Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Thailand with the family

Moving to Thailand with the family

Old Aug 5th 2016, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Ema333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Thailand with the family

We have already been expats for 5 years outside the UK but this time we have to do everything ourselves, my husband is not with the company anymore so it's our personal move and it's to Thailand this time. We have been on holiday in Phuket, Koh Samui, Bangkok but this time we want to live in Thailand for a year.
Question: which is the best place to live in Thailand for a family with little kids? We need a safe place close to an international school, quiet but also with shops, exercise classes and things to do etc.
Thanks everyone
Old Aug 27th 2016, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

karlis111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Thailand with the family

hi did you get any answers about this as i am the same i am looking to move next year and my son will be coming up 1 and i want to find best place ?
thanks x
Old Aug 28th 2016, 4:04 am
Just Joined

Hi! Unfortunately no replies at all 😕 Still researching.. Which places are you considering?
Old Aug 28th 2016, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ema333
Hi! Unfortunately no replies at all 😕 Still researching.. Which places are you considering?

Just out side Phuket or Chiang Mai ? What are you thinking it's so hard to get information about moving with family x
Old Aug 30th 2016, 12:13 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the teakdoor.com forum? They have members who can probably help you.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Have you tried the teakdoor.com forum? They have members who can probably help you.
Not heard of it il have a look thanks x
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Thank you! Will try that
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karlis111

Just out side Phuket or Chiang Mai ? What are you thinking it's so hard to get information about moving with family x
We were thinking Phuket, outside Bangkok or Koh Samui. But Samui seems too quiet, for holiday it's great but for living there not sure.
Don't know anything about Chiang Mai.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 6:22 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know anything about Chiang Mai.
They speak Thai with a Geordie accent
Old Aug 31st 2016, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

They speak Thai with a Geordie accent
Interesting 😄
Is there many expats there and schols etc?
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:13 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Interesting 😄
Is there many expats there and schols etc?
Loads of expats, not sure about sandals (or did you means schools?)
Old Aug 31st 2016, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Loads of expats, not sure about sandals (or did you means schools?)
Sorry, auto correct!! Of course schools
Old Sep 8th 2016, 3:42 am
Ton
Just Joined

Ton has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond repute

We've been living in Chiang Mai for nearly a year now. It is in itself essentially a mini Bangkok.

There is a very large expat community present and a fair few schools for children of all ages. Plenty of gyms, places to shop, various activities depending on what you're into.

Chiang Rai is another option if you like the slower pace of life as there are far fewer people there, both locals and expats.

If you have any specific questions then let me know and I'll try to answer them.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I know Chiang Mai attracts a lot of older/retired folks plus many Chinese lately.
If you want to stay for a year, what visa are you planning to get? You mention small kids. So I guess you are below 50. This will limit your is a options unless your husband is employed and has a residence/work permit.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Moving to Thailand with the family

Although I am long term retired, I moved, Married, and took up residence, in my Wife's home City, Ubon Ratchathani. This is located well away from the Tourist Areas, over to the East, near to the Borders of Laos & Cambodia.

I found it a lovely Large City, with plenty going on, loads of Shops - including ice cream Parlours Markets Tesco supermarket, Big C, and Macro and Fairs and fetes and I consider it to be ideal to bring up children - with a Church of England School. I was living there for 5 Years, then returned for 5 years...

I will be moving back with my Wife in the Autumn - and I am 86 years of Age. it is far better than UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.