Moped hire in Patong

Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Moped hire in Patong

Roughly how much per day will I need to budget for and do I need a motorbike license?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice
Default Re: Moped hire in Patong

Originally Posted by discobay
Roughly how much per day will I need to budget for and do I need a motorbike license?
It's 200 to 250 baht per day and you can hire using your passport (don't let them keep...give them photocopy) and you can use your normal driving license (always carry it and wear helmet as there are regular stops)
Old Apr 18th 2013, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

I am very amazed how you guys are able to drive a motorbike or scooter without a driving licence, but just test it in a couple of minutes. Patong is situated in a valley and many accidents can take place along the hill. Every year holiday makers die due to road accidents in Phuket; check the unofficial stats in the Phuket News (http://www.thephuketnews.com/) then. Take care and have fun on this wonderful island.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I've driven mopeds many times but do not have a motorbike license. I've read that most businesses will rent a moped (and even a motorbike) to you without asking if you are licensed. I'm not keen on taking the test just for riding one for a week once a year or less but I understand your sentiments.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Quackers
It's 200 to 250 baht per day and you can hire using your passport (don't let them keep...give them photocopy) and you can use your normal driving license (always carry it and wear helmet as there are regular stops)
This place charges 300 baht but I'm finding it difficult getting prices from others on the web.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

This place charges 300 baht but I'm finding it difficult getting prices from others on the web.
There are hundreds of rental places in Patong. Your hotel can arrange bikes within an hour or you can walk along the street and find plenty of hire shops.

I used to pay 200 for 1 day but last time I was there (last year) most places were 250
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

okey-dokey
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:43 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

check the brakes work and the indicators work before you rent . Also check that you're insured .
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:00 am
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of

Officially you should get an IDP (International Drivers Permit) - available at any main Post Office for a fiver back home - however, if you have a tourist visa/waiver on arrival, and your home license is in English (or Thai I guess lol) then they will accept that. Ensure you have bike on the license though - again you would probably be let off, but officially bike licenses here in Thailand are separate from car licenses.

Take note of any damage to the bike first - and document it with them (they should have a form for this - usually a picture outline that you can draw the scratches and dents on) - if they don't give you a copy, photograph it with your phone. If you don't leave your passport, you most likely will need to leave as deposit (usually 5k baht). And as said above, check insurance and controls. Bring or buy or hire a helmet and wear it!

Buy (take with you) your own chain/padlock/brakelock and use it - some disreputable hire places have been known to steal them with a spare key and charge the punter for losing it - remember they have your address where it is likely to be parked. Don't trust security cameras (many are fake or not working) or security staff to keep it safe.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:11 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Some places are strange with what they want from you . Last time I hired a bike was in Pattaya with my wife and kids . I told then I didn't have my passport because it was in BKK so then we offered my wife's ID . They said they didn't require it , we just had to tell them where we were staying . I couldn't believe how trusting they were ,especially just off beach road in Pattaya . Maybe I've got a friendly face !
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:20 am
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Some places are strange with what they want from you . Last time I hired a bike was in Pattaya with my wife and kids . I told then I didn't have my passport because it was in BKK so then we offered my wife's ID . They said they didn't require it , we just had to tell them where we were staying . I couldn't believe how trusting they were ,especially just off beach road in Pattaya . Maybe I've got a friendly face !
I would guess they didn't have a working photocopier. It is illegal in Thailand for them to take your wife's Thai Id card - so at best they could have photo copied it and got her to sign it.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:25 am

I was just amazed at how easy it would have been to have driven off and they would never have seen the bike again .
Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I going to try and get away with leaving a photocopy of my passport. I'm only across the road in my hotel.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

They insisted on keeping my passport so I let it go. They didn't look like dodgy people and were quite friendly. I had a great time for the day riding up and over the hills to Kathu and up and down Patong beach. I would have gone south to Karon beach but ran out of time. Phuket town seemed a little too far for the little engine but maybe next holiday.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:47 am

They insisted on keeping my passport so I let it go. They didn't look like dodgy people and were quite friendly. I had a great time for the day riding up and over the hills to Kathu and up and down Patong beach. I would have gone south to Karon beach but ran out of time. Phuket town seemed a little too far for the little engine but maybe next holiday.
I'm sure it was all fine but I would have never let my passport go . Friendly or not things do get lost .
I'd have gone to another shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.