Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

PGCE (without QTS) in Thai International Schools

PGCE (without QTS) in Thai International Schools

Old Aug 6th 2015, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Nori is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PGCE (without QTS) in Thai International Schools

I am currently working in KSA (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) teaching English in an University Preparatory Year Program. I have undergraduate degrees in English, History and in Business, as well as the Cambridge CELTA and experience teaching English as part of an IGCSE curriculum in a private school.

I am considering completing the PGCE (online) no QTS through the University of Sunderland in the UK.

My question is: what are my chances of landing a "higher paying" job teaching job in an international school in Thailand without the QTS and post certificate experience in the UK?

Without the QTS and post certificate experience am I wasting my time and money?

Your advice, thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 12:34 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PGCE (without QTS) in Thai International Schools

I would say take the time and do the QTS in the UK. That way you will be sure of getting a good job. There's no point moving to Thailand to find that you have wasted your time.

Funnily enough, I left Thailand to work in Saudi Arabia!
Old Aug 12th 2015, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Nori is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I would say take the time and do the QTS in the UK. That way you will be sure of getting a good job. There's no point moving to Thailand to find that you have wasted your time.

Funnily enough, I left Thailand to work in Saudi Arabia!
Thanks for your advice. The money is great in Saudi Arabia but it is difficult to make a life here. Is the QTS really required for the international schools.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 10:28 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a good job, then yes it is. A fully qualified teacher in a 'real' international school in Thailand should be expecting 150K plus benefits. The tax is less than the UK too.

Regarding Saudi, I actually prefer it here in many ways, but I have my family around me, a good job, and I spent far too long in Thailand. try to limit my time there these days to once every two years for a holiday.