New Nurse in Thailand

Old Oct 10th 2016, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Carmen11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New Nurse in Thailand

Hello everyone, I am new here.
I am looking for some information, I am a third year Italian student nurse living in Scotland. I will be a qualified nurse at the end of this year and I would love to move in Thailand. I was planning to move in Chiang Mai however I have no idea if it will be a possible thing to work as a nurse without knowing Thai.
Anyone has any good advice? I would also consider volunteering if finding a job would be too difficult. Also, I am vegan- any one vegan here with some good advises regarding best areas to live, eat etc?

Thank you in advance, very excited to know more.

Carmen
Old Oct 10th 2016, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

taiwan_girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Nurse in Thailand

Sorry to say, but I think it would be pretty tough. To work, you would need a work permit. And I am not sure that a company/hospital would go through the hassle to get you a work permit when they could hire a local nurse for (probably) less salary and ease.

The fact that you dont know Thai is also working against you. You would have to prove that you have skills above and beyond what a Thai national nurse could provide. As far as I know, there is not a nursing shortage in Thailand, so there are plenty of locals to recruit from.

Regarding vegan - I cannot offer much on that, but there are a lot of vegetarians in Thailand. It is very easy to live a vegetarian lifestyle, but I am not familiar with exactly what is vegan.

Good luck!!
Old Oct 10th 2016, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Carmen11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by taiwan_girl
Sorry to say, but I think it would be pretty tough. To work, you would need a work permit. And I am not sure that a company/hospital would go through the hassle to get you a work permit when they could hire a local nurse for (probably) less salary and ease.

The fact that you dont know Thai is also working against you. You would have to prove that you have skills above and beyond what a Thai national nurse could provide. As far as I know, there is not a nursing shortage in Thailand, so there are plenty of locals to recruit from.

Regarding vegan - I cannot offer much on that, but there are a lot of vegetarians in Thailand. It is very easy to live a vegetarian lifestyle, but I am not familiar with exactly what is vegan.

Good luck!!
Thank you for you reply! I was pretty sure of everything you said 😞 I think the only possible thing could be experience Thailand as a volunteer.

Thank you again
Old Oct 11th 2016, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carmen11
Thank you for you reply! I was pretty sure of everything you said 😞 I think the only possible thing could be experience Thailand as a volunteer.

Thank you again
I would suggest if you wish to experience that part of the world Laos might be a better choice than Thailand, simply a calmer environment and probably a bit safer.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

When you are qualified, VSO (Voluntary Service Overseas) might be ano option - but perhaps not in Thailand. Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia.

Not sure how easy it is to live as a Vegan in S.E.Asia.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 8:56 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine volunteers (almost full time I think) for Touch A Life organization in Cambodia. You can take a look at their website here:
Touch-A-Life Foundation – Helping the Homeless Kids

If you were interested in doing this and wanted more "hands on" information, drop me a PM on here and I'll put you in touch with him. I think he used to post on BE but he's busy out in the real world these days.

Oops.... you will need to do one more post on here to be able to access the BE PM system, so if you'd like to reply to this......

Last edited by bakedbean; Oct 11th 2016 at 8:57 am. Reason: about the 3 posts