Patong

Old Feb 1st 2015, 6:34 am
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Patong

I'm looking at visiting Phuket later on in the year with family

Patong looks the most lively place to stay in the area.

Can anyone recommend a good safe quiet hotel fairly close to the main town but not so close that its a mad house.

Could you also let me know about things I should do and places to visit when when I'm there.

Old Feb 3rd 2015, 9:16 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Patong

If you're going with your family I'd give Patong a miss unless you want to face some awkward questions. If you've got very young children it's probably alright, but a bit older and it's going to get awkward.

How do you explain mass prostitution, ladyboys etc to your kids. Also, all the touts can be a real pain in the ass.

Try staying somewhere else on the island and visiting Patong for a night out.

Better still, don't go. Go to Krabbi instead. It's much more family orientated and not geared up more sex tourism.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 10:19 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto to what Nonthaburi said (and I used to live in Phuket).

What are you looking for as a holiday? Beaches and sunshine? If so, pick your times carefully. Phuket and Krabi will be quite monsoony from about June to October. But it depends what you want of course.

Some folks like Koh Samui on the other side. I've never been there.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

oliver06700 is an unknown quantity at this point

Patong beach is not really the best city to do in family in Phuket, you shoul go to Rawai or the other side of the city
Old Oct 15th 2015, 11:51 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Oliver.

Yes Rawai is a good place, or at least it used to be...I haven't been there for several years.

Lumpommer started this topic back in February. I wonder if he's been. Any comments re Phuket, Lumpommer?
Old Oct 16th 2015, 5:26 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that is worth adding is to have a look on airbnb. We've used them quite a lot in Thailand over the past few years and I've always found them much better value than a hotel. Why pay 2000 for a nice room in a hotel when you can stay in an apartment for the same price.

I just did a quick search and for example:
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/3416107?s=Ja26g8ne

£43 or about 2000 baht, looks very nice.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 10:54 pm

It depends what you want I suppose. Some of the comments on that page are quite telling. Things not working hahaha.....Phuket LOL.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean
It depends what you want I suppose. Some of the comments on that page are quite telling. Things not working hahaha.....Phuket LOL.
so true!
Old Nov 1st 2015, 9:26 pm
Banned

BloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond repute

As previously mentioned, it is better off to head to Krabbi. Having lived there for quite a bit, I'd say that's a better pick than Patong. Patong seems to be the hangout of prostitutes. If you have kids, that can be really hard to roam around and not be bothered with the sex tourism that they have going on in there.

When using airbnb, just make sure to read up on it thoroughly before deciding if that suits you best or if going to a traditional hotel is better for you. I personally have had a hit and miss relationship with airbnb, so take it for what it is.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 10:21 pm

Are you still living there? I've never stayed there but drove through umpteen times. Looks like a nice little airport not too far out of town.