Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Moving to thailand...Pattaya, Phuket or Chiang Mai????

Moving to thailand...Pattaya, Phuket or Chiang Mai????

Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

69thelememt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to thailand...Pattaya, Phuket or Chiang Mai????

Right from the beginning!!!

I'm looking at moving to Thailand, just me for around 6 months initially to either Pattaya, Phuket or Chiang Mai (other suggestions welcome)

I'm solely make money online (couple of online stores) so i would need to sneekily carry on doing that while in Thailand.

to do this i would require accomodation that would allow me to have a fast internet connection via a phone line and because i hear the internet is not too realiable a back up wifi area and may even then possible look to get a 4G roaming connection.

What I'm looking for is a good/ cheap place for me to stay, as i'm there for quite along time i dont really wont just a bed, desk and toilet, i'd need a good enough place for someone to want to stay. I've been looking at ok places for around 20,000 bhat a months but have been reading on forum of people paying half this or less in desirable areas.

Area wise:

*I cant be too rural as i need the internet connection to be realiable and accessable

*I'm a young man (31 year old) so i want to be with traveling distance of the nightlife (girls) to be able to visit once or twice a week

*Far enough out of town to be cheap accomodation but close enough in to easily get there

My budget is around 50000 bhat to spend each month for the TOTAL cost of living
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to thailand...Pattaya, Phuket or Chiang Mai????

I envy you.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

HannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant future

Chiang Mai is a great city, bustling nightlife bars and markets but there is always the option to go off into the countryside and hills if you want. Phuket is a beautiful Island with stunning beaches, but if you're after something that has more of a 'city like feel' I would say Chiang Mai or Pattaya, but I myself, haven't been to Pattaya and do not know exactly what it is like. What I do know of Pattaya is its growing nightlife and with girls in particular, which you should be able to do once or twice a week as you wish. Overall Pattaya may be the best destination for you.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 69thelememt
Right from the beginning!!!

I'm looking at moving to Thailand, just me for around 6 months initially to either Pattaya, Phuket or Chiang Mai (other suggestions welcome)

I'm solely make money online (couple of online stores) so i would need to sneekily carry on doing that while in Thailand.

to do this i would require accomodation that would allow me to have a fast internet connection via a phone line and because i hear the internet is not too realiable a back up wifi area and may even then possible look to get a 4G roaming connection.

What I'm looking for is a good/ cheap place for me to stay, as i'm there for quite along time i dont really wont just a bed, desk and toilet, i'd need a good enough place for someone to want to stay. I've been looking at ok places for around 20,000 bhat a months but have been reading on forum of people paying half this or less in desirable areas.

Area wise:

*I cant be too rural as i need the internet connection to be realiable and accessable

*I'm a young man (31 year old) so i want to be with traveling distance of the nightlife (girls) to be able to visit once or twice a week

*Far enough out of town to be cheap accomodation but close enough in to easily get there

My budget is around 50000 bhat to spend each month for the TOTAL cost of living
Sounds like a lovely move, any reason why?
I suppose if your 'job' is online business, then you'll be joining many others who move their office to the beach, which is one thing I would like to do too. I've been working in Bangkok for over 5 years.

Visas - You don't need a visa before entering the Kingdom of Thailand. However, as a Brit, you will only get 30 days at immigration.
Apply for a tourist visa before you leave the UK and you will get 60 days. Then you can extend that by another 30 days after you've been there a few weeks. Consider where you can do this before you decide where to stay!
After that, you have to get out of the country or do a visa run across the boarder.

4G? Ha! 3G in Thailand. I pay for 12MB and usually get 3MB on average.
I'm sure it will be plenty for your needs.

Girls are everywhere in Thailand, literally, so you don't need to be anywhere in particular. You will be smiling for weeks!

