Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Thailand, any help appreciated!

Moving to Thailand, any help appreciated!

Old May 20th 2008, 10:57 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Thailand, any help appreciated!

No offence meant, Daddy, but you do hear some awful stories so it was worth a mention.

You take care and have a fabulous adventure.

xxx

(Maybe you could do us a blog? I left SE Asia 3 weeks ago after 6 years, and I'm missing it.)
Old May 21st 2008, 4:57 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Davidrimmy
Thank you Troy, you will never know how much your sopport and help means to me.Now the tears of missing you start. Love to Jenni and a big hug for Jay

Dad

PS No girl required to enjoy this place.
I am
Do hope you'll come back and post how you're getting on in Chiang Mai - I'm sure others that are considering doing the same would be very interested. Have a great time!
Old May 21st 2008, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Roger13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Troy, you will never know how much your sopport and help means to me.Now the tears of missing you start. Love to Jenni and a big hug for Jay

Dad

PS No girl required to enjoy this place.
I am
David
What Visa have you entered Thaland on?
If you intend getting a Visa for retirement
You should have applied for a Non Immigrant Visa in Uk before leaving
Do check this out on Thaivisa.com
Roger
Old May 22nd 2008, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Davidrimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Roger13
David
Roger
I have a one year visa and met loads of people with advise. It seems really complicated but I am competent (soon to be senile) so am not too worried.
It is very good of you guys to bother with this and be assured your effort is well received and I thank you all.

David
Old May 22nd 2008, 8:20 am
Just Joined

I have a one year visa and met loads of people with advise. It seems really complicated but I am competent (soon to be senile) so am not too worried.
It is very good of you guys to bother with this and be assured your effort is well received and I thank you all.

David
Hi David
You have obviously planned a bit more than the original post lead me to believe <My father has sold up and cut his ties in the UK. He is planning on getting a bus to Heathrow and hopping on a plane to Thailand with the view of living on his pension in Chang Mai. He has got a small bag packed and a mobile phone but that is about as far as his plans go,>
hahaha
Roger
Old May 22nd 2008, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Hi David
You have obviously planned a bit more than the original post lead me to believe <My father has sold up and cut his ties in the UK. He is planning on getting a bus to Heathrow and hopping on a plane to Thailand with the view of living on his pension in Chang Mai. He has got a small bag packed and a mobile phone but that is about as far as his plans go,>
hahaha
Roger
Did you check out the Chiang Mai Forum on Thaivisa.com?
I imagine it has details of meetings you may (or may not)
be interested in going to meet other already senile expats !!!
I am in Bangkok - so I have not checked that out !
Roger
Old May 22nd 2008, 8:49 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few of the lads up that way. A pretty friendly bunch. Usually have a few TV pissups organised. I like CM. My wife comes from there. Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:11 am
Account Closed

David
Roger
It's possible to convert from a tourist visa to the non immigrant O for retirement WITHIN Thailand. We did exactly that last year (on a visit). It's a bit of a fiddle as you need an address in Thailand (we borrowed one) and a bank account in Thailand (we received help/assistance from our property agent to get one opened without the required visa). We now live in Thailand permanently (or as permanently as you'll get ). Got the required info from Lopburi on ThaiVisa - you will no doubt have seen his many useful postings.

Our previous place of residence, Thai Embassy in Singapore, refused to do the Non-O visa for us as they did not consider us Permanent enough-lah.
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by katongkaren
It's possible to convert from a tourist visa to the non immigrant O for retirement WITHIN Thailand. We did exactly that last year (on a visit). It's a bit of a fiddle as you need an address in Thailand (we borrowed one) and a bank account in Thailand (we received help/assistance from our property agent to get one opened without the required visa). We now live in Thailand permanently (or as permanently as you'll get ). Got the required info from Lopburi on ThaiVisa - you will no doubt have seen his many useful postings.

Our previous place of residence, Thai Embassy in Singapore, refused to do the Non-O visa for us as they did not consider us Permanent enough-lah.
sorry didn't mean that we actually lived at the Embassy
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:08 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Alamak, have you been drinking too?

(How does one get out of the habit of saying, "blah blah, can or cannot ah?" I'm getting strange looks in Sydney.)
Old May 24th 2008, 7:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Seasider
Alamak, have you been drinking too?

(How does one get out of the habit of saying, "blah blah, can or cannot ah?" I'm getting strange looks in Sydney.)
Alamak - who is Alamak???

Nah, not drinking - too early in the day for me.

No, you do snap out of it eventually-lah. Trouble is you just pick up other new things associated with the country you're in - now we just keep saying "same-same" all the time and "mai bpen lai", "mai torng leep kaaaarrrr" and you probably won't know what the hell I'm talking about

But I guess you'll be picking up new phrases in Oz too, and you can puzzle us too! At least you don't have to learn a new language there Seasider!!
Old May 31st 2008, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Davidrimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to Thailand, any help appreciated!

Hi David
hahaha
Roger
Hello Roger,
If your Dad is interested in exchanging experiences or getting together, my email address is davidrimmy@live .com. I have been given the opportunity to have a really good. reasonable priced base here in Pattaya, for as long as I want. I will be able to get a bus at any time to anywhere in Asia. There is a spare room in the apartment. It is secure and the owner is an English businessman.
Chainge Mai is my first port of call so if he is there I will call on him as soon as I have contacted freinds there.
Not withstanding wish him good fortune for me.

Thank you

David
Old Jun 1st 2008, 8:36 pm
Banned

joggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nice

Is he going for short or long time?