Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Moving personal and household items to Phuket

Moving personal and household items to Phuket

Old Jul 24th 2015, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Beajacks is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving personal and household items to Phuket

Hi, I have heard that importing household and personal items (already used) into Thailand is subject to a 200% tax. I have heard this is from friends who have just retired to Samui and because of this sold everything before their move. We are thinking of retiring to Phuket in a few years from Dubai, but everything we have read online seems to say the contrary and that one shipment of personal effects can be brought and if some things are taxable, its at a negligible rate not 200% Our friends told us that you get a different answer from all the different departments you speak to. Can I ask, what your personal experiences have been when relocating? We also have dogs that we will bring. How easy is this? many thanks
Old Jul 24th 2015, 12:26 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving personal and household items to Phuket

Hello and welcome to the forum

Our experience moving to Phuket from Singapore, albeit this was some 8 years ago, we didn't pay any tax as far as I recall. We had the retirement visas in place before moving. Always possible things have changed I guess.

Hopefully someone can confirm
Old Jul 25th 2015, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Sometimewoodworker is an unknown quantity at this point

I can give information related to my shipping 3cuM a few years ago. At that time I was not retiring but just married. The customs duties and tax were nowhere near 200%. We used a broker which you may need to or not, duties were about 7,000 baht or much less than 10%, the total including shipping to the northeast was 22,000 baht & it was close to 1 ton.

Having said that you should be able to bring yours in tax free if 1 of you is Thai, you may be able to if not. You may well need an agent to clear it for you but you can try yourself and then if your having problems then get an agent.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Beajacks is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both for your reply. It seems that our friends had got that totally wrong? It pays to do your homework i guess. Good advice using an agent, that would be a very sensible thing to do, as I want to make sure all our stuff arrives safely.