Moving to Thailand

Old Dec 9th 2002, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

gavilan is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Moving to Thailand

Hi everyone,

I'll be moving to Bangkok soon and am pretty nervous (and excited!) about it. I've never been to Asia, or even a developing country before, so I have a lot to learn. I am particularly nervous about the real cost of living (I'll be making at least 10,000 baht monthly, but housing is covered -- will this be enough?), clothing (considering the heat and the fact that I am much larger than Thai women), and my lack of Thai language skills. I could really use some advice from someone currently living in Bangkok!

Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2002, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Coxy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
Can I suggest that you check your salary as 10,000 Baht only equates to 145.88 sterling for a month!!!

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi
Old Dec 10th 2002, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

gavilan is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy cost of living in Thailand

I know that it's not much, but I don't really know about the cost of living there. Are you currently in Thailand? Maybe you could give me a better idea....

The 10,000 baht monthly is a minimum guaranteed salary (it may be more, but probably won't be). The main thing is that my housing will be provided free of charge. Also, I'm not trying to get rich; I'm just trying to get by. Is it feasible to live in minimal comfort on 10,000 baht per month?

All information about the cost of living in Bangkok is welcomed. I've read that it is far more expensive than most western expats expect.

Thanks!
Old Dec 25th 2002, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to Thailand

Gav,
I really do not think this is nearly enough. I lived there 2 years ago and by memory, my electric bill was THB4000+ per month. I hope your phone and electric are all paid for as well. Phone calls are really expensive too.

It is very hard to communicate with Thai people, basically only one in 100 will speak a little (nit noy) english. Taxi driver forget about it. Some shop assistants will know a couple of words. If you are going somewhere, try to have it written down in Thai and hand it to the taxi driver. I know my signals - turn right,left, go straight - this usually got me to where I was going. But to tell them an address, you will get a blank look and they will try to tell you to get out of the taxi, because they don;t understand.

There are a few department stores there that cater for the larger sizes - Robinsons is one there are a few of them located around BKK.

Do you know where you are moving to - what area???

If you eat at the local restaurants, this is the cheapest way. Grocery shopping is not cheap either. BKK has become quite westernised in the last few years, there are restaurants from all different countries, but they cost a bit to eat at. We had a favourite restarant (local) called Suda, we would order about 4 - 5 dishes and about 4+ bottles of beer and it would come to around THB500-600, bargain. The food is delicious.

If you need any more info, feel free Good luck