I would advise you to look for serviced apartments, not the usual tourist stuff, but the more local places in good condition, which have facilities such as laundry and internet. Easily, outside of Bangkok you can choose a good place from 5000 upwards, max 10k if you're fussy. Google for 'apartments in....(town name)'. Note that Condos are individually owned, whereas apartments have one owner for the whole building and many will rent on 6 monthly, monthly, or even weekly contracts.

My wife and son live with me here, and excluding our rent, we don't spend much above 35k a month in BKK.

PS - What's your online business about, if you don't mind me to ask?

Best regards
MP
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:42 am
Banned

PennyA will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by discobay
I envy you.
You can do it too!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:12 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered Udon Thani , it's a bit of a strange suggestion at first but it could be quite suited to you . It's a big city where you could get a decent internet connection . You could also get a good place to stay for a very good price . There are a lot of foreigners there and a fair few places to meet ladies ( regular or otherwise ) . It's also close to Laos so it makes trips to apply for a new visa at the Thai embassy in Laos fairly straightforward . Nok air do budget flights to BKK quite cheaply so the big city is only 45 minutes away . Only downside really is that it's nowhere near the beach !!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:24 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforu...ba50c6c735a905

just found this. 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms for 12k a month. Or just over £220 .
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforu...ba50c6c735a905

just found this. 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms for 12k a month. Or just over £220 .
or this : http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforu...nt-t29272.html

8k a month for a 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom .
Old Aug 9th 2013, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Have you considered Udon Thani , it's a bit of a strange suggestion at first but it could be quite suited to you . It's a big city where you could get a decent internet connection . You could also get a good place to stay for a very good price . There are a lot of foreigners there and a fair few places to meet ladies ( regular or otherwise ) . It's also close to Laos so it makes trips to apply for a new visa at the Thai embassy in Laos fairly straightforward . Nok air do budget flights to BKK quite cheaply so the big city is only 45 minutes away . Only downside really is that it's nowhere near the beach !!
He said 31 Not 71 ..... Udon Thani is boring for more than 2 nights so I don't know how anybody could live there

Bangkok - Best place to meet 'normal girls'
Pattaya - Best place to meet 'bad girls'
Chang mai - Lots of mountains
Phuket - Best place for beaches
Old Aug 9th 2013, 4:34 pm

he did say any other suggestions welcome and also :

1*I'm a young man (31 year old) so i want to be with traveling distance of the nightlife (girls) to be able to visit once or twice a week

2*Far enough out of town to be cheap accomodation but close enough in to easily get there.

Re 1 : plenty of nightlife there geared up to young people . The OP hasn't been specific about what exactly he wants .

Re 2 : He didn't want to be in the thick of it either.

Stopped in Udon many times on the way to and from Laos and it's not all old farts . I would also highly recommend Vientiene for a weekend away for some total debauchery ;D
Old Aug 18th 2013, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Panda7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Outskirts of Pattaya..Bangsaray....Nicks Resort which has lounge/bedroom a/c /kitchen walk to Bangsaray village easy route to Pattaya.9000 to 12000 baht per month include internet /satellite Beatiful grounds quiet /location safe.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panda7
Outskirts of Pattaya..Bangsaray....Nicks Resort which has lounge/bedroom a/c /kitchen walk to Bangsaray village easy route to Pattaya.9000 to 12000 baht per month include internet /satellite Beatiful grounds quiet /location safe.
Hi Panda,

Following your 'heads up' I searched for "Nicks Resort" and found great revues, but the prices quoted on Trip Advisor, are a long way 'North' of yours. The cheapest room at the resort that I could find runs at THB 20,000 per month.

Are you quoting the resorts prices, because I can't find a web address for the resort ?

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm really interested in staying there for a few weeks.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 4:26 am
Just Joined

Panda7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hino

I have sent you a pm....
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:13 am
Just Joined

brix13 is an unknown quantity at this point

consider Hua Hin. Not too crowded. Everything for foreigners available. Cheap housing. Great internet. Near Bangkok.