a bike either but a car or truck. Some will say you don't need one but they are the ones who cannot afford one !

Decent place in Bangkok is difficult to find and more expensive than you think. Renting only sensible if very cheap or you are staying only a limited time, otherwise lock in no rent costs and buy a condo in your name. You cannot own land.

If you are after nightlife and girls and a party then 18k is more akin to a night than a week. Boozing at mom and pop shops in the dust on a concrete bench with other cheap charlies trying to justify it when in reality it is all you can afford is a hell of a way to eke out one's life.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:11 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3.14
18k a week is chicken feed. Of course you can live on it just as people in the UK can live on £60 dole money each week but it is existence, not living.

You need up front cash to buy a vehicle and then to run it and eventually replace it. I don't mean a bike either but a car or truck. Some will say you don't need one but they are the ones who cannot afford one !

Decent place in Bangkok is difficult to find and more expensive than you think. Renting only sensible if very cheap or you are staying only a limited time, otherwise lock in no rent costs and buy a condo in your name. You cannot own land.

If you are after nightlife and girls and a party then 18k is more akin to a night than a week. Boozing at mom and pop shops in the dust on a concrete bench with other cheap charlies trying to justify it when in reality it is all you can afford is a hell of a way to eke out one's life.

Whenever people say things like this I always want to know what it is they would be doing on a night out to spend 18K. So tell us. Of course if you are simply talking about hanging out in go-go bars and paying for prostitutes to spend time with you and sleep with you then that explains it.

To the OP. 18k is nearly 400 pounds. Ask yourself if you would spend that much on a night out in the UK.

I think about 2-4k should be enough for a good night out in BKK depending on where you are going and what you are doing and how late you are doing it.

To put this into perspective I have just spent a week in Cambodia with my wife and two children where we spent about 20k over the week. That's with good accommadation, foreign food, transport, visas etc.

I'm sure you could spend 18k in a one night in BKK very easily but I think you would be wasting your money if you did. Short term gain. Permanent loss.

What is it they say about fools and their money. Something to do with easily parted.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:35 am
Just Joined

3.14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Whenever people say things like this I always want to know what it is they would be doing on a night out to spend 18K. So tell us. Of course if you are simply talking about hanging out in go-go bars and paying for prostitutes to spend time with you and sleep with you then that explains it.

To the OP. 18k is nearly 400 pounds. Ask yourself if you would spend that much on a night out in the UK.

I think about 2-4k should be enough for a good night out in BKK depending on where you are going and what you are doing and how late you are doing it.

To put this into perspective I have just spent a week in Cambodia with my wife and two children where we spent about 20k over the week. That's with good accommadation, foreign food, transport, visas etc.

I'm sure you could spend 18k in a one night in BKK very easily but I think you would be wasting your money if you did. Short term gain. Permanent loss.

What is it they say about fools and their money. Something to do with easily parted.
Drop in a decent place for a drink and you'll be paying way more than 7/11, perhaps in the Bt200 range, more for wine or an imported scotch for instance. Much decent entertainment is connected with the pricier places and some connected to upmarket hotels where the prices are higher than these. Bt300 for a beer in a hotel bar is not uncommon. Add in some entrance fees and the price inflates as well.

Move away from basic food and the price can rise as well. It doesn't have to be luxurious to add a fair bit to your suggested bill. You can drop a thousand or two easily or you can get soup noodles on the street for Bt30.

I do take your point and I think spending 18k in one night would usually either be covering many people or quite serious indulgence. However, living on 18k a week would mean that you were almost always counting the pennies so to speak. Even shopping for food would inevitably involve quite some compromise.

You cannot compare Cambodia with living a decent life in Bangkok.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by 3.14
Drop in a decent place for a drink and you'll be paying way more than 7/11, perhaps in the Bt200 range, more for wine or an imported scotch for instance. Much decent entertainment is connected with the pricier places and some connected to upmarket hotels where the prices are higher than these. Bt300 for a beer in a hotel bar is not uncommon. Add in some entrance fees and the price inflates as well.

Move away from basic food and the price can rise as well. It doesn't have to be luxurious to add a fair bit to your suggested bill. You can drop a thousand or two easily or you can get soup noodles on the street for Bt30.

I do take your point and I think spending 18k in one night would usually either be covering many people or quite serious indulgence. However, living on 18k a week would mean that you were almost always counting the pennies so to speak. Even shopping for food would inevitably involve quite some compromise.

You cannot compare Cambodia with living a decent life in Bangkok.
I think it depends on what you are used to and what you call a decent place. You mention paying 200-300 baht for a beer and that's all very well and good but are you really going to be going to a place like that all the time. To the OP I would say that he should try to live in a fairly similar way to how he lived back in the UK. When I lived in London ( which is an expensive city ) I wasn't going out every night to places where I'm going to be paying 4-6 pounds for a beer. Occasionally yes but you don't really do that every night so why would you do that here.
Of course if you go somewhere you will be paying more than 7-11 but to the OP I would say use your head. There are plenty of nice beer gardens around. Holland Beer Garden on Rama 2 or Ratchapreuk road is a good example. They brew all their own beer. It tastes good and it is a very reasonable 120 baht for half a litre. I don't think I'm a cheap charlie particulary but at the same time why would I waste my money. It's commonn sense in IMO.
As for food. Do you go out every night to a good restaurant ? We cook at home. My wife is an excellent cook. It tastes better. I get what I want. Generally I think a " good " reastaurant is hard to come by and the food is overated.
I think that the sort of places you are talking about are generally in the central area, either SKMV or Silom and you have to remember that BKK is a big city. Why would you be going out all the time to places where foreigners go. Seems a bit strange to me.
So many people come here and then seem to think that they are living the dream in many ways. To the OP again I would say that to have a good life here doesn't have to involve being out in some hotel bar ( hotel bar ! , come on, it's not that great, it's a hotel ) every night, just do what ever you would do in the UK but in BKK and you will probably be a lot more settled and hopefully stay on the rails which a lot of people seem to fall off.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

koolkat is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought you meant 80,000 baht per month not year.

Im a 30 something too. I was earning about 80,000 per month after tax and my lifestyle was fine in Bkk. You are going to struggle with 80,000 baht per year!

It will take you a while to understand how to live cheaply. After being here a year I have learnt so many things on how to live cheaply from the thais.

Thais are really sticky when it comes to money so they do anything to live cheaply. That even means a whole family of 5 sleeping on the floor of a studio flat and sharing a vespa together.

I thought cooking at home would work out cheaper but it does not when you are on your own, or even a girlfriend. It can be cheaper, but after all the hassle and money on the electricity, cooking sauces, drinks time etc and etc its better just getting used to eating out cheaply for 30 to 40 baht a pop.

Last edited by koolkat; Nov 16th 2010 at 5:51 am.