Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Quality of life in Thailand on 80,000.00 Baht a year

Quality of life in Thailand on 80,000.00 Baht a year

Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quality of life in Thailand on 80,000.00 Baht a year

What sort of life would a 30 something have in Thailand taking home say 1600.00 BAHT aweek after tax.No kids, no wife, no smoke, no gamble, drink say go out four nights, maybe a few bottles of wine the other nights, eat out every night and day maybe. Renting a two bedroom furnished house. Maybe need a car to get to and from work, living in Phucket. Affordable or not, need more or not. Thats about £400 aweek in Blighty, you have a good life here, same in Thailand.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:47 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality of life in Thailand on 80,000.00 Baht a year

The economc situation you describe would allow you to achieve a magnificent lifestyle. You would need to take care of exchange rate differences if your money is in Sterling but that is not too much of a problem.

English lessons are quite cheap in Thailand too.

Good luck!!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Alexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sign
What sort of life would a 30 something have in Thailand taking home say 1600.00 BAHT aweek after tax.
If you mean 16,000 baht (around 400 quid) per week then you will have a very nice lifestyle.

Is that what your job in Phuket will pay?
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexor
If you mean 16,000 baht (around 400 quid) per week then you will have a very nice lifestyle.

Is that what your job in Phuket will pay?

Got it all wrong with the exchange rate, it will be 18,000.00 Baht per week, rising every year in line with UK Rpi index linked.

No job really. Investment return and capital depreciation on monies based in the UK. Just spending what i have until its all gone, cannot take it with you.

So in Phuket it out every day and night, drink every night out and about, rent a two bedroom fully furnished place, pay all bills etc, use public transport i reckon. Fill my time fishing, watersports, diving etc. Maybe even take on a girl friend, nothing serious though. Can i stretch to all that for the next 20 years?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

Got it all wrong with the exchange rate, it will be 18,000.00 Baht per week, rising every year in line with UK Rpi index linked.

No job really. Investment return and capital depreciation on monies based in the UK. Just spending what i have until its all gone, cannot take it with you.

So in Phuket it out every day and night, drink every night out and about, rent a two bedroom fully furnished place, pay all bills etc, use public transport i reckon. Fill my time fishing, watersports, diving etc. Maybe even take on a girl friend, nothing serious though. Can i stretch to all that for the next 20 years?
Head the warnings of others (check out older threads) and don't be fooled into giving large sums away to a pretty girl.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:47 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother with the negative attitudes - just think of the marvelous time there for the next 20. Actually the girls there are dead cert genuine!!

Good luck, I'm jealous!!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:36 am
Just Joined

ArnoldBlack is an unknown quantity at this point

without a steady gf 16k baht a week is plenty.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:04 am
Just Joined

GraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to all

....but with a "steady" girlfriend - all bets are off
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:55 am
Just Joined

buspilot is an unknown quantity at this point

For comparison purposes, Thai immigration will require an income of approx. 45,000 baht per month for a family visa, or 85,000 per month for a retirement visa.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

GeoffSimmons is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=sign;8830264]What sort of life would a 30 something have in Thailand taking home say 1600.00 BAHT aweek after tax.

I'm retired and live in Bangkok. Been here 30 years. If I go out drinking and eating for an evening, I invariably spend at least 1000, probably 2000 or more. That's on food and drink, and being very conservative to the point that people think I'm a cheap Charlie. Other costs are taxis, an occasional drink for friends or for a girl. If I were to be tempted to go off with a lady, which often happened when I was your age, but I can't afford now, then it would add up to at least 5000 Baht. I pay about 12000 a month to be a member of a decent sports club, which I could not get by without. The cheapest flats are about 6000 baht a month. If you want to live a good life in Thailand, and importantly, be respected by other expats, you should be thinking of an absolute minimum of about 2000 a day expenses, 10000 a month rent, and a club on top. That's over 100,000 baht a month. Even then you will find that lots of other things happen. Funerals weddings. You will be expected to contribute. And then your health insurance and some spare to pay your way out of inevitable trouble. Do you need a car? By teh way you will need enormous resolve not to get involved with the ladies, which will drain you faster than you can possibly imagine.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andrewrh
Head the warnings of others (check out older threads) and don't be fooled into giving large sums away to a pretty girl.
That's marriage for some of us.

Dude, if you're going to blow your dosh on sowing your seeds you may not need to last 20 years.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
That's marriage for some of us.

Dude, if you're going to blow your dosh on sowing your seeds you may not need to last 20 years.
mate, go for it. At least you can say, I've spend all my money on women, booze and cars... the rest I wasted.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

72,000 baht a month - take 12k off for studio apartment rent and that leaves 2000 baht a day, which is just enough to have great fun with the gals as well as eat and drink. If you are going to stay for ever I would recommend buying a condo because rent will increase over time and take an ever large chunk of money out of your income
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

lastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nice

Originally Posted by britishbull
72,000 baht a month - take 12k off for studio apartment rent and that leaves 2000 baht a day, which is just enough to have great fun with the gals as well as eat and drink. If you are going to stay for ever I would recommend buying a condo because rent will increase over time and take an ever large chunk of money out of your income
How's the expat community there? Is it a nice place for a single, western woman? I assume the best city would be Bangkok. Any other decent cities?

BB, where do you live btw. You seem very informative.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:22 am
Just Joined

GeoffSimmons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lastresort
How's the expat community there? Is it a nice place for a single, western woman? I assume the best city would be Bangkok. Any other decent cities?

BB, where do you live btw. You seem very informative.
Bangkok is getting easier to live for expats, but it's still tough getting around the concrete quagmire. The culture gap is enormous, and seems to get bigger the more you learn about it! A lot depends on you. Life is 100 times better if you learn the language, but it's enormously challenging and takes years, and motivation can flag due to limited things to read. May I be brutally honest? Most single female expats here soon get fed up with seeing all the male expats dating the very enthusiastic local girls, and move on elsewhere. Also my female expat friends complain a lot about the hassle they get from hawkers and touts on the street which can get tiresome. But it's an individual thing. You may love it here! Places with active expat communities are Bangkok and Chieng Mai. Don't consider the perverts' paradises of Pattaya and Phuket! Hope this is useful. It's based on conversations with many male and female expats here over the years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.